64 coaches online • Server time: 21:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vitas

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

With woody I like to place 2 linemen near the tree (with guard) in the los, to protect a bit my players.
How can I place other players?

Are there Defensive schemes for less than 11 players?
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

This is how I used to set up with woodies:
Code:
....|..WCW..|....
....|...C...|....
....|...X...|....

T=Tree
L=Lino
W=Wardancer
C=Catcher
X=whatever else you want on the field

This way you protect your important players W/C from turn 1 blitz+foul actions. And besides that I like to force my opponent down the side as that makes it easier to contain them. When I have less than 11 players I take them away from the back rows first.
pac

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 12:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer a quite different approach:
Code:
..W.|.......|.W..
....|...X...|....
....|.......|....

T=Tree
L=Lino
W=Wardancer
C=Catcher

This protects fewer players than Rijssiej's set-up, but makes it much harder for the opponent to block all your potential routes for breaking at speed into his half.

The actual players that fit into the different spots need not match the positions shown. However, players that you want to protect should go into the W and X slots, Sidesteppers should go into the C slots, and your fastest players should be positioned wide.

As you run out of players you can remove the W and X positions or, if you still want to protect one or more of the players you have left in particular, you can remove the flanks.
pac

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It can also be nice to experiment with an off-set defence, something like:
Code:
..W.|.W.....|....
....|.....X.|....
....|.......|....

T=Tree
L=Lino
W=Wardancer
C=Catcher

Your speed means you're not actually committing, and that the seemingly easy-to-attack flank is actually quite defensible. This kind of set-up can often throw an opponent and create space for you to kick into.
liquidorange

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

This is me:

Code:
..C.|.W...W.|.C..
....|.......|....
....|.......|....

T=Tree
L=Lino
W=Wardancer
C=Catcher

Catchers should be either a) diving tacklers or b) shadowers -- perferably with tackle, but not essential for most teams. Outside linos should be sidesteppers, forcing the opponent to run past the catchers by sidestepping to the empty square.

Wardancers should also be shadowers/diving tacklers.
Uberskiller

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Code:
.C..|W.....W|..C.
....|.......|....
....|.......|....

T=Tree
L=Lino
W=Wardancer
C=Catcher

I like this setup better than liquid's as you can pretty much your oppo to break through your line of defense.
sKink

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Uberskiller wrote:
Code:
.C..|W.....W|..C.
....|.......|....
....|.......|....

T=Tree
L=Lino
W=Wardancer
C=Catcher

I like this setup better than liquid's as you can pretty much your oppo to break through your line of defense.

1 frenzy kills it.

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 16:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It's already assumed that the players in the C slot have sidestep.
elf_gurl

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

A question or two...

Why put the Catchers in a position where they can get blitzed?

If you're playing a team with a lot of restricted mobility (Orcs, Dwarfs or Undead of various sorts) is it worth keeping most of your players back 5 squares from the LOS so your opponent can't use his strongest players to blitz you?

The answers are probably obvious, I'm just a newb...
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

elf_gurl wrote:

If you're playing a team with a lot of restricted mobility (Orcs, Dwarfs or Undead of various sorts) is it worth keeping most of your players back 5 squares from the LOS so your opponent can't use his strongest players to blitz you?

I used to do that, but then I lost almost every game. I think it's because I gave up too much of my side of the board and made it too easy to score. Now I put players within 2 squares of the LOS and win more often. It allows you to wrap around and sack the ball carrier in the back...especially when the kick-off event is a blitz.

Having players up that close does get them hurt more often but don't worry....they're professionals and use to that sorta thing Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, if you get Blitz! you want to be deep in their half, covering the ball by the time they actually get their go if you can :p
Even if you don't get Blitz! you want to be forcing them to keep lots of players deep to cover their thrower/ball carrier so they've got few at the LOS, you'll actually take less damage often!

Edit: I generally set up my LOS guys separated though, hoping to get a few guys on the LOS against me. Then they get stuck static pushing my guy around till they splat him, allowing me to more easily pressure the ball-carrier behind them. Downside: Your LOS guys will get POW'd almost every time Sad
elf_gurl

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:

I used to do that, but then I lost almost every game. I think it's because I gave up too much of my side of the board and made it too easy to score. Now I put players within 2 squares of the LOS and win more often. It allows you to wrap around and sack the ball carrier in the back...especially when the kick-off event is a blitz.

I was slowly coming to that conclusion... it's virtually certain that someone will be able to set up a 2d blitz on turn 1, I might as well live with it.

By contrast, a cautious Orc team does advance very slowly against Wood Elves (or at least did in my last game), and holding them up another 3 squares might force them to take a risk later on...
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

This is how I set up. I put my Tree on the LOS (duh) because that is where he belongs. Two linefodder linemen complete my LOS, no need to give away more blocks. The rest of my team are at least two spaces away from the LOS to remain out of reach in the event of the Quick Snap kick-off.

The three players directly behind the LOS are there to shield the rest of the team. The players on the outside of that line are most likely to be blitzed. My sidesteppers go here, because they can sidestep "inwards" to prevent a gangfoul from occurring. The player in the middle could get blitzed depending on how the LOS holds up, but isn't going to be gangfouled.

The positions for the Wardancer, Catcher, and Thrower are safe from blitz + foul (barring some bizarre leap or dodging combo). The most important and/or valuable players go on those spots. The WD, Catcher and Thrower in the picture are just examples, they could be any other important player.

On the back row, the two players in the same column as the thrower are safe from gangfouls but not from a blitz. I put my DPs here.

The advantage of this setup as I see it is that it leaves the diagonals open for my own players to move to and from either side of the field, while shielding 5 players with only 3.

This setup also seems to encourage my opponent to advance through either side of the field, and usually they set up accordingly. This makes a Blitz! result fairly dangerous for them, since my fast players almost reach the entire field. If I had a wider kickoff setup, my opponent also sets up his team wider, making it harder for me to "defend agressively".

My opponent advancing into my half isn't a problem, because Woodies are fast enough to deal with them. In fact, the more spread out the other team is, the weaker they probably are in comparison. I figure this is due to other teams having more Guards than Woodies. Guard is more useful if players are closer together - and conversely, less powerful if spread out.

All in all, it fits my playing style well since I present few viable fouling targets on the first turn (the Tree mostly) while allowing me a lot of freedom to move around... and get the first good foul in. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

elf_gurl wrote:
A question or two...

Why put the Catchers in a position where they can get blitzed?

I'm not in the business of being overprotective. A Dauntless Catcher is worth looking after, and will go in a 'W' slot in my set-up. A rookie Catcher will also be screened off, if possible. A Catcher with normal skills deserves everything he gets for such dull rolls.

Quote:

No. If you're that far back, you can't threaten the ball. You may (for one turn) stop him from blitzing, but you also give up your best chance of winning the match.
zenbitz

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I notice these are all
Code:
LTL

instead of
Code:
L.T.L

Is this because of the Tree? Otherwise (LLL vs. LxLxL) opp can get 3 2dB with 4 guys instead of 5. Or does this not really matter?
 Jump to: