40 coaches online • Server time: 00:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2020 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Fumbbl has Old World before... for those of us who were around when fumbbl started in 2003/04, we had a team and my Old World team had a 14/0/5 record: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=53485
James_

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2020 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I would have bought spike if there was anything new in there, new stars etc, but there is no need apart from some fluff.

New underworld/goblin star! But nope, disappointed.
Alien_the_Alien

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2020 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

ceetee wrote:
Had a look at Spike 9 - it’s a decent read. The one oddity was the GA access for gutter runners in the roster, but multiple references to them being able to get mutations on normal rolls.

That and loner on the OWA dwarves probably tell us something about GW's test process, or at least the last step.
Which, in both cases, seems to be a nerf that doesn't make a lot of sense thematically. The testers probably played more with animosity on the dwarves and a gutter with mutation access on normal rolls, since there are still references to that in the Spike 9.

It would be interesting to know how the tests went and why exactly they did those last minute nerfs. Is it because they found the rosters too powerful? What were the alternative? Do they lest the new teams at diverse levels of team value? Do they test simultaneously different compositions and compare them to select the ones with the results that are closer to their goal?
James_

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2020 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe they thought animosity on a dwarf longbeard doesn’t really nerf anything? Not defending, just thinking.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2020 - 20:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Alien_the_Alien wrote:
It would be interesting to know how the tests went and why exactly they did those last minute nerfs. Is it because they found the rosters too powerful? What were the alternative? Do they lest the new teams at diverse levels of team value? Do they test simultaneously different compositions and compare them to select the ones with the results that are closer to their goal?

....or do they, as with that awful Rules compendium from last year, sometimes just print completely the wrong rosters in their products and then have to go back and errata them? Very Happy

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Alien_the_Alien

Post   Posted: Jul 11, 2020 - 23:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I'm a bit optimistic about how GW does things.

Coffee_Monster wrote:
Maybe they thought animosity on a dwarf longbeard doesn’t really nerf anything? Not defending, just thinking.

Yeah but it didn't have to be a nerf, it's mostly there for thematic reasons. While loner is clearly a nerf (though not such a big one).
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

When you roll a double skull in an important turn and you can't rr it you realize that Loner is a big nerf.
The same goes for a Loner Halfling failing his Catch, landing roll or GFI when trying to score with TTM.
Basically Halflings can't be used for their only purpose.
James_

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

well Griff is a loner and he is fine!! just need to roll a couple stats and doubles on the dwarf blitzer!??.. haha
James_

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

well Griff is a loner and he is fine!! just need to roll a couple stats and doubles on the dwarf blitzer!??.. haha
Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep in mind, 5/6 of the Loner Dwarves start with Block. They will be reasonably reliable anyway and unlike big guys, don't have bonehead, WA etc. The Dwarf runner and halflings are a bit dubious, but at least they have some starting skills to maybe find a niche in a team.

I like the fact the team has a new and different dynamic and will require a different game plan, rather than just being a cookie cutter copy of, say, Chaos Pact.

Get Pro and Guard on the Dwarves (excl runner) and Guard on the ogre and get them stuck in the middle to grind with the other team while the humans do the finessey stuff around then?

Oscar Wilde
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Will you play it in the Box?
Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 01:55 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
Will you play it in the Box?

I mostly just play in the SWL league these days (the biggest, best and oldest League on FUMBBL). I would definitely consider drafting Old World when I finish or get bored using my current vampire team. Old World isn't tier 1 but even with loner dwarves is probably somewhere between tier 2 and 3 ( where tier 3 are underworld, vampires, chaos, Nurgle, Khorne, Slann in tournament play).

I would also bring them for a tabletop tourney, particularly if they got tier 3 bonuses!

Oscar Wilde
Alien_the_Alien

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 11:06 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
When you roll a double skull in an important turn and you can't rr it you realize that Loner is a big nerf.
The same goes for a Loner Halfling failing his Catch, landing roll or GFI when trying to score with TTM.
Basically Halflings can't be used for their only purpose.

A double skull is still just 1/36. Add to this that it has to be on a turn where you would absolutely need to do it. Add to this that the loner still had 1/2 chances to work, and you would absolutely try to reroll if it's on an important action.
At the end, yes it's a nerf, but not as much as reducing basic stats for example, or not having access to fast players, etc. Dwarves are still good players with strength access and block as a starting skill (except the runner). Loner doesn't make them unplayable, because they don't use a lot of rerolls anyway. You will "feel" the loner maybe once or twice per match. Old world alliance is exactly the kind of team that can start with 1 or 2 rerolls and perform well. I've seen too many teams with only a leader reroll in NAF performing very well to believe that loners are a big nerf.

It does change a bit how you play the team but overall it's still robust, and probably more tier 2 than 3, especially at low team values, simply because it starts with a lot of skills.

The case of the halfling is different. Without a reroll, all its 3+ and 4+ actions become dubious. All it can do reliably is fouling after one dodge. But anyway, even without loner it's not a good player for this team, even worse than a gobbo in an orc team, because it's slower, more fragile, and in a team that already had a fast MA8 player for OTTD.

The main problem of the team is how boring it looks, imo.
spubbbba

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Coffee_Monster wrote:
Well I would have bought spike if there was anything new in there, new stars etc, but there is no need apart from some fluff.

New underworld/goblin star! But nope, disappointed.

Yeah that is a shame, the teams that were released before spikes haven't had much in the way of stars.

Dwarfs have lost a star since crp as they can't have Zara anymore.
Humans lost Zara to be replaced with Karla and gained Frank.

Orcs have the same as crp and goblins gained Madcap Miggz.

Only Elf union have the full set of 10 since it looks like Bob gets counted as the 10th from now on. Though

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2020 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:

I mostly just play in the SWL league these days (the biggest, best and oldest League on FUMBBL).

no disrespect, but cibbl beats you in the biggest and best department Wink

Jump to: