58 coaches online • Server time: 23:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2017 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I like throwers For the extra RR
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2017 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

give him Pro... get ridiculed for it... win games because of it

OR give him TACKLE for better Blitzing

or give him GUARD to have a mobile assist
LilleJohn

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2017 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

PeteW wrote:
SH is good then you can fire the thrower. Throwers are bad.

Make him a ball carrier that is immune to strip ball. HE will also be useful as a safety.

Never pass the ball with orcs. Passing is bad.

Tackle, MB good on later normals. Dodge golden on a double.

ST, AG, MA all amazing.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'm gonna make him a ball carrier then, seems really nice not to have to use the thrower Smile

mdd31 wrote:
What team are you talking about? You don't have any teams showing on your profile. Is this an alt for another account?

Oh, right. Forgot to link my team. We've started a tabletop league at my school, which is why I don't have a team here Smile We got ourselves an OBBLM-site though! Here's the team: http://www.cobbl.org/index.php?section=objhandler&type=1&obj=2&obj_id=3

I was fortunate enough to get a double roll when the troll leveled up and gave him block, which from the other posts seems to have been the right choice ^^

Anyway, many thanks for all the help! Love the people on this forum Very Happy
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2017 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd go with mighty blow. do what blitzers are suppose to do. perhaps SH later, or passblock/shadowing.

You can do very well without a thrower on an orc team...but only if you're a cherrypicker.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2017 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
I'd go with mighty blow. do what blitzers are suppose to do. perhaps SH later, or passblock/shadowing.

You can do very well without a thrower on an orc team...but only if you're a cherrypicker.

Hehe what do you mean by cherrypicker? (remember, I'm a total newbie Very Happy)
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2017 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

A cherrypicker is someone who only takes matchups they're likely to win. Maybe they only play soft teams, or noob coaches, or teams without much Tackle. Some cherrypickers game to buff their CRs by playing advantageous developed teams at low TVs; once upon a time this was a big problem in Blackbox, which led to a change in the formula. Some cherrypickers game to buff their win rate or build their teams, by taking on opponents who will probably lose, or who will probably not do much damage, respectively.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2017 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

someone who conspires to play games where if the situation were reversed, they would refuse the game.

In this case, an orc team without passing ability will do well so long as they stick to games where they'll have bash superiority.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2017 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Throwers are horrible. Slow (Ma 5) and AV 8. An Orc team have field 8! MA6 players. That's actually quite decent. Skip the thrower. Be crazy, take some goblins instead!

(In all seriousness, if you need to score in 1, 2 or 3 turns, a goblin is your best ball carrier. Can be thrown, has dodge skill, has stunty skill (skip through tackles) and is your equal fastest player.)

Oscar Wilde
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2017 - 19:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I once thought that too especially since they have regular access to catch, sure feet etc.

Biggest problem is goblins typically only survive on the board about 2 turns. Just too juicy a target to ignore.

That's why I now use them for fouling. If they're going to leave the game early, better to do so on their own terms.

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2017 - 20:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, watch Arktoris play in NBFL, he's got a good handle of Orcs, but his schedule has been brutal of late
garyt1

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2017 - 07:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:

In this case, an orc team without passing ability will do well so long as they stick to games where they'll have bash superiority.

Passing is not so bad as a last chance thing. But if you do that you must already be struggling in the match. I think Orcs with a passer would more likely need to cherry pick to win than an effective Orc bash team without a passer would.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2017 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

that's an interesting conclusion, especially since it can be argued the data on fumbbl supports that. Though I'd say the most successful orc team is Fleetfoot's Revenge I, and they have a thrower. Hope Malmir enters the discussion and gives his take. I'd consider him the expert far more than me.

Yes, I'm suggesting passing is for when you're not up against a tomato can or for when nuffle decides to rob you of game control.

Passing is plan B.

So question now is...is preparing for plan B make you vulnerable to needing that plan B?

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2017 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

For Malmir:

sometimes throwers are worth keeping.... ;P
https://fumbbl.com/p/player?op=view&player_id=10396088

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2017 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Spartako (currently top Black Box Orc coach) plays with one Thrower, one Goblin and the Troll:

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?id=885550

So, although passing is not a plan A, it's still a valid emergency option.
Moreover, as Antithesisoftime said, a Thrower can be a Leader caddy.

He has a Thrower-less high TV team as well with a Blitzer ball carrier:
https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=796153
garyt1

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2017 - 19:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I see on the older team with no thrower he had a thrower before he retired when injured but didn't replace. Maybe as suggested above he likes a thrower on a young team till he gets a decent alternative carrier.