39 coaches online • Server time: 11:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How should I skill this side?
Heavy Stand Firm, you've got a vision, stick it out!
51%
 51%  [ 17 ]
Mighty blow of course, it is optimal
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Lots of grab will get more players off the pitch
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Why take lots of a certain skill? Mix it up!
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 33

DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 05:28 Reply with quote Back to top

(I use the term "unique" loosely as I am sure everything that can be done has been done before)

I am currently building up a side that can be viewed here https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=766950 though it is in its early stages

I decided to create a side that would outblock the opponents. I would focus on the amount of blocks rather than the quality of blocks. This meant ignoring mighty blow and to a lesser extent tackle. The first thing I did was take block, then go for guard-spam. After that my theory was to take Stand Firm. From there I would look to Frenzy and Grab. I wanted to win the positional game. Force people to forget about blocking me back, or make blocks they don't want to. Slowly drive forward.

(Doubles was to be some diving tackle but I haven't rolled any yet)

However it isn't taking long for me to realise that a "positional game" is easier when you have more players on the pitch aka. mighty blow is BETTER, so I am having a crisis of confidence in my initial plan.

Finally the third theory I thought might work was if I went "grab heavy" after block and guard. Plus one or two frenzy blitzers, try to fight amongst the sidelines, chain push to my heart's content.

PS. This is a league side, no need to worry about match ups.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=icons

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Nightbird wrote:
https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=icons

I think you were responding to the Old Mummy Icons thread???
Stonetroll

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=723516
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah interesting list but BO's with no block & 2 team RR's? Can't imagine that works too well...

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Malmir

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard is the way to go if you want control, but as you have realised, you need some mb to help remove players in order to drive that advantage home. You'll need some tackle, otherwise you'll struggle to get the ball against most teams. The rest sounds quite interesting - good luck with it.
Roland

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

well, at least ONE blitzer with MB. Perhaps on the frenzy guy?
then go G/SF on the rest? would be a pain in the a** to meet that team.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

You can always go completely without MB, but it indeed needs some confidence. Still, stick with you plan (which luckily doesn't include forgoing MB completely). If it's the kind of challenge you like, it will be very rewarding (as long as you accept that your win-loss ratio will be a little lower than possible).

Good luck with it and enjoy!

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 08:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
You can always go completely without MB, but it indeed needs some confidence.

You better fire that death roller! Smile
Rabe

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, well... "without players taking MB" would have been the better expression. The Monters fans get along with Groin - he gets his own cheers now and then, too. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 09:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd make the frenzy a killer (mb+po) and for BOBs, I'd take mb before stand firm. It's still positional play, you're just making your blocking threat more dangerous to force the opponent to some risky roll (dodging, 1d, etc.), so it's not completely out of your philosophy, otherwise av9 teams may just stick a lineman next to them and hope the stun doesn't come in the first turns.

I had a great time playing a Guard-based team, but one hitter is necessary to avoid outnumbering: your ideal situation is to deny any 2d block, but you know this is not reality, and you need to recover from occasional damage Wink [/url]
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, having 1 killer for your blitz action makes a pretty huge difference to your total cas count. But it would also make the team a lot less special and fun.

Having 9 guard on an orc team isn't too unusual, I think, though having little mighty blow is. Just because bash-free orcs are not optimal, doesn't mean they're not fun. Quite the contrary! So my advice would be to stick with your concept and not take any mb. If you want competitive bashy orcs, just make a new team.

If you're worried about being competitive with this team, you can also consider losing the Troll and goblin now that your BoBs are mostly guarded up. I would also drop at least one reroll. The TV difference will make you a lot more effective, because your opponents will have much less guard and damage skills themselves. Cross your fingers for a few guard lineorcs, and you're set. =)

I prefer grab and frenzy as utility options, rather than spammed. Guardspam is great, but you already have it. Dodgespam is good too but you need your doubles for diving tackle, because you can't kill elves. So, if you have to pick 1 skill to spam, I think I would make it fend on this team. It greatly helps a blocking game win the positioning war, often leaving your guards free to maneuver without making any dodges (thus without needing break tackle, also), and it saves you from piling on as a bonus (though I would give stand firm and tackle, rather than fend, to a diving tackle BoB).

I have a non-damage concept team as well; mine are a chaos team that will never take a single mb, po, claw or dp (this is not out of any delusion that such a team would be better at the game).

However, chaos get GSM access, rather than just GS access. Additionally, they don't get players who start with block. The first allows the building of much more versatile players in the long run, and both the first and the second make it a lot easier to find up to 6 good skill choices per player without resorting to bash. In my case, the 3 CWs with diving tackle also help a lot against agility teams. =)
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

You got the basis now just stand firm on EVERYONE!!!

(and some frenzy)

Since folks are spamming teams here is mine: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=711405 , 3 frenzy players in the dead section too Razz

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 11:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Some great feedback, thanks everyone.

Yes I am tempted to take one or maybe two MB, but who? The frenzy blitzer has the best build for it, but I also think perhaps the blitzer who is lowest in development, as it will speed them along.

Assuming I havent lost any black orcs by the time my new one gets to 16, I will consider taking MB on him to try to speed him along.

My Black Orcs seem to be immune from MVP's so a little while yet before I have to decide, just one blitzer with a skill to pick.

Fendspam is an interesting idea, for some reason I was thinking it was an agility skill so I never really considered it. I think I would prefer SF as its great synergy with frenzy/grab and divingtackle/tackle, plus of course guard. A shame that a combo of Fend & SF doesnt result in you pushing them back!

The TV dropping, I was *this* close to dropping a reroll, until I lost a BoB (t16 foul of course) I thought I would hang onto it so I can block with him a lot, get him to at least 2SPP and an MVP within block before I drop it. The goblin was supposed to be my fouling experiment, but it hasn't really worked, fouling is just too nerfed. I am sure his time is limited and I don't think I will replace him. The troll will likely stay... 110k makes them pretty cheap, it is an extra guard, and nuffle has got to owe me some doubles... seriously...

PS. Sage I think that Foul Appearance is a drastically underrated skill, if I was making a Chaos side without clawpomb I would load up on it.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2014 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling is pretty good but you need a line orc with dirty player.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
 Jump to: