44 coaches online • Server time: 15:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v stunty (...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Brainsaw

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2014 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Am i the only one, who isnt content with the current situation on fumbbl?
Finding a game in R is almost impossible. I start the gamefinder regularly in the evening times and the picture of available teams is always pretty much the same:
Almost exclusively Bash teams. Almost no elf Teams. Sad times.
Is this the way blood bowl should be?

Playing B is a pain the ar.., if you think clawpomb is broken, as i do.
Call me a whimp, but yes: i love my occasional Elfbowl full of tactics, time and space considerations. Awesome.

In this current situation my solution is to join low TW tourneys which fulfills my needs. But still no elfbowling or playing the whole range of races.

I do wonder if i am the only who thinks this place might be better?

There are obviously some issues on fumbbl who people are concerned about.
R being a picker Place
R lacking the race diversity
almost no chance to find games as a Legend in R
B being a basher place packed with minmaxed clawpombers.
B and R being different divisions.
ClawPOMB being imba.
Just to mention the most discussed points.

We see christer being very reluctant to changes, which is quite understandable.
A change on fumbbl has to be thought very carefully about.

My primary goal is to give options and encourage discussion.
I therefore point out some ideas.

Merging divisions:
I dont really care if R and B are getting merged, as both divisions are far from being perfect atm.
As the auto matchmaking mechanism obviously is existent in (B), the next step would just be to put this option to the Gamefinder in R division.
And if you did, you would thereby in fact combine them.
What i dont understand is: Where is the problem?
As ranked division did undergo the natural development after implementing CRP ruleset it is now swarmed with bash teams.
These teams do enter tourneys as well. Why maintain two different divisions with different tournaments, if the teams are quite the same nowadays?
The only difference is the way of finding a game! But as christer stated himself in his blog. The user base isnt big enough in B division, that it would survive a change.
Then why not merge the user base and let the coach decide in which way he finds game (like now). Just in one big division?

Implementing Houserules for a ranked division:
Why not create a 2nd R houseruled division including the automatchmaking option like the other Straight Ruleset Division? Yes you would have to solve the problem, who and how it is decided, which rules should be modified.
But: What would be the problem just trying it out? Where would be the harm? In opposite, what if most of the users would be quite happy and played this division?
I am a big fan of letting the user decide and give him a variety of options to do.

So in short my idea is:
Have two ranked Divisions with the OPTION to use auto matchmaking. One with houserules the other Straight current Ruleset.

Every coach could then choose, which Ruleset he wants to play and how he wants to find a game. Lovely!

And: IMHO you would solve almost ALL the discussed issues! Even more lovely!

The user base would be split in 2 divisions like they are now! But i am convinced, the houseruled R division will be played alot more than the straight ruleset division.
And you could create Tourneys in the 2 divisions like they exist now.

This would be my ideal fumbbl.
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2014 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally would love a house ruled division. Not sure it is the best step forward for the site, as I see the arguments for not wanting to alienate newcomers. They are the lifeblood of the site, without them we'll just wither and die. Tough call.

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2014 - 23:46 Reply with quote Back to top

and what about the old horses leaving fumbbl because of the lack of racial variety or flawed ruleset? how will that development affect fumbbl?

maybe this it what its all about?
Monitor development, find the right time and decide the right change.
huff

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2014 - 23:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Who says newcombers wont be alienated anyways? The game we play is hardly what it is at tourneys (where some newcombers come from), its bound to be different than any TT league they come from (due to house rules) or maybe they are coming from another internet version in hopes that the industry leader (Fumbbl) has seen the errors in the ruleset, only to realize that the things effecting perpetual play cant be escaped at any givin time (resorting to house ruled leagues, whether via TT or here).

indeed we are in a tight spot. Dont know if we have the player base to keep 2 divisions alive (CRP and FLRB), not to mentiom the ramifications it would have on the tourny scene... consider a lot there is.

wheres jj? and how does he not still love this game?

Ps- good point on retaining existing coaches... and I have to say, that although I agree with the premise of your sentiment, I find the title kinda demeaning.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2014 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Brainsaw wrote:

So in short my idea is:
Have two ranked Divisions with the OPTION to use auto matchmaking. One with houserules the other Straight current Ruleset.

What's the point of having an option to use auto matchmaking?
If there is one competitive division automatch must be used to arrange ALL matches, imagine this:
I pick my matches and I build a good team, then I use the automatch and I play vs a team that ever used the automatch and never picked a game.
It would be unfair.
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2014 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

People have been foretelling doom for ages. I remember people saying box was dead last year. Looks alright to me. I remember people saying fumbbl numbers would only decline. It's exactly the same level of popularity as it was last year.

Nerfing the rule set might sound like a great idea, but agility teams already win more often than not against bash so it would just unbalance the game even more in that regard.

I think if you want more agility teams then you need to do stuff like awards. Badges on a coach page for e.g. 100 games with race X. Give people something to strive for that encourages playing all races.

I do think the gamefinder needs improving but we can't keep laying that at Christer's door. He needs valid, thought out and prototyped (or very clearly designed) suggestions. Not brainfarts in a forum.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

the best way to improve FUMBBL is for everyone to play more League, and especially OBBA.

You know it makes sense.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
the best way to improve FUMBBL is for everyone to play more League, and especially OBBA.

You know it makes sense.

But if you want house rules go O[L]C! Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
the best way to improve FUMBBL is for everyone to play more League

+1

When I can't spare the time for either of the main divisions, I still make sure I play my league matches.

People might whine about the 'slow' schedule of 1 match per week, and there are times when I want to play more and just really pimp that team (or see them die...), but you at least get a decent mix of races to play against, and hey guess what? You're actually play FOR something, not just pixel-hugging or CR-buffing.

When all is said and done though, this is a tired old subject, and it deserves the same tired old responses:
Play league
Be the change you want to see on FUMBBL - play more elf yourself!

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I am sure the Irc could be used more again for game finding
from 21:09 to 23:14 today not a single comment was made there.
Shamefully that included me. Embarassed
This was a really good way of communicating for getting a match and you could see all the teams / coaches who were looking for matches and sit talking utter rubbish for ages.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure, let's fracture the playerbase even more, why not?
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Luohghcra wrote:
...People might whine about the 'slow' schedule of 1 match per week...

In Open Leagues you can play 3-4 times in a day. though probably not every day.

lemf wrote:
I am sure the Irc could be used more again for game finding
from 21:09 to 23:14 today not a single comment was made there.
Shamefully that included me. Embarassed
This was a really good way of communicating for getting a match and you could see all the teams / coaches who were looking for matches and sit talking utter rubbish for ages.

Are we certain that the knobheads are not coming back?

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

How to improve FUMBBL:

1. Play more. More games, more races, more divisions, more different builds. Just more.
2. Complain less.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
pythrr wrote:

You know it makes sense.

eh, we got house rules too!

and cookies. and apes.

Post   Posted: Oct 31, 2014 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
koadah wrote:
pythrr wrote:

You know it makes sense.

eh, we got house rules too!

and cookies. and apes.

We've got apes and beer!

Jump to: