21 coaches online • Server time: 01:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest everyone look now.

I understand that Christer and the admins will still be deciding what to do, and probably seeking more explicit clarification from GW. I appreciate the effort to keep us informed as it is.

Crap crap crap.

Oscar Wilde
Alf115

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd gladly help Christer and Fumbbl in any way I can to keep this site alive.
Tamzarian

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I would totally support paying some reasonable amount of money on a regular basis to solve legal issues, but I doubt that's the point. Or maybe it is? Would GW be willing to license fumbbl? I don't know in how far GW would thereby get the rights to decide on the site in general, e.g. concerning the appearance, the site rules etc. Maybe fumbbl would be very different then.

Alternatively, the Help could be crippled down to those points which are specific to fumbbl. Every other aspect is written down in the LRB anyway. So, conforming to GWs 1st point shouldn't be that hard. What would bother me more is the fact that the site seems to use BB-rules internally, e.g. when generating a new team or rolling for a skill. Likewise for the mechanics of the client.

Granted that every intellectual property of GW could be removed from fumbbl itself, would it be an infringement to run a site which is based on the use of software, namely the client, which cannot function without the use of BB-rules?

I don't know, but I refuse to believe that there should be no way to keep fumbbl alive.
Ancre

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd gladly help in any way possible. I don't want fumbbl to die either.
Bobs

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey make a new game where races have running speed power dexterity and toughness.
With skills like evade, bash and heavy hand. change the pitch and viola new game
Smashball is born
Very Happy
(i know i'm reaching)

Forteza

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn, GW is really nasty, they dont loose any money at all on this site!
CaptainBringdown

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

What a complete and utter load of bollocks! Death to the Games Workshop!
Aldar

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

i wish them fun with the dead corpse blood bowl will become - damn necrophiles at GW Evil or Very Mad
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly they are just doing what they are supposed to be doing and should have done long ago. Hell i love fumbbl but ultimately its been lucky not to have had this happen years ago. If your being honest with yourself you can see this and accept it for what it is. A company doing only what it has to do.

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

They should have a long think about what FUMBBL does for Blood bowl. I know that I would not have purchased the two teams, numerous star players, and two new boxed sets if it had not been for finding FUMBBL and keeping my interest in Blood bowl alive. Perhaps a limited license can be worked out, but I don't hold out much hope.

JoeKano wrote:
Honestly they are just doing what they are supposed to be doing and should have done long ago. Hell i love fumbbl but ultimately its been lucky not to have had this happen years ago. If your being honest with yourself you can see this and accept it for what it is. A company doing only what it has to do.

You're right of course, but it still leaves a bitter taste to think that something that gives so much benefit to GW could be scuppered by them.
Dimotane

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Therefore, we would be grateful if within fourteen days of the date of this letter you would procide written undertakings, in a form acceptable to us, that you:

1. have received and understood the contents of this letter:
2. will cease and desist from any activities which infringes GW's intellectual property rights;
3. remove the Java Bowl link, and any materials subject to GW's copyright, from your site; and
4. confirm by return that you will not infringe GW's intellectual property rights at any time in the future.

Bugger.

Would there possibly be a way to download the client as an .exe and just connect P2P for games?
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Licensing would be problematic, its a computer based game....cyanides game is a computer based game. THis suggests to me the applicable license has been sold already ? SO ultimately you would need probably GW and the current computer based game license holder to agree as well...

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

JoeKano wrote:

sure they are in the right to do so- but still these letters are no evidence of intelligence - a license or coop with fumbbl would be much smoother and beneficial for GW
theopacman

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps Cyanide is pushing GW due to the lack of numbers playing their game online? I'm suspicious this letter has appeared only months after cyanides launch.

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2009 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Alternativly one could also turn FUMBBL into a closed private league.
 Jump to: