51 coaches online • Server time: 22:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 12:05
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

With last night's update not going as smoothly as we hoped, I figured I'd put together a forum thread with some more detailed information and also at the same time request some feedback from you guys as to how things are working from your perspective.

Overview of the update process

1. Some rearranging of the old test server, renaming it to "live" on the server side (as opposed to the previous one called "dist"). There is no current test server for the moment, and a new one will be set up when needed. This part was relatively smooth and didn't take much time to get sorted.

2. Database administration: Renaming of the old test database to suit the production status of it (ie, remove reference to "test" in the db name), and set up permissions for a new user on it. Also relatively smooth and easy.

3. Update of some website code to add support for the additional parallell server (meaning spectate and play links should be correct once everything is in order). Again, fairly easy and more or less completed (see the current problems section below).

4. Update of the Java backend the site uses for scheduling. Now this was a major pain. The code changes themselves weren't too bad (relatively easy modifications, again see the problems section below). However, because of an update of the dev environment (Eclipse), my project files were in a complete mess with dependency problems and it took me three hours to get the backend to deploy properly. During this mess, there were some issues with blackbox (double games scheduled because there were two BB schedulers running at the same time for a while).

5. Some bugfixes to cover for mistakes in the previous steps.

Expected outcome
What I expected to happen with this update was that new games would go to the new server, while games started on the old server had a chance to complete there. Effectively, this would mean that the gamefinder and blackbox schedulers would schedule the matches on the new server and the site would push people onto the new server automatically.

Current problems

There is a problem with the Java backend <-> FFB server communication. The java backend (where the blackbox scheduler and the gamefinder resides) can't currently schedule games because of a mistake/typo on my part. I am hoping to fix this tonight.

This problem results in the site thinking that new games are running on the old server (because the java backend doesn't get a ffb game ID back from the ffb server properly), and therefore the resume links for the blackbox scheduler will push people onto the old server. As there's no scheduled match there either, you will be asked for a game name.

Now, for the gamefinder, this is a bit trickier. The gamefinder itself will launch the new server (I tested this last night) automatically, but looking now it appears as if games are still being played primarily on the old server. Are you guys needing to shut down the 1.2.0 client and using the resume link on the site (which would take you to the old server) in order to play? I don't quite understand what is going on with that at this point, and I haven't had the time to investigate this further (went to sleep past 2am and am at work at the moment).

Fixed issues

For a few hours (while I was sleeping), games started on the new servers mistakenly had the extra MVP and bonus inducement money enabled. This is now corrected and newly started games should be back to normal. If you have a game started where this is happening, you can (if you wish) have this game cancelled. Note though that as there are so few games that this affects, games that are uploaded with these options set will remain on the site. Call it a PR stunt. Smile

A couple of blackbox matches were double-scheduled during the update process. This will result in an ability to have a re-match (or another match entirely) being scheduled once the primary match has been played out and uploaded to the site. Again, if you wish to have these games unscheduled you can get in touch with staff to have that done. Otherwise, if both coaches want to, the additional scheduled match can be played out as per normal.

Additional information

The new server is up and running properly now, and the only issue is that the automated schedule systems push games to the old server. If you start games outside of the gamefinder or blackbox scheduler (ie, by clicking the play link on your overview and agree on a game name with your opponent), you'll be able to play on the new server and things should be working fine.

It is also likely that it's possible to use custom URLs for scheduled matches (in combination with a game name) to play blackbox and/or gamefinder scheduled games on the new server. I won't specify this further, but some of you can probably figure it out. The two server instances we have running (the old one, and the new 1.2.0 one) are equal as far as the website is concerned and games from both are accepted equally well. This means that if you can get your game running on the new server, it'll work fine.

Request for information
Some of the above is mostly speculation, and I'd be happy if you guys could post here with detailed information on what happens when you start games, and in particular if you have to do workarounds to do things. If you have detailed knowledge on how to use browser devtools, it'd be great to know the redirection process for the gamefinder in particular as I find it peculiar that these games aren't being played on the new server.

Finally, I want to apologize for this somewhat messy update. It's really really hard to test this stuff properly and in the end it comes down to me prioritising making changes over having a fully enterprise dev/test/production workflow with fully separated environments and proper migration tools.
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 12:24
FUMBBL Staff

Update Monday 24, 21:00
Despite the typo being fixed in the FUMBBL -> FFB Communication interface, the scheduling is still not working as expected. Investigation continues..

Update Monday 24, 23:15
Automatic scheduling is now fixed, and game finder and blackbox games now go to the new client without requiring a game name. Also fixed an issue with scheduled tourney games starting on the old server by mistake.

Update Tuesday 25, 15:25
An issue with spent petty cash has been resolved. The FUMBBL Cup should now have a custom pitch image for its games.

Remaining known issues:
- Replay links are wrong (although you can manually access the replays by switching the URL from ffb.jnlp to ffblive.jnlp for replays >= 650000). This will be fixed later tonight.
- Custom player portraits are not showing in the game. This will also be fixed tonight.

Update Tuesday 25, 19:25
Replay links and custom player portraits are fixed. No remaining issues known! Smile

Update Tuesday 25, 20:50
Apparently, custom pitch images aren't working properly in the client. I've disabled them for the time being until this can be fixed.

Update Wednesday 26, 09:50
Starting blackbox games from the blackbox page launches the wrong version of the client. This will be fixed tonight.

Update Wednesday 26, 19:50
Blackbox page links have been corrected.

Update Thursday 27, 10:10
Custom pitches have been reenabled again. Should be active for FUMBBL Cup and Blackbox games.

Known Issues
None

Last edited by Christer on Nov 27, 2014 - 10:12; edited 9 times in total
thebursar

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, for what it's worth (no knowledge of or experience in devtools or java):

I played a Blackbox game this morning: It went as you described above, I clicked resume, game started, prompted me for a game name, i pmed my opponent the game name.

I also played a Ranked game: this went exactly the same for me as with the Blackbox game. i did recieve a pm from my opponent that said :"it doesn't work". Not sure what he meant but when i pmed him the game name we played as normal.

I had inducements in both games but no option for Dirty Tricks. Could be my java version, it's 7.67.
Christer

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 12:41
FUMBBL Staff

For the gamefinder game, the website automatically started the new client at first though? And then you closed that and started from the resume link on your overview with a gamename?

Both of these games were likely played on the old server (meaning no dirty tricks).
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

You can easily check if you are running on the old server or the new one by clicking the Help->About menu in the client. The old server/client is version 1.0.5, the new one version 1.2.0.
Diceskill

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Both games I played during the night did not connect properly out of gamefinder. The client started without a prompt for a gamename, but would not let me join the game (empty pitch) after that.
When I quit the game and resumed from my home page, all worked as normal.
thebursar

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
For the gamefinder game, the website automatically started the new client at first though? And then you closed that and started from the resume link on your overview with a gamename?

Both of these games were likely played on the old server (meaning no dirty tricks).

No, for the Gamefinder game the website started the old client for me directly, asking for a game name. I closed the game once because I thought something went wrong and used the resume link. The client then asked for a game name again.
Niebling

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 13:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Might be off topic, but been away for a while, so this update sounds great Smile

So any chance that we can play blood bowl from our Ipads soon? Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 14:00
FUMBBL Staff

Niebling wrote:
Might be off topic, but been away for a while, so this update sounds great Smile

So any chance that we can play blood bowl from our Ipads soon? Smile

No. The new client switched the communication protocol from a custom binary format to (compressed) JSON. While this theoretically makes it possible to do a HTML5 client, to actually do that requires a complete rewrite of the app. While this isn't completely off the table, it's a long-term project and certainly won't be "soon".
TheSyron

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Started a game an half hour ago, via gamefinder (as it is stunty). Asked for a gamename, so I closed it at first (as I hadn't read this topic). We quickly got in, and it seems to be version 1.05. At least that what it says in the about section.
So I probably experienced the same as thebursar.

EDIT: Something very weird happened. I accepted a game versus Yazouz's Gnomes, but I ended up playing against his Gnoblar team. I shrugged it off, figured it was still okay and the game went off without a hitch (save for the game name stuff). But Yazouz's internet went down for a bit and we couldn't get the match underway again. My Fae are still up against his Gnoblar in the open game list, but he doesn't have the game anymore (as his Gnoblar are scheduled against someone elses Gnomes). So now we're starting the game with my Fae against his Gnomes.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I just quickly inspected the running 8 Ranked and 4 Box games. Only two of the Ranked games were using the 1.2 client.

One of two Stunty Leeg games used the new client.

Both League (tournament) games that were running did use the 1.05 one.

I don't think this is of much help, but I thought I'd just share what I found out. I also contacted one of the coaches who was using 1.2 and asked whether he might be willing to share and redirected him here.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

hey

i have a problem

i have just install win7 on my pc, and reinstalling java, and when i try to launch or spectate a match, it says that its impossible to launch FantasyFootballClient...

and it doesnt download the client

what can i do ?
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I would check to see how many versions of java you have installed on your machine first. Go to add/remove program list. (or press windows key and R at the same time) then type appwiz.cpl in the run box and press ok or run or what ever the button says. That will take you straight there, if you have multiple versions of java installed its probably best to uninstall all of them, then install java from scratch.

Let me know after you have done that.

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
I just quickly inspected the running 8 Ranked and 4 Box games. Only two of the Ranked games were using the 1.2 client...

..I don't think this is of much help, but I thought I'd just share what I found out. I also contacted one of the coaches who was using 1.2 and asked whether he might be willing to share and redirected him here.

That was me apparently. I have played three games today, all needed a g/n. The second game we had to use a 2nd game name as the first did not connect us. I think this must have been the old server in the end.

The last game apparently was on the new server and it loaded straight away with the game name I suggested. My previous setups for the team disappeared so it might be these are not ported over. I was playing up 50k so didn't see the DT deck but my opponent might have. The game experience was fine, just a little bit laggy at times normally at the end of a blitz or block, just before the POW dice were rolled. Didn't notice anything else different, which I guess is good!

In case it is useful my Java Version is 8.0.250

Last edited by m0gw41 on Nov 24, 2014 - 16:38; edited 1 time in total
fredoman

Post   Posted: Nov 24, 2014 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

thx a lot, the problem is resolved Smile

bye
 Jump to: