18 coaches online • Server time: 01:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi!

With the dirty tricks cards implementation just around the corner I would like to have a feature request.

I think it would be a good idea to only allow cards (of all kinds, not just dirty tricks) when both players agree(could be a popup in the client). In my opinion most of us play this game mostly for it's tactical value. Cards interfere with this hugely.
One other idea about cards is that they should be banned in official tournaments (although I would love to see a team lose a major to a well timed trampoline trap).

Burn

Last edited by Burnalot on %b %29, %2014 - %12:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 12:17
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Wouldn't this result in every underdog voting yes, while every team going in with over 50TV more voting no?

I'm for All Tricks All The Time!

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Roland

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I'm for All Tricks All The Time!

DT ftw!

EDIT: perhaps it's better to have a choice in tournament options.
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Edited for clarity. I meant all kind of cards, not just dirty tricks.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Although the theory is nice kinda gotta agree with Joshua there.. Why would the stronger team agree to an additional disadvantage? It makes no sense.

A pre- game agreement can't be the solution. Maybe if you have a better idea Wink
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 12:34
FUMBBL Staff

Burnalot wrote:
Edited for clarity. I meant all kind of cards, not just dirty tricks.

Nobody cared about it with the Magic Items though, cos they're weaker. So while it would be all kinds of cards, really it's just cos of the Tricks
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 12:35
FUMBBL Staff

Roland wrote:
perhaps it's better to have a choice in tournament options.

There's already this option in League. There's a Max Card Number that can be set to 0 if desired (though I've never tested if it works. I assume it does)
Rabe

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 13:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure it does work.

On the topic: IF such an agreement was the way to go, then I'd say both opponents had to agree that the cards will NOT be used - otherwise they would be available. Doesn't even need technical implementation. The only question would be if it's legal, since FUMBBL rules forbid any kind of agreements between coaches on how a particular game is being played.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

If it's in the game, then it's in the game ...
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Joshua has a good point.

However, to side with the OP a bit here: the use of cards are an optional house rule in the rules, just like choosing your MVP, excluding RIPs and induced players from MVP, not counting fan factor's TV, different spiralling expenses brackets, etc. (page 32). Since we're so stringently of the 'no house rules' policy, it's odd to me that the cards are 'default: on' in R and B.

Personally, I wouldn't mind 'no MVP to dead or induced' and 'no TV for FF' to be 'default:on' as well. But if we stick with our strict decision not to use house rules, then shouldn't the cards be off too?
Grod

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

My two cents worth:

Use of cards is optional: Each league can decide if they are to be used or not. In FUMBBL ranked we have decided to use them. Leagues in league division might be able to choose otherwise. Page 32 of the rulebook makes it quite clear the league commisioner decides if and how special play cards are used.

"There are three methods recommended for a commissioner to choose from for using special play cards in his league"...

In the case of Ranked I believe Christer is League Commisioner?

Next: Kalimar has gone to a hell of a lot of trouble to implement them. I think it would be rather ungrateful if we didn't use them.

Oscar Wilde
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, if Christer as R and B league commissioner wishes to opt for the use of house rules, then by all means. However, discussion of the use of the other house rules always ended with a 'not gonna happen- no house rules', usually by an admin. If Christer is open to using (LRB suggested) house rules, then have the others also been considered?

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 15:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
I'm pretty sure it does work.

On the topic: IF such an agreement was the way to go, then I'd say both opponents had to agree that the cards will NOT be used - otherwise they would be available. Doesn't even need technical implementation. The only question would be if it's legal, since FUMBBL rules forbid any kind of agreements between coaches on how a particular game is being played.

I believe it would indeed be illegal to make such an arrangement.

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I will card you to death and there is nothing you can do about it. Mwahahaha!

Post   Posted: Sep 29, 2014 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I know, Inducements are generally considered to be worth less than well placed TV. General guideline would be that if you feel some TV is not worth the inducements, you should consider if you want to invest that way. (Clawpomb is still the thing to beat...)

Cards make Inducements a bit better than just having the Bloodweiser Babe option and provide some random variation. As far as people previously have looked into data, there seems to not to be much evidence that most any inducements would cause reversal of overdog and underdog positions.

Fumbbl strives for equal matches, and cards are a tool in that purpose, as far as I see. Also in general, they keep Blood Bowl having those wacky random things that are the heritage of the game.

Most tabletop leagues I have participated have had cards as Inducements in the way suggested from LRB 5 onward. Of course, YMMV.
 Jump to: