53 coaches online • Server time: 16:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Deej84

Post   Posted: Mar 05, 2009 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm one step ahead of you, I've downloaded Vassal and keep trying to work the thing out, so far, I can't get my tiny lil troll sized brain round it lol.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2009 - 01:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Vassal you say......how hard can it be................ Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2009 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm.....I see there is a Hero Quest "module" (see how I pick up the lingo so quickly Smile). Would it be easier to just modify that?

Clearly it already has the concept of 4 players and a DM/GM. Also it would have some usable (until we can do better) icons. I presume it will also have some kind of understanding of turn sequence and movement, which should all help?

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2009 - 02:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Ew it has dice and treasure cards too!

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2009 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hero quest and warhammer quest are quite different in their gameplay, but if someone managed a module for one, it should be fairly doable. I wonder if I can pick up a Java Programming for people scared of computers book.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2009 - 07:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Here it is, Hero Quest. Had a little play myself last night, seems pretty doable to me:)

It's a starting point at least. As Hero Quest is so basic it, hopefully there shouldn't be to much to remove, mainly just stuff to add.

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2009 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a quick play about with the HQ module (both actually playing it and editing it). It seems the game is largely left to the players to self-enforce the rules, i.e. count squares moves, not walk through walls, decide how many dice to role, implement the effects of the rolls, etc.

This makes it ideal IMO, because it means will very little work (changing the board pieces mainly) we could actually use it to play WQ.

It's easy to modify the randomised buttons to do pretty much what you want. So it would be pretty simple to implement a room randomiser, event randomiser, treasure randomiser, etc. It's mainly just uploading the actual pictures.

Taking it a step further to make the game more JBB-like, where the game itself would actually enforce rules presumably would be much more hard work, but I think got it so it was playable by implementing my above suggestions we would have a great foundation to build upon.

What do you think?

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2009 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry guys, I was away with the gf for a long weekend but am back now, glad to see you guys have carried on without me and made some good progress too. I like all I have just read and modifying the HQ thing should be a great lil project for me to start playing around with hehe.

Jump to: