33 coaches online • Server time: 18:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sinner

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2011 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

truckerpunk wrote:
Hey. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04. I've always hated Pulseaudio, and have removed every trace of it, and dropped back to good old trusty ALSA. I have no problems what so ever spec'ing FFB games. I can't speak for playing, as I try to stick to LRB4 as long as possible. Another thing, I made a script that forces java applications to run through ALSA. With this setup I'm faciing no problems at all.

"How-to-make-script"-link: http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1568460

Might work with Pulse too. There's also directions for settting it up for pulse.
Hope it helps.

Amazing! It works!

I will link this to the bug report for future reference...

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2011 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool. Glad to be able to help out. Happy gaming, mates. =)
One thing though is; when java updates, the script might not work no more, as your system now uses another version of java. (As Andreas also said). No bigger problem than just making or, copying and editing, the small script for the new version. So don't panic if sound stops working, might just be a java update.

Another way to make sure it will keep working is to lock all of the sun-java6* packages at their current version in Synaptic, but I personally like to have the newest avaliable software.
Grod

Post   Posted: Jan 19, 2011 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Sinner wrote:
truckerpunk wrote:
Hey. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04. I've always hated Pulseaudio, and have removed every trace of it, and dropped back to good old trusty ALSA. I have no problems what so ever spec'ing FFB games. I can't speak for playing, as I try to stick to LRB4 as long as possible. Another thing, I made a script that forces java applications to run through ALSA. With this setup I'm faciing no problems at all.

"How-to-make-script"-link: http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1568460

Might work with Pulse too. There's also directions for settting it up for pulse.
Hope it helps.

Amazing! It works!

+1 Smile

Thanks.

Oscar Wilde
fabik

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2011 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

THANK YOU!

I had to run Win XP on virtual box for fumbbl^^

"Dho!"
Colin

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

This didn't work for me, though it's likely I didn't adjust the path correctly for OpenSuse and openjdk. How do I test what is going wrong?

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

For a start: the instructions were for sun java. I would strongly recommend you installing sun java and switching from openjdk. Then trying again.

Oscar Wilde
Colin

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
* Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support.

Ggggrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Sod that, I'll use XP in VirtualBox. I'm not going to compromise my browser to make something work worse than I already can in a VM.

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Colin wrote:
Quote:
* Please use the 32-bit version for Java applet and Java Web Start support.

Ggggrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Sod that, I'll use XP in VirtualBox. I'm not going to compromise my browser to make something work worse than I already can in a VM.

Same here.
truckerpunk

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey. If you don't use Sun (oracle) Java it is very likely that you will experience difficulties with the client. At least I know about multiple people that had issues with the apo crashing the old client.
I'm running Sun (Oracle) java + the described script, and everything works flawlessly for me. You might be able to get the "new" client running with OpenJDK/JRE, but I've had no luck with SkiJinkies, and swapped to Sun.

Good luck with it. (If you decide to stick to OpenJDK, and get it working, it would be nice if you posted you setup...)

On a side-note; How does it compromise your browser if you run Sun? (just curious)

Cheers
Colin

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2011 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have to downgrade Firefox to the 32-bit version to get Java Web Start to work. At that point, I refuse. VirtualBox + XP cover me for the odd occasion I play on FUMBBL, whereas I use Firefox all the time, so it gets priority.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2011 - 06:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe you can try, instead of letting browser launch or run internally, download (via browser or some other tool like wget), then launching from console (here I use "aoss javaws blablah.jnlp"). I have Java disabled in browser, but found out the other method works (and I need aoss wrapper anyway...). Or is the problem that installing 32 bit Java forces browser to be 32 bits too?
Colin

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2011 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

SteamBall wrote:
Or is the problem that installing 32 bit Java forces browser to be 32 bits too?

Correct. I've tried it before, and I know Firefox, for one, didn't allow two concurrent installations (32 bit and 64 bit). I want all my apps to be 64 bit where possible, as I enjoy the performance benefits of a 64 bit desktop on a quad core with 6Gb of RAM. Even XP runs faster in VirtualBox than it does natively on the same machine!

I could run another browser like Chrome as 32 bit just for FUMBBL, but it's no more bother to run a virtual machine instead.

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Besides the apps for Windows, iOS, Android, etc, users can now access to Spotify and discover all its features using Web Player. Read this for more details spotify web player. It's time to search for or add songs, albums and discover new music.
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Admins please delete this post and ban the stupid Bot

Oscar Wilde
FinnDiesel

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2018 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Buy Apple or Windows, Linux is stupid