42 coaches online • Server time: 19:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which turn limit fix would you prefer?
1. Timeout! button
23%
 23%  [ 72 ]
2. Pause button + start of turn blanking
27%
 27%  [ 86 ]
3. Global emergency timer
41%
 41%  [ 129 ]
4. Something else (explained below)
8%
 8%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 313

Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 15:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

While I cannot promise that SkiJunkie can implement these options, I want to see what you people think of three proposed solutions to the turn limit problem.

1. Timeout! button
Has been referred to as Illegal procedure in previous threads. Using another term to not mix it with the real BBowl term of the same name.

Pros: Quick and easy
Cons: Can cause hostility to others for using it. Technically tricky to fully synchronize two clocks, which could cause arguments ("I had 3 seconds left!"). Potentially makes the turn limit useless.

Basically a pause button, allowing you to pause the game in emergencies. Blanks the screen when paused. Combined with an auto-pause at the start of your turn.

Pros: Handles emergencies well, where you have to walk away from the keyboard.
Cons: Not so good for the social chatting problem. Possible to circumvent using a screenshot.

3. Global emergency timer
An extra timer (say 15 minutes) which starts ticking when your 4 minutes are up. You can still play on while this emergency timer is not fully exhausted. Gives you 15 minutes to spend on whatever RL emergencies appear, or just increases your time allowed by about a minute per turn (enough for friendly chatting)

Pros: No extra buttons to deal with. Adds the competetive aspect of the timer while still allowing for some RL stuff to go on.
Cons: Technically a bit harder to implement.
rostern

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 15:48 Reply with quote Back to top

i think it's pause buttom and one time in one game only !one time! Smile Very Happy
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Voted for the pause button since I think the biggest problem with 4 minute turns is just that once-in-a-while phonecall or such during a game. 4 minutes should be plenty to play AND chat for most coaches anyway.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted pause and blank....if someone is gonna screen shot and all that then well.....they have too much time on thier hands anyway. Plus I chat it up big during games and I have no probs finishing my turns.
pac

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
Basically a pause button, allowing you to pause the game in emergencies. Blanks the screen when paused.

Cons: Not so good for the social chatting problem.

Only the pitch need be blanked out, so chatting needn't be impossible.

All three approaches sound good to me. Smile

Last edited by pac on Feb 27, 2007 - 15:56; edited 1 time in total
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Global emergency button. Seems like a good solution to me, although I'm honestly not bothered between pause button or global emergency one.

I dont like the cons of option 1.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the second two, but blanking of the pitch makes the most sense.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 15:59
FUMBBL Staff

pac wrote:

I'm fully aware of that, but my point is that I personally like to chat while playing. I type fast, so that's not a problem for me, but others type slower and having to pause the game to chat seems... odd.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I voted for option 3 - this would be ideal, I think. It's a cure-all, I can chat, answer the phone, and the uber-slow players are still limited to an enforced time limit when I'm playing them or speccing. Perfect.

-snip!-

Last edited by Purplegoo on Feb 27, 2007 - 16:21; edited 1 time in total
Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Suggestion:

4: You can violate the 4 minute rule once per half. This won't add 15 minutes to your whole time, which would allow you to increase your used time per turn by about a minute (as stated), but will force you not to violate the rule except for emergencies which really shouldn't happen more than once per half. The violation could be infinite, but it could also be cut to, say, 15 minutes.

Kind of a "One timeout per half" thingie.

From the three versions mentioned I'd take 3.

Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Was split between options 1 & 3, but decided on 1 as the simplest. 3 is ok but doesn't really serve a purpose imo.

Fama

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
pac wrote:

I'm fully aware of that, but my point is that I personally like to chat while playing. I type fast, so that's not a problem for me, but others type slower and having to pause the game to chat seems... odd.

Well, the game "pauses" anyway when a slow typer types. I always like it better if he'd, you know, finish his turn quickly and talk on my turn. I have plenty of time to type, since I play quickly (and often very foolishly) and also type pretty quickly.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
Global emergency button. Seems like a good solution to me, although I'm honestly not bothered between pause button or global emergency one.

I dont like the cons of option 1.

I agreed Razz btw in often cases hard option is much efectively but option 2 sounds good to me as well.

Jesli chcesz pokoju, szykuj sie do wojny.

Last edited by spiro on Feb 27, 2007 - 16:08; edited 2 times in total
Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I voted for option 3 - this would be ideal, I think. It's a cure-all, I can chat, answer the phone, and the uber-slow players are still limited to an enforced time limit when I'm playing them or speccing. Perfect.

However, if it proves too hard to implement, option 1 is a good compromise. Perhaps if each player were limited to 2 Timeouts! a game, it copes with both the RL emergency, and the "Oh crap I'm still chatting about those double skulls at 3 minutes, now I'm in a rush and will screw up" moment. If there were unlimited timeouts, as you have suggested, the time-limit would be rendered useless. Plus the timeout could be used as a strategic tool - for instance a very important turn in a major could take more than 4 minutes to evaluate, but if we only have 2, when it's gone, it's gone!

Although - adding another strategic non-LRB layer/tool, good or bad? Confused

As I understood it, 1) doesn't mean a timeout as in basketball or american football, but allows the opposing player to click a button once the 4 minute siren sounded to simply end your turn.

Stormbringer

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2007 - 16:05
FUMBBL Staff

For the record, I personally voted for option 3. With the following reasoning:

1. Timout button makes the turn limit optional. I feel that the turn limit is a step in making R more competetive, and do want it in place for there.

2. Blanking. I wouldn't be able to stand having the field blank out. Visually, it looks horrible. Especially if it blanked out at the start of my turns... The possibility to circumvent the blanking with a screen shot is also a big con for me.

3. Global timer. No buttons to click, no visual glitches. 15 minutes (or whatever) should be enough to keep the turn limit relevant, and add the thrill of the game.

So to me, it's an easy choice.
 Jump to: