60 coaches online • Server time: 15:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
4th saurus normal
Piling On - moar cas
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Break Tackle - mobility>
36%
 36%  [ 14 ]
Tackle - God I hate elves...
34%
 34%  [ 13 ]
Stand Firm - roadblock
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Frenzy - cus surfing's fun
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Fend - PO's a killer
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Other...?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

Aflo

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2014 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright guys.

After a very nice second +ST on my lizard WoC team the Tlaxtalan Tyrants I've got a tricky choice on a 4th normal on one of his mates.

The saurus in question currently has block/MB/guard in a team with:

-5 MB
-2 guard
-2 tackle
-1 break tackle

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Last edited by Aflo on %b %20, %2014 - %23:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
fly

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2014 - 23:37 Reply with quote Back to top

increase the value of tips by linking the player, and possibly, the next opponent, too.
to know your next opponent takes time, as it should take to select the skill.
kick could be a choice, too, but i'm mighty clueless about lizardmen. so i say: break tackle for more mobility.

Aflo

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2014 - 23:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Fair, added a link to the player.

Got a good mix of potentials in my qualifier. Reasonably bash-light chaos, balanced necro and humans in the next couple of stages, probably followed by well built/coached woodies should we make it that far.

Kick actually might also be a good shout as it can win games...

BT gives a mobile guard which can be crucial and more useful if he gets tackle next, frenzy's often handy to have and I'm a fan of SF generally. Tricky.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 20, 2014 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Aflo wrote:
Fair, added a link to the player.

No you didn't. Fixed it for you:

Aflo wrote:

The saurus in question

tackle, piling on, fend or break tackle are all good,. I don't know whether you need 3 tackle at TV 1900 box, and PO on a guarder is kind of meh. I think tackle is a lot more valuable without bt than frenzy is. So if you do want a surfer, I'd give bt first, frenzy next (and ideally he'd have jugger and stand firm).

I guess getting 2 fend sauri (block guard fend) for LoS duty wouldn't be bad in that environment, though. Note that in addition to PO protection and messing with opponent position, fend will often let you get by without break tackle, as it tends to leave players unmarked.
Loew

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 00:18 Reply with quote Back to top

indeed tricky, as you have a well rounded sauri group and all the essentials covered.

As there is no skill that your team desperately needs right now, I would look at what skill has the best synergies with the skills the player already has. It is one of only two guards on the team, so I would want to have this player a) standing and b) in a controlled position, so no frenzy or PO for me.
I like kick, but I guess this player may get LOS duty sometimes, so not the best choice for a kick player.
This leaves tackle, SF and BT - all decent choices and somewhat depending on play style and opposing team...I would wait until the next opponent is decided and then choose between Tackle and BreakTackle
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I like frenzy on this dude. Like Loew said, you don't desperately need anything, so it's time to add in those supporting skills. Frenzy narrows the pitch and is a nice choice here.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 07:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Isnt break tackle the bleedingly obvious choice?

Oscar Wilde
Raughri

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:

This
notbobby125

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree. Break tackle will prevent him from being just tied up, and making him a threat anywhere within his range. Lizardmen really need to keep their formations tight, particularly with plus strength saurus, so PO isn't an ideal skill. You also have so much mighty blow, your going to be good in the smashing department.

I would Stand Firm for Super Star and Frenzy at legend. Even at five strength, you don't want to risk him being pushed into the crowd.
Hitonagashi

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:

No, I don't think it is. The team isn't built for it - and Lizardmen rarely need a mobile guard. You have a team of ST 4 block players, the odds are, you'll have at worst a 1d, which has the same odds as failing as the dodge, with added cas potential from the MB.

With Break Tackle, you usually want either Dodge, Tackle or Frenzy to make the most of it. If this was a lower TV team, with less developed Saurii, I'd say to go BT heavy..but this is a guard based saurus team. You don't really need BT.

In a Lizard build, your Guards are your pivots. They anchor your position (due to making the blocks around them easier) and the rest of the team moves around them. If you encounter situations where your pivots need to be moved, you've probably messed the game up tactically, and you'll need to move a lot more. Hence, I usually only take Break Tackle on my Guarders only if the rest of the non-pivot saurii have it too (as then you can actually move the entire formation). The 'static' logic also rules out Frenzy for me.

For me, you need a skill that's good at helping lock down the area around you for a static saurus - Tackle. Annoys elves trying to dodge away, and discourages them from standing next to him. I took Stand Firm once on a guard pivot, and didn't regret it at all either. Taking Tackle also gives you a choice once he hits 76 - you can develop another pivot to replace him and drop him into a sweeping cover with Break Tackle, or you can double up on the annoying pest with Stand Firm (or Dodge/Sidestep on a double).

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Yar I'm with hito here. Stand firm and tackle are both great choices.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I would take Tackle.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting post Hito. Fend and kick completely off the table? I like the idea of some of the options they bring up.
Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Fend no way. Kick isn't a bad choice though if you have the skinks to take advantage.

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2014 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you've enough BT on your team considering it's TV. If not this guy (Tackle the other choice), then soon.
 Jump to: