11 coaches online • Server time: 06:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Which Legend skill to give the General Secretary?
Tackle
33%
 33%  [ 20 ]
Juggernaut
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Pro
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
Mighty Blow
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
Other (Describe why below)
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Retire. I am a hipster who always says this.
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
Cheesy Pie
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 59

DrPoods

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 04:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all. The General Secretary of the Lammer Cheese Workers' Party reached legendary status in a massive bloodfest against some Nurgz today.

He rolled a normal... again. Anyhoo, I am looking for some thoughts on what skill to give him. If it helps, he is generally a sweeper on defence until I see an opening and then he attacks the ball carrier. In attack he is the only ball carrier. However, I think he is pretty set for ball handling and he has proved to be pretty reliable so far.

This means I am thinking of the defensive side of the ball. The skill that stands out to me is Tackle. As most ball handlers have sure hands, strip ball loses effectiveness and I want a nice utility skill. Tackle also helps with any dodge players he may blitz or block.

Anyway, please give me your thoughts here. And feel free to vote on the poll!

Cheers,

DrPoods

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 04:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Tackle or frenzy.

Oscar Wilde
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Technically you should be asking for a parody of thoughts on the skill pick.

Join the Human League Premiership!
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Case for frenzy: fast, st 4 and already has standfirm so excellent surfer. Ability to throw second block just as good as tackle in terms of getting a pow against dodgers, and better against everyone else.

Oscar Wilde
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard is also very reasonable- excellent synergy there too.

Oscar Wilde
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Case for frenzy: fast, st 4 and already has standfirm so excellent surfer. Ability to throw second block just as good as tackle in terms of getting a pow against dodgers, and better against everyone else.

True. But I just cannot stand Frenzy. Gets me in to bad situations. I guess I just like having more control over where he goes.

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:11 Reply with quote Back to top

2DB with tackle is 56% to knock down.

2DB x 2 with frenzy is 57%.

Difference is that the use of a reroll means the tackle guy (80%) blows the frenzy guy (70%) out of the water.
Grod

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes but ONLY if the defender has dodge.

Oscar Wilde
Luohghcra

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

+1 for Frenzy. You say you don't like it and it gets you into bad situations. I feel this team is your best scenario for learning how to frenzy without getting you into too much trouble.

Also, if you improve frenzy skills, imagine how much more fun Khemri could be! Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 05:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow they are indeed very lame. I'm disappointed in you Dr Poods. I hope you at least are having fun with them.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 06:05 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Wow they are indeed very lame. I'm disappointed in you Dr Poods. I hope you at least are having fun with them.

I was. But now it is Fling time! Just wanted to get a legend.

So trying to fill the grid continues apace. Also HM, I am thinking to go back to these guys later and go for glory. Buy the 2nd Bull, get a Mino and see what happens.

EDIT: No Mino. Useless.

Last edited by DrPoods on Oct 24, 2014 - 19:28; edited 1 time in total
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 07:53 Reply with quote Back to top

To be fair, I think your overall win/loss ratio supports the use of this sort of easy mode build. It helps you win more games but keep in mind it doesn't necessary improve your game play unless you apply some critical thinking. For example piling on and losing field position (and therefore the game) is a common error that some coaches make with the build. Have you noticed yourself doing that yet?

Taking full opportunity to improve your positioning play is important, so I'm sold on Luohghcra's argument in favour of frenzy.

Join the Human League Premiership!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
To be fair, I think your overall win/loss ratio supports the use of this sort of easy mode build.

I totally disagree. This is what has killed off Black Box as a healthy environment. Especially when you are mindful of your TV.
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
To be fair, I think your overall win/loss ratio supports the use of this sort of easy mode build. It helps you win more games but keep in mind it doesn't necessary improve your game play unless you apply some critical thinking. For example piling on and losing field position (and therefore the game) is a common error that some coaches make with the build. Have you noticed yourself doing that yet?

Taking full opportunity to improve your positioning play is important, so I'm sold on Luohghcra's argument in favour of frenzy.

Interesting point. I do find that I occasionally PO when I don't need to. But I don't think that has cost me any games. But I think my positioning has improved a lot. And I generally think that if a PO will leave me wide open I try not to use it. Unless it is a player that can(has) tear(torn) my team apart.

@HM This is JUST for the skill choice and why for my Bull Centaur. Can we please not turn it in to one of "those" threads. Please? Very Happy

Post   Posted: Oct 24, 2014 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Frenzy.