44 coaches online • Server time: 13:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2017 - 15:16 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be awesome if league could set up a house rule that every time overtime happens, there is blitz event. (Or just customize the kickoff table for overtime to balance for the coin toss.)

The point is to make overtime fair, and bananced for leagues that wants it that way. (And use overtime potentially in regular season, too.)

I think this option would be popular for every league that uses NFL theme at any capacity. (Looking around there are a lot of them.)

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2017 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Brilliant idea!
FRSHMN

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2017 - 16:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't get. Wouldn't that simply move the a**-card from the loser to the winner of the coin toss?
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2017 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont think so. But i could be wrong. If i am wrong, then a mix of blitz and else, or some messing with the probability of perfect defense would do the trick.

If the option is customizable, then i am sure there is a solution to even out the odds.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2017 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a great idea.

The winner of the coin toss gets to decide if they want to receive the kick or the first turn, and the receiver gets to set up knowing that there's going to be a Blitz! It's certainly fairer that the current system.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2017 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The Blitz! event on the kick-off table could UNDO the blitz! Smile

eDIT: and yes, it's definitely more balanced. The ball has to be retrieved behind enemy lines which isn't easy when the enemy expects it.
Nextflux

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2017 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Great idea, maybe coin toss is avoided more often too?
Squiglet

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2017 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been playing around with a house rule which basically does this for all kick offs - kicking team always gets first turn, ball lands at end of their turn 1. Trying to give either side a chance at getting the ball from any kick off.

It would advantage elves much more than slow bashy teams, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would 100% support this for overtime.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2017 - 09:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
The Blitz! event on the kick-off table could UNDO the blitz! Smile

eDIT: and yes, it's definitely more balanced. The ball has to be retrieved behind enemy lines which isn't easy when the enemy expects it.

Perfect defense could also offset the blitz result. Furthermore, there could be a mix of perfect defense and blitz.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2017 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like this rule. A guaranteed blitz! is enough to put the odds a lot closer to 50/50, all else being equal. Knowing a blitz! will happen does alter setups a lot; attacker will be conservative, defender will be hyperoffensive (especially if elves). This overtime rule does favor AG4 races, but having overtime in the first place favors bash races (since the third half could easily be 10 vs 5 players in favor of the bashy guys).

I'd also like to see an option where if there is no TD in overtime, the team that kicked for overtime wins.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2017 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

We used to use this rule in a table top league I was in...

It's not perfect, but it's far more balanced for deciding a draw...

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2017 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a good idea, thank you for sharing it
mekutata

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2017 - 13:44 Reply with quote Back to top

put the ball in the middle and players on their td line, then they have to run into the middle..
or have two balls at the same time making teams defend and attack at the same time..
call it a draw and schedule a rematch..

just suggestions,
have a nice weekend