62 coaches online • Server time: 19:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sir_Marcus

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello fellow fumbblers,

In a recent game playing my Ogre team I was accused of not using fair play a couple of times. What do you think, have I broken any unwritten rules here?

1. In his turn 2 he used a lot of time. With 40 secs left I said that I will use that timeout button. I also did. He though I should have told him beforehand that I was planning to use the button. At least one turn before using it.

2. In the second half, he had very few players left on the pitch. I however kept fouling him. He did not think that was very sporty.

Do I need to learn how to behave? =)
Sutherlands

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

You will likely get a lot more contentious answers on the timeout button than you will on the fouling. KILL ALL MENZ and all that. As far as the timeout goes, he has 4 minutes for a turn. He used it all up. You told him in advance that you would use the button and you used it. He needs to learn to play quicker. Be careful, though, that you don't use it to time someone out if they have something to do real quick IRL. People frown on that sort of thing.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

What you did was perfectly well within the rules but, as you seem to be well aware, not considered terribly sporting by a lot of people. So it basically comes down to a question of your own moral code and how you want to be perceived by others - are you bothered or not?
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:23 Reply with quote Back to top

1. A lot of people rarely if ever time anyone out. But if you warned him with 40 seconds left then he doesn't have any grounds for complaint.

2. Ha ha. It's hard to say. You are not allowed to 'name and shame' so we cannot watch the replay to judge for ourselves. Wink
Generally, in the [R]anked division you need to be a little careful or you will get a bad rep and people won't play you.
In the [B ]ox you should 'kill all menz'. Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I would say give him a warning first time he goes over 4 minutes. I can see a lot of people being annoyed if you timeout first time over, even second. Don't use it if he says something like he has to go answer a call.

As you are using Ogres you are kind of being sporting by just using a poor team. Foul away! Also fouling has a lot of risk in your players being sent off so isn't that scary unless you are lucky.
Azure

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Sutherlands wrote:
You will likely get a lot more contentious answers on the timeout button than you will on the fouling. KILL ALL MENZ and all that. As far as the timeout goes, he has 4 minutes for a turn. He used it all up. You told him in advance that you would use the button and you used it. He needs to learn to play quicker. Be careful, though, that you don't use it to time someone out if they have something to do real quick IRL. People frown on that sort of thing.

More than frown on. Timeout someone who takes 4+ minutes is fine. Timeout if someone is disconnected or afk is not just frowned upon - it is illegal.
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a lot of unwritten rules to this game. They all involve how coaches "think" the game should be played in a "sporting" type of way. It is just a game and the coaches involved should both have a fun time.

YET

We are playing this fantasy game called BLOOD BOWL were all unwritten rules are supposed to be broken and you should strive at all times to break all the written ones also!!!!!

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

/mod !banuser "PainState" /perm /renameteams FROM list[ponies]

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind fouling into the last few turns of a game if there is evidence they are roleplaying a nasty team, or even out of frustration, revenge, whatever. But if it feels like they're just doing it to be a prick, I get agitated.

As for timing out, 40s isn't enough warning. Tell them at the beginning of the game, or after the first 4+ whistle. And if they are relatively new to the site (<20 games or so) consider giving them more slack.
Sir_Marcus

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
What you did was perfectly well within the rules but, as you seem to be well aware, not considered terribly sporting by a lot of people. So it basically comes down to a question of your own moral code and how you want to be perceived by others - are you bothered or not?

I do care on how I am perceived. And the question is sincere.

1. On the timeout, as I see it, I was sporty to tell him beforehand at all. Now, I often do as suggested here. Tell them the first time the four minute rule is broken and press the button if it happen again. This time I did not, and someone did mind.

2. On the fouls. I can understand that he did not see the point. I however, playing Ogres against an agility team... There is always a point, because they can always get the ball and score. I chose to score in turn seven (in fear of bonehead) giving him a two turner. And, he did indeed scored for the draw in spite of my fouling.
PainState

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 19:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Sir Marcus you have made the most critical error playing Ogres. By your own self admission you gave up the tie because you were playing in mortal fear of Bone Head.

NEVER EVER PLAY IN FEAR of bonehead!!!!! Relish it, embrace it and rub it into your foes face when on Turn 16 you do not bone head once, your foe is coming unglued at your luck and you stride in for the game winner!!!!!!!

IF you fear Bonehead then I suggest you should coach a different team.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Badoek wrote:
/mod !banuser "PainState" /perm /renameteams FROM list[ponies]

NOW THATS THE SPIRIT!!!!!!

Perma Ban ME!!! ME?

Trying to go underhanded and rewrite the FUMBBL code to eliminate the opposition is a perfectly valid underhanded and ruthless tactic...I support this.

PainState wrote:
Sir Marcus you have made the most critical error playing Ogres. By your own self admission you gave up the tie because you were playing in mortal fear of Bone Head.

NEVER EVER PLAY IN FEAR of bonehead!!!!! Relish it, embrace it and rub it into your foes face when on Turn 16 you do not bone head once, your foe is coming unglued at your luck and you stride in for the game winner!!!!!!!

IF you fear Bonehead then I suggest you should coach a different team.

Well, thanks! I guess it is from a recent snake when waiting. You are clearly right though. =)
The_Great_Gobbo

Meh, dere is too muny babies on diz forum cryin an grassin yewz up ter teecher. Suk it up an if yew don't like yer oppo dunt play im agun. Simplez.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2014 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

To be nice then don't time out on the turn that you give the warning.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
 Jump to: