45 coaches online • Server time: 15:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you want to have the choice to always pick one of the Hive Mind's two most commen skills?
Yes, it makes team building way more interesting.
16%
 16%  [ 37 ]
No, let's keep it straight and always take the most common skill.
9%
 9%  [ 20 ]
I'm totally fine with either.
5%
 5%  [ 12 ]
I don't like either option.
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
Resistance is futile.
34%
 34%  [ 76 ]
Can we assimilate pie? It would make being a drone so much more comfortable...
31%
 31%  [ 69 ]
Total Votes : 220

Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the appreciation. Smile

Just realized I of course meant "match report URL", not "match report" above, when it comes to reporting. There's really no need to write match reports for this thing (though it doesn't hurt, of course!).

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I love this idea... though I think I don't play enough (or I do, just not enough with 1 single team) to be of much use... that and the fact I think I've hit my 100-team limit Embarassed

Good luck with the group, I'll see if I can find time to start a team next year!

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The naming policy is a little bit grey, the problem with it, is numbering. For example if it was Dave of Westerfield, Simon of Westerfield etc then there wouldn't be a problem. as it's numerical, it possibly is. You may fall foul if reported, so how about a suffix or some such. Seven of Nine Alpha (meaning the first seven of nine, the second could be Beta). Hopefully this little edition, will help with fluff over a period and keep you on the right side of the site rules.

Coincidentally I am running 2 assimilating Marauder teams. Using Malal fluff. One on FUMBBL and one privately. Unfortunately I am not having much luck with assimilating. My private one hasn't assimilated anything and the FUMBBL one (as I am no longer a member of staff I can't really use it anymore) only ever assimilated a lowly rotter!

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=746583

So with that in mind, I think a lot of coaches may find it hard going and lose interest.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
So with that in mind, I think a lot of coaches may find it hard going and lose interest.

I think with a larger number of teams assimilating skills, more skills will be available earlier, keeping people interested and the project a bit easier.

Having said that, I'm sure interest will naturally wane as an all-rookie marauder team is hard to manage, but hopefully as long as a core sticks with it the project will survive.

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 12:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I think this assimilation is a bit different. Essentially if one of the competing teams kills 1 skilled player, then all teams will have that skill on every player until something replaces it at the top of the list. In this way it isn't relying on the killing of players to develop itself.

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

jamesfarrell129 wrote:
I love this idea... though I think I don't play enough (or I do, just not enough with 1 single team) to be of much use... that and the fact I think I've hit my 100-team limit Embarassed

Good luck with the group, I'll see if I can find time to start a team next year!

Thanks! I don't plan on play my teams often either. I don't think it matters much in this project. Interest will come and go. When suddenly another skill is on top of the list, that alone might drive some coaches to play (and skill) their teams again - and they may very well kill something in the process...

The dynamics should be fun. Smile

harvestmouse wrote:
The naming policy is a little bit grey, the problem with it, is numbering. For example if it was Dave of Westerfield, Simon of Westerfield etc then there wouldn't be a problem. as it's numerical, it possibly is. You may fall foul if reported, so how about a suffix or some such. Seven of Nine Alpha (meaning the first seven of nine, the second could be Beta). Hopefully this little edition, will help with fluff over a period and keep you on the right side of the site rules.

Great idea! I never liked players named completely similar over several incarnations anyway.

To make it even more complicated and unique we could include the Cube and the incarnation. So it would for example be "Seven of Nine, Ranked 002, Alpha" which would translate into "the first player #7 on team Ranked Invasion Cube 002".

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahhhhh ok, I think the group rules need a bit of clarifying, they aren't clear for me.

So, if one team kills a Block/Claw player. Those 2 skills are available for every team, but only available once (until another player with block or claw is killed?).

Recruiting of marauders I also wasn't sure about. Are they free to recruit or do you have to kill to recruit them?

Actually wait.......no I'm not getting this at all. So the last player killed by any team is the only skill you can choose, until another player is killed??
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well the 'ranked 002' I think is a move back in the wrong direction. The problem with naming is with the team, not teams in the group. So every single player in the team would have this, making it more repetitive than without (repetition is against site rules).
gjopie

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Actually wait.......no I'm not getting this at all. So the last player killed by any team is the only skill you can choose, until another player is killed??

No - we keep track of all players killed. The most common skill in the pool is the first one you have to pick for any skilled up marauders, the second the next one, and so on, down the list. Nothing gets removed from the list, but new skills might make it higher up the ranking as more players are killed.

Rabe wrote:
Great idea! I never liked players named completely similar over several incarnations anyway.

To make it even more complicated and unique we could include the Cube and the incarnation. So it would for example be "Seven of Nine, Ranked 002, Alpha" which would translate into "the first player #7 on team Ranked Invasion Cube 002".

Like it. I'll have to retire and recreate my team, but that is totally fine anyway (was prepared to do that when I jumped the gun slightly).

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Also a couple of these teams in the test division would be a great idea too Wink
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmmmm that's a lot of admin work keeping track like that. For everyone not just the group admins. You're obliged to report every kill, and keep an eye on the stats.

Isn't there a simpler and more borgish way? The Borg pick the best for their needs don't they.

What about each member being a Borg entity of some sort and vote on the skills available from that week. Any skill voted for is available. Coaches aren't obliged to vote, all voting is kept secret so that it doesn't affect other voting.

That way the 'collective' look at what skills are needed and adds them to their resource. It could be that everyone votes for the same skill, or some go quirky. However the collective get what they need.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-P_HoyS2JXGU/T1hsP5JwnSI/AAAAAAAAANs/3XcOuysIVuc/s1600/patrick-stewart-facepalm-7c7f5.jpg
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

(Edit: Way to slow. The following is a direct reply to harvestmouse's idea with the test division!)

Oh yeah, I love the idea to have such teams in the test division! After all, Borg teams in the test division will never be forgotten by the Hive Mind! Isn't that incentive enough to start there? Smile

On your confusion:

I'll happily make it more clear on the group page - after all, everyone should understand! It will become a lot clearer once I create the list (even if still empty) though. Smile

On the player naming:

Okay, fair enough. Let's leave it with Alpha, Beta etc. then. But isn't it too repetitive when a starting roster looks like this?

"One of Thirteen, Alpha"
"Two of Thirteen, Alpha"
"Three of Thirteen, Alpha"
etc.

Sure, later a roster will look more varied, as soon as players get replaced by beta and gamma versions, but until then... Hmm.

Folks, please wait a bit with team creation! I know you're all eager to get started, but please let us figure out the naming convention first!
For the sakes of homogenity in the group, I'll most likely ask coaches to retire their wrongly named teams - or at least won't let them into the group. Players could be renamed by admins, but let's not create more work for them than needed!

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
hmmmmm that's a lot of admin work keeping track like that. For everyone not just the group admins. You're obliged to report every kill, and keep an eye on the stats.

It's not (depending a little bit on how often updates are expected).

Admin perspective:

I have an excel sheet with three columns:
Skill Category - Skill Name - Number of Assimilations

When a kill gets reported, I update it, sort it by the last column and then copy-paste it into the group page (doesn't look pretty, but it's efficient).

Coach perspective:

When I kill something, I copy-paste the URL of the match report into this thread.

When a player skills, I go to the group page and pick the appropriate skill from the list.

That's it! Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 20, 2014 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I get your point with the names now, however in the future there will be less repetition. Also as I pointed there is nothing wrong with a team all having the same family names and as these are words not numbers as such.....still as I said it's grey.

With my idea, reporting isn't obligatory. With the most common skill, it pretty much is to keep the theme.

You have to remember each coach has a crap bucket. You start happy with an empty bucket, however as things get tedious or the wins dry up, that bucket starts to fill. The more mandatory stuff, and the less diversity (i.e. having the same skills at the top of the list each day) the quicker that pile of poo is going to pile!
 Jump to: