60 coaches online • Server time: 18:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
finster5

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I've been playing alot of TT lately (and some FUMBBL) and have some familiarity with a few teams (DW, CD, UN). At least as far as the play style goes (have a long way to go to be a good coach though).

I wanted to get familiar with a couple other teams (Wood Elves and Dark Elves).

It might not even matter, but is it easier to first get familiar with one of them and then later with the other? Due to time I need to go sequentially. Or is this a silly/inane question (and I need to slap myself and throw a dice and pick one)?

-=-=-=-

Is it easier getting familiar with DE after playing WE for awhile, or visa versa? Or it doesn't matter?

And I'm wondering if it can be confusing playing a bashy team and the opposite type (WE) in parallel? And DE seem to be very different from either in some ways.
C3I2

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I still play woodies wrong, from being a DE guy. So the simple answer is do both, its very different playing style. Av8 means you go sidestep and maintain contact, and that extra MV on the woodies mean you can outmanouver anyone but skaven.
Endzone

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Elves have 6348 profile for their lineman compared to 7347 for the Wood Elves. DE lineman AV8 means they are less likely to be injured so you are more likely to have more payers on the field. By comparison WE lineman have MA7, which means they are better at joining a break or racing around to fill a gap for example.

Dark Elves have access to 4 Blizters and 2 Witch Elves, that is 6 players who could have ST3, AG4 and blodge at 6SPP! This further strengthens their holding defence and survivability. By comparison Wood elves are allowed 4 Catchers who are only ST 2 but are quick with MA8 and Sprint. More importantly Wood Elves are allowed 2 Wardancers who are real match winners, starting with 8347, blodge and leap. They are great cage breaker and ball carriers.

If you want to be able to hold you own whilst dodging around Dark Elves are a good choice - a bit like super amazon once you give them dodge. Dark Elves can be the masters of 'passive defence' e.g. dodging away 1 square and holding the line.

If you have thick enough skin (as a coach)to take more injuries in return for enjoying more tactical options including cage breaking Wood Elves are a good choice. Wood Elves can be the masters of 'active defence' attacking the ball each turn.

Of course the two team's rosters and skills access are sufficiently similar that can be played and built very similarly, but I am guessing the top coaches tailor their build and play at least a bit according to their relative natural strengths.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Delf, blodge up, win games

Blitzers and witches get MB&PO doubles, some blitzers after first pomber get guard, all linemen get guard, don't get runners or assassins. 1 kicker pls

/

Welf, blodge up, win games

Everybody gets guard on doubles unless already guarded then get MB&PO. Wardancers get whatever skill and win you the game. 1 kickers pls

// nobody asked this but posted it still #yolo
finster5

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, will take note of those skill choices
finster5

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone, I will want to use both WE and DE eventually. Sounds like they can be quite different though. Maybe DE would be a good transition to go to first (from bashy). And then WE later. Also, I tend to be more conservative so far and try not to take too many chances, and WE might require more of the opposite...
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodies are easier to play and to win games, but they also implode easier. For beginners they are the better choice imho. You can play them with a rather simple game plan and a good success rate. Darkies are a bit more sophisticated, especially on offence.
finster5

Post   Posted: Nov 01, 2014 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

V, thanks - I was wondering about that.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

finster5 wrote:
Sounds like they can be quite different though. Maybe DE would be a good transition to go to first (from bashy). And then WE later. Also, I tend to be more conservative so far and try not to take too many chances, and WE might require more of the opposite...

I think you have the core of it.

DE's are a running team, but with the fallback option of natural Ag 4 passing ~IF~ they have to.

WE's are, at heart, a passing team, and that changes everything.

Go DE, Blodge then Sidestep, win.

(Note - I've been playing with only 1 WE lately, and zero Runners/Assassins. Only 1 AV 7 to protect on the field makes everyone last a lot longer. ymmv.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Nov 04, 2014 - 10:00 Reply with quote Back to top

C3I2 wrote:
I still play woodies wrong, from being a DE guy. So the simple answer is do both, its very different playing style. Av8 means you go sidestep and maintain contact, and that extra MV on the woodies mean you can outmanouver anyone but skaven.

Both are great teams, and different enough to be worth trying. I'm more of a dark elf coach, but my only major success was with woodies played 'wrong' (bashy and connected, like dark elves). =D

tmoila wrote:

delf
Blitzers and witches get MB&PO doubles, some blitzers after first pomber get guard, all linemen get guard, don't get runners or assassins. 1 kicker pls

welf
Everybody gets guard on doubles unless already guarded then get MB&PO.

The blodge up; win stuff part is very true. Starting with dodge vs block is a matter of preference and playstyle; either works well. The advantage of starting with dodge is that you can let your pick of wrestle vs block depend on a later +ST or +AG (as you'll want 11-14 x dodge on your team anyway).
I think having 4 blockers on your team is important (darkies start with this). This lets you make 3 LoS blocks and blitz someone. After that (TV 1050-1400 or so), having a lot of dodge is best early on (because opponents will have little tackle yet). Later (1400-2000 or so), you will run into more and more block on opposing teams, so wrestle has better value. I like having 3 wrestlers on the LoS, + 1 or 2 to hit the ball carrier with. At really high TVs, you will face 3+ tacklers so often, that it's worth skipping dodge altogether on LoS players. Because piling on also becomes more common at high TVs, having 3 guys with wrestle + fend is probably the ideal LoS setup for a team in the 2000+ range (though having 3 rookies is a more lean way of having expendables).

As for the doubles picks: I prefer to give guard to guys who already have blodge (except wardancers), and mighty blow to those who don't (both on delves and welves). Guard has better synergy with dodge, and choosing mb early gives you more chances of rolling that juicy second doubles for po.
Assuming I have at least one other mighty blow, witch elf doubles are juggernaut for me these days. Having a push on 3/6 instead of 2/6 on that first push, and 5/6 instead of 4/6 on the second is HUGE for crowdpushing purposes.

For darkies, I think having 4 blitzers, 2 witches and 6-7 linos is ideal. Personally, I'm a sucker for passing plays, and I enjoy my AG6 assasssin, but I won't pretend it's remotely sensible.
 Jump to: