42 coaches online • Server time: 11:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2019 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

98 games played so only just behind the clock.

Post   Posted: Jun 02, 2019 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah you can see a lot of coaches with 100-ish matches now, you can tell they are the long distance runner types. Wink I had been planning to complete the 100 in May myself but then life happened, as it tends to do. 94 though so nothing that cannot be recovered.

Impressive record Dr Death!
fxiii

Post   Posted: Jun 05, 2019 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

fxiii wrote:
close to the end here, 6 gobbos game to play and we'll come with a positive record with goblins, pretty proud of that !!

humans, undead and high elves finished a couple of week ago, and made some poor records (20/19.5/19.5), not enough to play the title... bad ideas in team development and played wrong lead to that... most shamy is really undead, after a great start finally lost so many points...

but the top thing is Norses, 30 points on 30 games !! (ok only 27+3 for playing 30 but i believe it could be a top score this year !! 25-4-1 total record, yeah boyzz you deserve your valhalla !!

so next week i'll end my goblins, then try to make some good suggestions for season 3 Smile

finally i took my time for the last 6 games, just ended yesterday !! 12-6-12 after 0-1-5 in the last 6 games, goblins are really hard to play with 1's and 2's Smile

good thing is we have naf wc to wait till season 3 Smile
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2019 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Finally reached the 100 games milestone, 8 days behind schedule but that's still within the tolerance. My overall win rate is now 61 % (up from 56 % after 50 matches) so you can tell the second leg of the race went significally better, and my CR is back where it ought to be. Wink

High Elves: 11/6/3 (70%), completely vanilla team except for a +ST Catcher who basically carried the team to this record. One of my favourite rosters, no surprise here.

Norse: 12/4/4 (70%), very solid thanks to a +ST Runner and a +AG Dodge Lino, not taking the Yhetee paid off. They've been equal parts glass and cannon as could be expected, but lucky enough to dodge major perms. Fully expecting them to implode any time though.

Elven Union: 9/8/3 (65%), was lucky enough with injuries and doubles, Guard on Elves is just really powerful. I still think Union are the worst Elves but still a bargain for 2 points. Racial lead is only 23 points currently, they might even have a shot at that, though I expect someone else to bring in a higher score before it's over.

Khemri: 8/7/5 (58%), shaping up nicely, 8 points out of the last 10 matches, but their terrible start is still weighing down their record. Lost a Block TG but still have two, and now three with Break Tackle, ho, ho, ho...

Underworld: 5/7/8 (43%), up from 30% but still struggling, the plan was to build momentum early and that just went totally wrong. They have developed Blitzers and ball carrier now, need to keep them slim if I want them to improve but of course, they don't have Rookie protection any more.

Now for the last 50 matches. If they're more like the second 50 and less like the first 50, I might yet have a shot at the top 10...
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2019 - 09:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played 2 BBT2 games yesterday after a rush of games early, then a long hiatus (due to league commitments). More days than games to go, so i could realistically finish it. Yesterday's results were okay.
- Win with undeads (vs orcs).
- Tie with flings (vs high elves).

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2019 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

If you can keep up your current win rate you can take 1st place but of course the Flings are going to make that hard. Wink
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2019 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

GAUNTLET GO!

Your Blackbox Trophy Column, by Blasensky

Here we are again Blood Bowl fans, right at the start of the Summer break! Your man Blasensky is bringing you the latest update from the Blackbox Trophy. It’s a long distance race so the attention is bound to be focussed on the start and on the finish. And that finish is now visible in the distance, 3 months left to go, three quarters of the race done. 14 coaches have already completed the 150 games and another 28 have more than 100 games, so have a good chance of going the full distance. And we can already say it’s gonna be one hell of a finish.

Our first man across the goal line, Chivite, is still in 5th place with 111 points and 1 racial lead, so a top 10 position, which he told us he was hoping for, still seems very much achievable. In 4th place with 117 points and 3 racial leads is coach vicius, who has done it with the hardest imaginable squad--all three Stunties, Vampires, and Slann (more on Stunties in a minute). In 3rd place with 119 points and 2 racial leads is last year’s co-champion fxiii, who also boasts the best record with a single team, an incredible 30 points out of 30 games with Norse. His countryman BiBi is 2nd with 120 points and 2 racial leads, but importantly, 3 games yet to play with 2 teams. If he won all three that would be 5 points, and also currently the racial lead for Elven Union, worth another 1.5 points, so that would get him to 126.5. Which happens to be exactly the score of the current leader, Malmir, who also has 2 racial leads. It’s a photo finish between those two!

And neither the top score nor the racial leads are really safe yet. Watch out for DrDeath and bghandras, who are both coming in hot and both still with a very real chance of taking 1st place. PurpleChest and Strider84 are also on very good runs but don’t look like competitors for the title at this point, though Strider84 might once again indirectly decide it if he takes the Khemri racial lead, just like he did last year.

We’ve seen some really good scores not only with the top rosters, but also with tier 3 and 4. Coach vicius has already been mentioned, his 26.5 points with Slann put most of the tier 1 top scores to shame. He also has 16-16.5 points with all three stunty rosters, but only for Halflings is that still a racial lead. For Goblins, fxiii and PurpleChest share it at 18 points, which is a balanced redcord, 50 % win rate (over 30 games, with Goblins, in the Box, as a reminder). And for Ogres, bourbane has even achieved a winning record with 19 points! Really amazing coaching there, I highly recommend watching some of those replays.

So, not only does the Box Trophy continue to revitalize Blackbox Division, but it is also very far from being decided and continues to provide excitement to those who care to follow the scores. The change from 200 to 150 games has made a lot more coaches enter and, more importantly, finish the race. The competition is brutal, the top contenders are some of the best coaches Fumbbl has to offer, consistently pulling win rates above 70% with sub-par rosters. But that hasn’t stopped a lot of other coaches from making a run for it. Completing the 150 games is an achievement in and of itself, and we see a lot of coaches still going for it even though they don’t have a chance at a top spot. So cheers to them, that’s the spirit!
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2019 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure BiBi has given up, but hopefully not. Someone go poke him into playing Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2019 - 16:22 Reply with quote Back to top

great report, thanks !
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2019 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Last edited by MenonaLoco on Oct 23, 2021 - 23:29; edited 1 time in total
Chivite

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2019 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

you still got time to finish it if you ask me Very Happy
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 01, 2019 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I am aiming for the halfling racial lead. 9.5 points after 13 games.

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2019 - 03:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Finished today.

Concluding in much the same style as I started, my last match was my goblins vs some ogres, and I lost on the last turn of the game. I can take some comfort from the fact that I almost drew, and if Stewbacca hadn't had a reroll left for the climactic Bone-Head, his accursed AG4 ogre would still be standing gormlessly by the end zone while I celebrated a 1-1 draw. But that was not to be.

Final score 37. So I don't think I'll be troubling the top 10, but at this point only 17 other people seem to have completed 150 matches, so perhaps I should compare myself against them. 18th best isn't so bad, is it?

Humans: 1/5/24
Underworld: 3/5/22
Orcs: 2/4/24
Dark Elf: 4/3/23
Goblins: 1/5/24

So it looks like I'm as good at playing humans as I am at playing goblins. Goblins you know you're going to be frustrated. Humans have been a special torture device - I think the lowest point may have been failing a GFI into the end zone against JackassRampant after succeeding with an improbable chain of pick ups, passes into tackle zones and dodges.

I lost 39 of my first 50 matches, and 37 of the last 50, and statistics tells me that's not any better, which is a bit ghastly. However, most of the losses I've had recently I know why I lost, and the run of success I've had on tabletop shows something about how much this has raised my game. So who knows - BBT3 next year and hopes of improvement...

Post   Posted: Aug 24, 2019 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

And that concludes my run.

Overall, very enjoyable. Having the trophy to play for is an excellent encouragement to keep coming back, and a good excuse to run a variety of teams. 150 games is a lot though. I started with great enthousiasm in October, and played a lot during my holiday in May, but I needed games throughout the season to finish. The last few games in particular, when Goblins was the only team that hadn't completed their run, felt like a slog.

So how did I do? In my analysis, I will add the unused team budget points to the low cost team, and at the end adjust for the maximum team budget of 9.

[BBT2] Bashing Beasts - Chaos Dwarf - 12 wins (12), 9 draws (4.5), 30 completed games (3), no unused team budget (0) - 19.5 points total.
The Bashing Beasts put down a solid result, especially compared to some other teams on my roster. I was happy to have them here, but will probably select a different team next year for variety.

[BBT2] Stonehorn Butchers - Ogre - 5 wins (5), 6 draws (3), 30 completed games (3), 3 points unused team budget (7.5) - 18.5 points total.
I love playing ogres. An ogre team that doesn't bonehead is a force to be reckoned with. Sure, they are extremely unreliable, and fully deserve their position in the lowest tier, but I'm having fun with them, and their modified result is solid. Happy to play again.

[BBT2] Boxed Racers - Elf - 8 wins ( 8 ), 6 draws (3), 30 completed games (3), 1 point unused team budget (2.5) - 16.5 points total.
I find elves difficult to play, and it took me a long time to get the hang of them, not winning any of my first 10 games. As the season went on, I got better with them, ending up at quite a respectable score.

[BBT2] Bouncies Bawlers - Goblins - 3 wins (3), 1 draw (0.5), 30 completed games (3), 3 points unused team budget (7.5) - 14 points total
I'm almost certainly playing goblins wrong. With ogres, I feel I have options that might not work. With goblins, I quite often feel I have no options, and as a result, I have no fun with them. To make matters worse, they have a tendency to stay at low TV for me, which makes it less likely that they'll get paired. I eventually had to mono-activate them, just to get their games out of the way. I'm happy to be done playing with them, and probably won't be using them for a long time.

[BBT2] RBBC Guardian Dragons - Lizardmen - 5 wins (5), 9 draws (4.5), 30 completed games (3), no unused team budget (0) - 12.5 points total
Before the run started, I would have expected my lizardmen team to be the best performing of the five. Their playstyle is quite similar to ogres, I've won a RRR with lizardmen, and they are rightfully part of the top tier of teams. However, their results disappointed heavily. If felt that I drew games I should have won, lost games I should have drawn, and overall felt rather unlucky. However, that probably indicates that these are the games I can learn the most from. If I'm losing because of bad luck, then I probably should have avoided that risk in the first place. I'm planning to rewatch every single game I've played with them, and see where things go wrong. However, I like their playstyle, and would be happy to play them again. In fact, I'm quite likely to play them in the trophy next year, if only to improve on this performance.

Chaos Dwarf 19.5
Ogre 18.5
Elf 16.5
Goblin 14
Lizardmen 12.5
Team budget modifier -15

Total Score: 66 Points

Not a world shattering result, a lot of room for improvement, but I made the 60 point target I had set myself at the beginning of the season, and I completed the set. Overall, I can be happy with this, and am looking forward to next year.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 25, 2019 - 00:19
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Fascinating way to look at team points scored there Sableheart. I like it.Sable Heart Rankings noted (SHR)

I completed my run a few weeks back, but havnt posted it up.

Dwarf [BBT2]Purple Delvers 24/3/3
SHR-28.5

A respectable Dwarf run this year, sadly missing the magic 30 after getting close near the end but running into natural one turning woodies and Undead that had stolen Nuffles dice.

Humans [BBT2]Human Suffering 13/8/8
SHR-23.5
A tough season for the humans. Never really excelling and a lot of player turn over saw a struggle that was made to look a little better with 2 final wins after half the team died with 6 games to go.

High Elf [BBT2]High and Mighty 14/5/11
SHR-22
After a hard start the HE took flight and were looking like reaching a decent of not spectacular total, but they hit a wall of death and never recovered, limping home in a trail of losses.

Norse [BBT2]Nordic Purples 13/6/11
SHR-21.5
I still havnt a clue with Norse. they started slow, got going well, then I bought a Yheti, and fun as it was, starting losing and scraping draws.

Goblin [BBT2]Stress Relief 12/6/12
SHR-25.5
A rough early period that only really took flight in the late 20's when blessed with a +ag goblin, and another in the post game when he died. With SHR it seems goblins really punch their weight for me, unexpected.

The season was tough, i never really felt i was getting my value in the 2 point squads, two of which i consider myself OK with and Norse looked a value pick, but I really struggled to love them. Race leads for Dwarf and Goblin is nice, though Goblins may go, Dwarves I dont think will.

Jump to: