40 coaches online • Server time: 19:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
maysrill

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2009 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Once you get settled with the your particular team management issues, I'll expand on pythrr's point about low TR versus higher TR (minus the dig at Chewie).

At low TR you're playing a lot of games where teams aren't developed. A couple games in, woodies won't have all their positionals, lizardmen might not have any skills at all on their sauruses, and chaos is a bunch of unspectacular guys who can all make ST4 blitzes. Your norse can stand toe-to-toe with dwarfs with a little luck surviving knockdowns as they aren't loaded up with Guard and MB yet, and no one but dwarfs or chaos dwarfs is happy to see amazons.

Low TR is vanilla, cookie cutter. Show me a 100/83 ogre team on GF and I'll quote you their exact team makeup. As you get up in TR, how you handle the advancement of your team is almost as big an issue as the actual in-game strategy. Two 100/104 rookie woody teams is a dead-even matchup, but two 180/175 wood elf teams may be a horrible mismatch if one team took all block/tackle on their linos and the other took all dodge/SS. If you take Strip Ball and Pro as the first two skills on every saurus your TS will be the same as if you took Block and MB (I'd have said Block + Guard but that's actually a little higher TS).

Keeping players with 'n' or -stats is another choice that effects how well your high-TR team plays. A cake-walk matchup can turn into an impossible task if your two 'n' super-blitzers happen to no-show for the same game. On the other hand, that DP/kick line-elf with -av probably does his job just fine.

In summary: Low TR = fewer team decisions = just in-game skills needed. High TR = lots of teambuilding to manage = just as much works between games to keep competitive.
Archevol

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2009 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you should also look at the coaches you play. You've been a scalp for a strong lineup of quality players, which reflects well on you, but which has undoubtedly weighed on your CR.

You're more likely to tighten up any failing you have, tactically, when gaming against good coaches that don't let you get away with errors.

However, if you feel that you're in need of a softer game on occasion for recovery, don't be afraid to ask games that you think you have a good shot at, and where the chances of getting your players pummelled is less likely. (I'm NOT taking about trying to duff up gobbos with MB-replete dwarves). Emphasis on fair, which many coaches happily overlook.

I, amongst many others here, quite like some character in my players (niggles, -stats, etc). However, there is no getting away from the fact that it will, over time, weaken your teams. You'll need to cut with conviction when it's required. Especially when you get to higher TR, where the loss of a couple of players can be pivotal.

This same rule should probably be applied to players that don't come up with something special after three skill rolls (double or +stat). Many of the teams you'll face at higher levels are there because their players are simply better (a gutter with +MA/sprint, a +2ST wardancer or a chaos warrior with claw/rsc, for example). It can be worth choosing to keep your TR lower until you get the squad you think can perform well up higher.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2009 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok ... now I've pruned back my undead & orc teams and their TR is below 150, which is where I'm going to keep them until their FF increases and I can skill up the linos better. In fact, I think they're looking more lean and competitive already than they were before.

The lizmen and HEs are in a rather more serious condition, but I think I can recover both and I've got plans for how to do it.

So ... lets see how it goes in the next few games ... Very Happy
 Jump to: