13 coaches online • Server time: 06:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

This forum thread is for anything relating to Season 56 of the SWL.

"Does the brain control you or are you controlling the brain? I don't know if I'm in charge of mine." - Karl Pilkington.

Links:

Announcements:

• Divisional Structure
    1 Premier, 2 Conferences, 1 Regional.
  • Season Commencement
    First round will be due by 25th August. Divisional draws are up now.
  • Axing
    PM to the swladmin FUMBBL account by 10pm Monday Sydney time if your game has not yet been played. Check out the Guide for more information or check with someone else in chat. Refer to post below for more details about expectations. This is also the method for advising of parking at the end of a season.
  • General
    Please be aware that we rely on individual coaches to be active in checking this forum, arranging games against opponents (especially if not on east coast of Australia) and in communicating with Admins. The responsibility is on the coach to enquire, not the Admins to inform. Please feel free to ask any questions, anytime.
  • Trial of Blood
    For Season 57 it is likely there will be changes or clarification regarding the Trial of Blood. These will be communicated before the Draft in this thread.

Rules to be brought in for Season 57:

• Admin reserve the right to change the divisional structure and drafting team's TV/TW limit whenever it is deemed to be in the best interests of the league (particularly if we change from below 32 coaches to above and vice versa).
Tomay

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay’s Season Preview LVI
Well another congratulations to the Whalekillers, now officially immortalised not only as the best Norse team in SWL’s history, but as one of the greatest ever full stop . Balle_2000 has indeed created a legend. The question everyone is asking is – will the legend continue? We had two lizardmen teams win in conferences, congratulations to both coaches. The Woodistan State Dance Squad (what a name) took out a competitive reggies, putting themselves on the radar of the established teams.

Premier
This season will come down to who can handle the lizards the best, with three lizardmen teams within the draw.

The Whalekillers roster is evidence of the effect the lack of ageing has had on the ruleset. We have 4 players approaching the 100 game mark this season. AV7? A myth I tell ya. Balle has a strong, efficient roster capable of taking on any opponent. This versatility will see him up there again.

Slumbering Skink came within a bee’s old fella of the title last season. Some would say they were unlucky to miss out, but they had their luck throughout the season and coach Faulcon made a crucial error on the 128th turn of the season which was the difference between winning prem and not. That’s what SWL is all about. They come into this season with the same absurd team bookended by 3 str5 players. Lizards don’t die these days. They’ll be among the chances.

The Horrors of Skye had the best run that any team from the Skye has had last season. They were in the title hunt all season long and looked to be favourites with about 3 rounds to go. They have a few key pieces in fine health but I worry that it will be a return to the old ways for JoeKano amongst this season’s competition.

Mexican Standoff have again been promoted, continuing the yo-yo to and from Prem. As the only elves in the mix for the season they have a chance of sneaking into the top 4, but I think that the amount of bash will leave them in a relegation position by the end of the season.

The SWL Hunting Crocs have the least fancy roster of the three lizardmen teams, but are well coached by Bobs who is returning to form. I just don’t think they’ll have enough in the mirror matchups without the stat freaks of the other lizard teams.

Sotek Sacred Spawning took out a strong conference last season. Tyra_Nid proved that he has come from being a good coach struggling with the nuances of lizards to a good coach who knows what he is doing with his team. So much depends on Axoc, if he can keep him alive then he could be a shot at the title.

Conventional wisdom would say that Malapropism Mania are too underdone for a realistic shot at Prem. However, we all know how efficient cheese dorfs are in CRP. With strong inducement options, plenty of guard, some hitting power, the speed of the bulls and the coaching of Beefy – don’t write them off.

In all honesty the Connection shouldn’t be in Prem. They snuck in on the back of 2 coaches parking unexpectedly. With the prevalence of high strength rosters and the lack of a developed troll slayer – they probably won’t make a splash this season and are heading for a wipeout.

Prediction
1st – Slumbering Skink
2nd – Whalekillers
3rd – Malapropism Mania
4th – Sotek Sacred Spawning

Froster’s Conference
The Froster’s Conference looks like the bashier of the two this season, with 2 orcs, chaos and dwarves. The wood elves and skaven will do well to keep their teams together, but should be able to edge out a few victories while being destroyed. I’m particularly pumped that its Wood Elves vs Wood Elves in round 1 – something we haven’t seen in SWL for a long while, let’s hope it’s a SPP fest 5-4 scoreline or something.

Both of the wood elf coaches are in a similar position for mine. They have both showed some promise and talent in coaching the team, but as SWL rookies, they’ll have to learn how to manage their teams in a league setting. If one can do that, I think they can make some waves in the conferences and eventually Prem.

In contrast, the two orc teams are completely different. DBG are still in establishment, but have been playing solidly. I-Mayhem have established themselves as a menace with a mammoth roster that is formidable for any team. I think they’ll be good enough to ride this to Prem next season.

The Sting are another team with a mammoth roster. I think Chavo is good enough to navigate this conference to guide them to Prem along with I-Mayhem for another shot. He needs to be wary though as his window may close quickly with the bash in the group.

Dubios Ethos and Technically Minded are both probably a season off competing for a Prem shot, but I did say the same thing about Beefy last season. Both teams are coached well enough and have a solid foundation to build on.

Finally, poor old redgum doesn’t look well positioned in this group. I think the wood elves can match him for speed, while the amount of bash could put a serious dent in the roster he has.

Prediction
1st – Blackwater Sting
2nd – Intoxicated Mayhem

Dropbear Bitter Conference
This is a slightly friendlier looking conference in terms of teams, however, when you look at the coaches you will soon realise its packed with talent.

The Black Swans always manage to overperform on the back of solid coaching from Irgy.

The Green Devils have a solid foundation and a coach with a knack of getting the best out of his team. If his CLAWPOMBer can fire, I think tribal will guide them to Prem next season.

Similarly, Crypt-O-Night should be back after a down season in LV. Rabid should appreciate the matchups in this group as there is no opposition that glaringly has it over him in terms of all out speed or bash.

I have a soft spot for the Sentinels. They’re a team that is full of character and is developing a rich history. Unfortunately for cdwat, that history is one of not being able to catch a break. He has some good pieces and perhaps a friendlier draw than last season, so let’s see.

Psych Lab will always be in the running but I think they might miss out on Prem next season after their roster has levelled out. If they can develop a few stars again then I think eganra will be well positioned next season.

Malfeasor has the opportunity to show what he can do in the much more competitive Conference division. I think though that he will find it hard to get his feet for the initial season and will finish somewhere in the middle of the table.

The Tribute can be pretty happy about this draw - they don’t face a lot of AV9 and only one super quick opponent. I reckon they’ll finish in the top half of the table.

The Wanja Warriors roster is a thing of beauty. So clean. So Guardy. They just need something special – a star amongst the mix to top it off. Next season.

Predictions
1st – Green Devils
2nd – Crypt-O-Night.

Snorri’s Regional
We have a few new players this season and a few teams all the better for their development last season. It’s time for Dr Poods to show us what he can do with his chaos. I’m expecting Karnov to take an unconventional approach toward his chaos and am excited to see how they develop. I’d like to point out to all the new coaches that RedMaul is in fact a very solid coach from the LRB 4 era, I’m similarly excited by his return as I was by PJJ’s last season.

I’d also like to welcome newcomers MrSocks and Buuface to the SWL. It’s an awesome league, take your time to settle in and create a legend.

Goodluck to everyone.

Spectator’s Games of the Season
Slumbering Skink vs Sotek’s Sacred Spawning – High strength lizard-off
Wonga Wonga vs Horrors of Skye – Two scissor teams with a fun approach. Lots of Frenzy.
Autumn’s Leaves vs Woodistan Dance Squad – Woodies vs Woodies in SWL? Been a while.
Da Blackest Guard vs Blackwater Sting – No love lost between these two amigos.
Crypt-O-Night vs Crookwell Green Devils – SLOBB heavyweights battle it out in SWL.
Tribute to Alan Parsons vs Griffon Gate Sentinels – Plenty of hitting, dodging and hopefully scoring.

Last edited by Tomay on %b %14, %2014 - %02:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Tomay

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 09:43 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL looks like it needs a filler for the upcoming season. Inquire within (PM me). Player must not be in reggies, must have a good history of getting games played and must have time to commit to organise 2 games per week.

Either that or convince your cousin to jump in like Magoo did last season.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

*unf*
polemarch

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Go Season LVI!

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 10:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Woot!

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing tyra_nid Saturday at 10:30am.

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The Sentinels (with a little help from Nuffle) beat the Tribute 2-1.
polemarch managed an amazing 1 RR 1 + 1 + 1 RR 1 from 5 rolls (and a few more failed gfi's later too)

It's the Sentinels best ever start to a season.
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 15:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Come on Tomay pick the Three Lizards one two three please please!

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I second that notion JoeKano

Post   Posted: Aug 13, 2014 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure the curse will work this season because I'm half convinced what we have here is an imposter. If you don't believe me, maybe this will convince you:

[2014-08-11 - 16:47] <@Tomay> the lizards have too much str for my dorfs
[2014-08-11 - 16:47] <@Tomay> who are terribly average at blocking
[2014-08-11 - 16:57] <Faulcon> tyra_nid or bobs you mean?
[2014-08-11 - 16:59] <@Tomay> faulcon and tyra nid
[2014-08-11 - 16:59] <@Tomay> i can maybe beat bobs

Now tell me, is that really Tomay?
Tomay

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2014 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Preview added. Still after a filler.

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2014 - 05:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that is a 180 from last seasons "the sham of faulcon" haha!

My pick is the whalekillers...

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Tomay

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2014 - 05:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Surely no one can 4-peat.

Post   Posted: Aug 14, 2014 - 06:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hoe exactly will reggies work this season?

Play rnds 1-7? Starting at a later round? Play through? Just seeking clarification

Jump to: