47 coaches online • Server time: 00:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

While I'm still following the bash thread actively and with great interest, I've also went ahead and implemented a couple of changes in the Blackbox scheduler:

1. The 3% suitability penalty for mirror matches has been removed.
2. TV limit has been changed from a flat 15% limit to the same moving scale that is in place in the Gamefinder in R (10% for the first three games, 15% up to 10 games and opening up until 30 games where the limit is removed)
3. A suitability penalty has been added to games where one team has played less than 15 games and the other one has played 15 or more. This is a pretty steep sliding scale, starting at a 94% penalty if the newer team is completely fresh.

These changes should have two effects:

- New teams are somewhat protected against low-TV minmaxers
- Overall, more matches should be possible for the scheduler to consider.

Considering the (currently) 13 pages of replies on the other thread, I have a feeling you may have an opinion on these changes as well. Let me know!
bigGuy

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds great.
PainState

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

A good start Christer.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

\o/

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:09
FUMBBL Staff

Should be fun watching this change shake out. In particular, I'm pleased with item 3 since that should provide a good safe place for rookie teams to start out.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

those are really good changes, had been hoping for them for a while..
licker

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds really great!

1st complaint will probably be from teams who got smashed down now having to face those killer low tv teams, but I guess we'll have to see how that actually pans out...
anisdrin

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you add a suitability bonus so all those comb teams can play between them and be annihilated?
If they like cpomb so much they will not care playing against every match don't they?

Last edited by anisdrin on Dec 16, 2013 - 19:13; edited 1 time in total
licker

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

anisdrin wrote:
Can you add a suitability bonus so all those comb teams can play between them and be annihilated?
If they like comb so much they will not care playing against every match don't they?

Hehe...

1st pairing, match by amount of claw per team.

Sounds good Smile
happygrue

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I like #3 for sure, #1 seems a fair thing to try - I dislike mirrors but allowing the killer teams to play each other is reasonable.

About #2: Do I understand correctly that very low TV teams will now be able to play very high T teams if both have more than 30 games? That is a very big change. I am interested in it, but perhaps a notice or warning on the BB activation screen will save the admins some very surprised users in the near future.

I would suggest implementing a slider for each coach similar to the ranked slider for TV bands willing to be searched for. Minimum range could be the old band (15 or 20% on either side?) and the slider could be dragged to any percentage higher than that to allow matches above/below to be considered. This way the people who want more matches can get them, and the folks who don't want to play 1400 TV flings vs 1900 TV dwarves can avoid them.
Christer

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:22
FUMBBL Staff

happygrue,

Old teams will indeed be able to be paired against any TV opponent. Also, let me quote the team creation page for Blackbox:

"The Blackbox division is a highly competitive, cut-throat division where coaches are not able to choose who they play against. The toughest, roughest teams compete for glory in this division and there is no mercy for the weak!

Note that this division is NOT for newcomers to either Blood Bowl nor FUMBBL."

I'm certainly not going to allow individual control over the blackbox. It would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of the system.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it, a lot. I hope these changes will be given some time to settle in and see how they affect things before any rule changes are reconsidered?

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

A fair answer. As someone who just played rookie flings against 1700+ dwarves, I am not afraid of it. Very Happy

Personally, I think I will like the change, as the variety of matchups will be quite exciting and coaches will have to develop to play against ANYTHING - which is good for the box IMO. I only suggest it thinking of all the complaints that the staff are likely to get. Wink

Should be fun!
licker

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, and the staff should refrain from too much cackleing, and just link them to christers reply to grue Smile

What will be exciting is when the low tv noob bashers start getting paired against 1700tv developed kill kill teams Smile

Oh man... I'm getting excited just thinking about those matchups Smile
licker

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2013 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Though I do have one question for you Christer.

I assume that the MM will still try to match up teams close in TV first. That could leave you with more extreme matchups as the high and low sides wind up finding each other more frequently when the middles all get paired up.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm just wondering if you haven't also considered (or if I've just got it wrong to begin with) pairing starting from the bottom up?
 Jump to: