41 coaches online • Server time: 10:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Thanshin

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there some kind of teaching ladder* in Fumbbl?

If there is, is it played in Academy? Or there's a League for it.

*: You get to play teaching games with stronger players and "in exchange", you play teaching games with weaker players.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

You could try my 145 Club which is mainly for newer players.

Though you may not qualify with that 100% record Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
You could try my 145 Club which is mainly for newer players.

It's not the same. I'd imagine the 145 club is to play against players of about the same skill level, both simply trying to find ways to win. (At this point I have no major problem finding that in Academy.

What I'm talking about is purely teaching games, where the stronger player literally tells the weaker player what's happening in every moment, what are his best options and why, etc.

I just wondered if the system had been implemented somewhere in fumbbl. With CR190 coaches offering teaching games to CR180s just for the sake of promoting the game and from that point down to 145 or whatever the lowest possible CR is.
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no clear measure of skill, so it would be really really hard to implement such a ladder as you would have to group coaches according to skill for it to work. Besides there are many different philosophies out there, so you would have clashes all over.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

CircularLogic wrote:
There is no clear measure of skill, so it would be really really hard to implement such a ladder as you would have to group coaches according to skill for it to work. Besides there are many different philosophies out there, so you would have clashes all over.

I vote paulhicks for teaching all the new players Smile
Nachtogen

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

There used to be a different (unofficial) academy where people teached players how the client works and where some basic tactics were explained. Me and some other coaches (like Heinz and Mithrilpoint) were always up for a game versus a newcomer to teach them the basics of the game.
It was replaced by the current (official) academy division. Well, not so much replaced, but after the introduction of this division, we kinda stopped hanging in the old academy channel. So there is no real teaching anymore.

But if you ever want some things explained to you in a game, just drop me a message and I'll do my best.
There are probably some other coaches who are willing to do this too.

Last edited by Nachtogen on Mar 12, 2010 - 16:05; edited 1 time in total
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to see a list of players who are good and active at teaching newcomers the art of Blood Bowl. Imo learning blood bowl 'the hard way' by meeting teams like Hi or getting cherry picked your first 20 games. It might be fun for some, but rather demotivating for the newcomer.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to take new coaches and teach them stuff once in a while. If you are interested in getting some solid help just write to me in IRC and lets play a traininggame if you like... (I'll not let you win tho and am not part of a ladder either)

IMHO you can just check the academy channel... all the people voiced there are most likley capable and willing to give you a helping hand...
bxnyc

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

This game has quite a bit of a learning curve in regards to implementing strategy. I had many badly lost games and great opponents help me through them... you can almost always find a troll or two to talk strategy with in the IRC Smile

The way it seems most people learn is jumping in ranked and getting whooped on.

Usually when i find new coaches I will help critique play style if asked.

i always go back and read the racial strategys every so often for a refresher

look me up when im on IRC if you want tips/game and whatnot also
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

This list is maybe a bit out of date but worth a try if you see these guys in [A]cademy

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=5413

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I am happy to chat about tactic to you through pm's. Although to be honest i am really only noticably good with necros. I don't get time to play enough games to actually play in academy too though.

BTW if you are stuck for time, and want to be sure of a game you should enter the box. It is rough in there, but probably a great way to play and learn when on a tight schedule.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I sometimes help out with teaching matches in academy. Lately I haven't had the time but feel free to query me on irc when I'm on.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2010 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I highly recommend using Ro as your educational consultant.

__Synn
spiro

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2010 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm imo this topic is senseless, i see, that only Thanshin is interested to be learnt in an Academy, and i see, that "Rookie Coach Leagues" topic is more interesting for neew coaches than this topic, however maybe i am mistaken.

Imho if somebody want learn play in bloodbowl then is more ways to doing that.
For example, watching or speccing matches, playing in rookie tournaments and leagues, Reading Living Rule Book 4, there are very good explanations about base game,
If somebody want to be led step by step, then ok heh, but i think, a few people will admiting to an unknowning.
Obviously i agree, that Academy Playbook is necessary, but only to read it.
People won't be learnt because they won't feeling like completely noobs. I think i won't be able learnt by Synn ;D or maybe he is great teacher ;D don't know.

Btw PeteW it's teacher in real live, hmmm but PiterThorpe said, that he is bad for him ;D

Jesli chcesz pokoju, szykuj sie do wojny.
 Jump to: