48 coaches online • Server time: 19:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Halfabrain

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I'm taking goblins to a tournament on the weekend and still unsure of what to bring. Rules pack is 1.1 with 3 doubles and 7 singles. Stars can be part of a starting 11.
I'm leaning towards taking Ripper,2 trolls, the doom diver and saw with 7 gobs, 3 rr and 1 bribe. This only leaves me with 12 players which I'm not overjoyed about but the alternatives aren't great either.
Any suggestions and advice would be gladly received.
pedro_fgomes

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi! In the last World Cup in Dornbirn one coach I played against went with no secret weap+ons and did quite well:http://www.nafworldcup.sbbm-turniere.com/1/B8A/B8AA01.html

Ripper, 2 Trolls with Block, Doom Diver with Catch and Sure Feet, Ooligan with Leader and Pogoer with Sure Hands. Then a bunch of goblins to fill 13 player roster. You might take a look at it.

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 13:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I'll see you there. Should be a fun day, if a stupidly early start.

I looked, and am still looking, very hard at Goblins as the rule pack is uninspired to put it mildly, and my DE ((DE and woodies are the natural choice for this one) are not ready to play yet.

I looked at your build as an option and dont love the lack of mens.

Other options:

2 Trolls Block and Leader
Ripper
Fungus
Saw
DD
8 Goblins (one block or DP)
1 reroll
1 Bribe

This is criminally short of rerolls.

1 Troll - Block
Ripper
Pogo - Block
Saw
DD
8 Goblins (one Block/DP or 7 and a bomber with HMP)

This is criminally short of Trolls.

So, any of the three leaves a notable weakness.

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 15:24
FUMBBL Staff

A bomber with Hail Mary pass will be well worth while I think.

Message Wolbum, he has used lots of goblins at tournaments and done well with them.

Ripper and two block trolls. Bomber (hmp) and chainsaw (dodge). Then top up on goblins, doom diver and RRs would be my plan (I’m being lazy and not calculating this last bit).
PeteW

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I played goblins at exactly this ruleset. I took:

Ripper
2 trolls + BLOCK/LEADER
Fanatic + BLOCK (essential)
saw
doom diver + dodge
7 gobs
RR
2 Bribes (crucial)

A scattering of SS elsewhere is useful.

I finished 2-2-0!

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Also there was this coach at dornbirn who brought a Leaping Chainsaw to the torunament and was responsible for 2 pitch clears Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 18:23
FUMBBL Staff

After using the magic power of ARTFR (actually reading the XXXXX rules) it turns out there s no stunty award, so that makes Goblins less attractive.

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

@PC I did have a moan about that and apparently there is a Stunty Cup, it just got left off the rules pack...
Halfabrain

Post   Posted: Feb 19, 2020 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the responses gents👍
As a profligate spender of rerolls I think 3 is a minimum and sticking leader on a troll instead of block feels like giving up too much just to get an extra goblin.
Ripper and 2 blk trolls plus a saw sounds like fun though perhaps not quite as much as a leaping chainsaw...
Hmp bomma is great but with so many Elves cluttering up the place I doubt I'll get much joy from him.
I'd love to find room for a fanatic and pogo but it would mean giving up Ripper.
I know a few people who've had success with a no weapons build but as the saying goes "try blodging a chainsaw pointy ears".
I could lose the bribe for another player or use leader on someone for the same but I'd like a gob with strip ball or wrestle.
Endrophil

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2020 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I am late to the party but I am in with a hail mary bomber setup with Ripper

let me say my 2 cents:
- any fanatic gets -2d blocked without block or even with block
- any saw is just player with a mark on its forehad
- Ripper should be the best as a doom diver thrower
- hail mary brings confusion for your opponent and chances to your playstyle
- ooligan is something unexpected and maybe underrated in tournaments
- doom diver is essential.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Feb 22, 2020 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooligan is very much worth considering in ripper build imo, that +1Fame gives you not unreasonable odds of getting back one of the rerolls you need to dump to get ripper in.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2020 - 00:54
FUMBBL Staff

I'll Let Halfabrain talk about his tourney, but here's how mine went.

(cross posted to my blog)

I did take Goblins, i've had a very tough week, one good friend suddenly died, leaving behind a 20 year old son who is severely disabled and needs constant care. Another good friend, my wife's best friends husband, has been diagnosed with bowel cancer and is having an operation 5 days after the diagnosis, do that's bleak, and my family is in the midst of a huge row over my mothers will/power of attorney planning. Add it's been half term so bored kids underfoot and the wife has been working from home all week which is always 'fun'. I've had easier weeks.

So i took Goblins, feeling it would help me relax and have fun and not be too competitive, and not care. Just some BB to lighten my week and change the paradigm and the mood.

Well that didnt work.

I did a little bit of everything i was planning with a lot of help from PeteW's post. My thanks to him.
2 trolls with Block and Leader.
Ripper
Ball And Chain with Block
Chainsaw with Dodge
Doom Diver with Catch
5 Goblins with Side Step
2 Goblins naked.
2 Bribes
1 Reroll

Ripper was OK, but excellent at OTTD throwing.
the Trolls were alright, i did miss Block on Troll 2, but less than I expected.
the Dodge Chainsaw was sort of handy twice, but I'm not sure I'd dodge it up again.
the Block Fanatic is probably better than the 4th step and MB of Fungus, and 10k cheaper. And with the advantage that you could reroll if really really needed.
Doom Divers need catch. Definitely. Won me a game.
Im not sure DT without Side Step is worth it, 5 side steppers caused all sorts of problems for people.
2 Bribes was great, but i think one could work, choose what is likely to be effective and save that. Saw vs elves, Ball and Chain vs Str, or whatever is still alive.
I needed more rerolls of course, but something had to give.

Game one was vs pro elves. In Rain, i toyed with kicking but decided to receive. A miss-field i didn't feel i could reroll led to elves in the backfield threatening my ball but the saw sorted it eventually and killed 2 good elves, including his leader thrower, and we got it away up the field. turn seven saw some poor dice mean we got 2 goblins away, with the ball, in range to score but had to use a reroll on the one 2 die block that got us free (only needed a push), and the first 3+ dodge for the third goblin to close the door and protect the ball came up 2 reroll 2 and the ball was exposed, a wrestle catcher had to do a GFI for 2 die, got the pow and instead of side stepping forwards and infield, where other elves could well have got to the ball, i elected to gamble by side stepping backwards but still on the edge and the ball went out, the throw in was a huge 10 spaces back towards my endzone where ripper was holding 2 elves left behind by my surge forward. the bounce took it onto one of those elves, who caught it on a 5+ and despite me TTMing a gob the 2 die uphill failed and it was 1-0 to the pointy ears at the half.

second half the Ball and Chain smashed into his cage killing a Blitzer and giving the assist to allow one dice on the ball and my greater numbers eventually led me to secure ball and I ran it in for 1-1.

Second game and it was High Elves. Again I received and drove it home despite some 5+ and 4+ into cage dodging, the ball went to ground, Goblins went dead, but so did some elves and we started the second half one nil up and 10 vs 9. I got a BLitz, but he recovered it, I got it back again and it was nip and tuck fr several turns until a key Troll kill secured the space and we ran it in.

He scored in reply, but was never going to have the time for a draw, and in turn 8 Ripper and the DD combined to give me a three nil with a classic DD endzone landing TTM. So 3-1.

Game three was vs Undead. A long roster of 14, with tackle wight, 2 ghouls with blodge and sure hands and a guard wight and guard mummy. they caused a lot of casualties, the saw skulled his first hit and went off KO, came back second half and went off in 3 turns again. The Ball and Chain did fine, not really causing damage but moving stuff about and stunning a few key zombies. I got three cas, but all regen worked and in reply he took 4 of my guys off permanently. I got the 1-0 halftime but second half looked bleak. Especially when he killed a troll early on and my regen failed. But we soldiered on making it hard for him to progress and when he could have scored in turn 14 he elected to stall while trying to kill the Doom Diver. He didnt and a turn 16 DD classic (with huge thanks to caatch) saw me win 2-0.

So i was on table 2 for the final game, Undead again. this time Tackle and MB wights, and a guard Mummy, 4 Ghouls , 2 Blodgers and 2 naked, with Zombies making up to 12. He kicked to me and got a Blitz, but hit with the MB wight and not the tackler and when i side stepped leaving no path through he tried to dodge a Blodge ghoul through and it died. this also left me able to surf a ghoul, but it went to reserves, and when the following saw blitz on another ghoul failed to break armour, the MB wight killed it. The need to sort the Blitz out left my Ball and Chain exposed and it went to the KO box and never came back, a Mummy risked a one die blitz and when it was a skull rerolled it into a pow. Despite losing my weapons I dominated the first half and scored fairly easy, but at great cost. My Ko box was filling and few came back for the second half. Which then went worse. He caught the kick off, ran it forward and a troll went KO leaving gaping holes he was able to rush through. Maybe a little too rushed, as I had a fairly easy one die on the Ball Carrier, needing only 2 GFI. Bu tit still cost a reroll, so when the one die went in on the blodger and it came up skull, he was through and clear.

Bizarrely he chose to stall up when he could have scored n three, but he had a plan, kill my Doom Diver. He managed it eventually but not before Ripper was next to the Ball Carrier with a Goblin in support, so he scored turn 14 leaving me three to equalise. 3 of 4 Goblins recovered finally, and the troll came back, but not the Ball and Chain. I feinted up the right with all three trolls and 2 Goblins as i recovered the ball and he moved everything there to stop me, except one lone ghoul that tried to run through and base the ball carrier. It snaked a GFI, but even if it had got there it only added a 3+ with dodge reroll and one gfi. So I ran to the left and handed off to the 2 Goblins i had left midfield that side. the had off cost me my last reroll and while i risked one GFI without i left the other to the final turn, there was one ghoul that could reach them and block progress but Ripper and his lovely grab would allow me to move him to where he couldnt and that urgently needed doing. It was a 2 die and came up Skull/Both down, so Ripper sort of did the job, but it prevented me blocking the tackle wight who with 2 GFI and a pow on the covering goblin was able to base the BC from behind. the other wight was able to do 2 GFI and base the downed Golbin so the only option was a 3+2+ to win. The 3+ failed. So a 1-1 draw.

Meanwhile on table one the 2-1-0 Flings (!) beat the 3-0-0 humans 2-0, so even had I won game 3 with that 3+2+, i would only have been second. And not won the stunty cup. As it was i finished in a pack on 2-2-0 or 3-0-1 and didnt come in the top three (I only got one of the 4 bonuses available, one per game).

the winner richly deserves all praise, Winning a 40(ish?) person tournament with Flings, Top Casualties award, Top Stunty award and best painted. truly an impressive performance. I was probably not even second best stunty coach, as someone also got 2-2-0 with Ogres!

So a great day. I'll take 2-2-0 with Goblins and the plan to escape my worries for a day was a total success, the plan to 'not care and just have fun' somewhat less so. I did have a LOT of fun, but it clearly isn't in my nature to not really care (when the turn 16 TTM worked I confess I let out a mighty roar of joy), and i might have to work on that.

But you know what? The worst thing that happened to me today was failing a 3+2+ to come second in a Blood Bowl tournament, and that makes it a damn good day.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2020 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Happy the tourney made you happy! And nice jobs with the gobbos- they are difficult, at best, to run in a competitive environment!
Halfabrain

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2020 - 10:24 Reply with quote Back to top

My tournament was a little less successful.
Game 1 vs a fouling necro build started badly with poor play compounded with anemic hitting on my part losing me the ball and leaving me 1-0 down at half time. Early in 2nd half it was my opponent's turn to make a mistake and I turned the ball over with a saw blitz on his ghoul to run away and draw it 1-1.
Game 2 vs Undead started better as fter kicking I at least made him work very hard for a 1st half score. 2nd half was slow but just as things started falling apart Ripper sent the DD over for the equaliser around t5 and after I'd killed his wolf my oppo couldn't get the winner.
I was very happy with the way I played in game 3 vs Underworld and think I'd have been nailed on for a nice victory if only I'd been able to pick up the damned ball. 2 successes from 10 attempts, wasting 2 RRs in each half. Still might have got something from the game but Ripper did what Ripper does and double skulled at a crucial moment and that was that. A 2-0 loss and any hope of getting something from the tournament went with it.
Game 4 was vs humans and all I'll say is the cas count was 7-0 in their favour. Not much you can do with that. 2-0 it finished. Or it might have been 3, by then it didn't really matter.

Don't think it was a great rules pack for stunties, though the guy who brought flings ended up finishing 1st with most Casualties and best painted to boot so what do I know...
I think my build might have done ok if I'd had better luck in games 3 and 4, Ripper+ DD is great but you can't base your game plan around it and 12 players really isn't enough.
Was a fun day out and nice to catch up with PC and the rest of the lads. Looking forward to the next one.
 Jump to: