11 coaches online • Server time: 05:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What to do with +/-AG Blitzer @ 74 SPP?
a) keep her and deal with the 40k bloat
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
b) cut her and replace with a Mighty Blow Blitzer
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
c) cut her and replace with a Guard Blitzer
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
d) cut her and draft a Blitzer with Tackle and POMB
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Pie
34%
 34%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 23

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

This is the team. It's an NBFL team, and going into the offseason I'm going to get a draft pick and builder games to improve my players. I'm on the fence about whether to keep or cut a good-but-bloaty player.

I had a bad year last season (5-2-7), so I draft 8th this season: Most likely, the draft pick will be a +ST/Block Linewoman or one of a few cool Catchers, but there's a small chance the best player available will be a Blitzer and an excellent chance that one or more Tackle/POMB Blitzers will be on the board to replace her.

Along the way I'll be able to build up as many rookies as I want to 6 SPP in builder games against snotling teams who will try to gift my players TDs and Cas to get to their target SPPs. (Developed players and rookies who have hit their target stand around and watch, hoping not to get hit by thrown rocks and maybe picking up MVPs, but not doing anything.)

Here's my question. Blitzer #1 (Robinson) has +AG and -AG to go with her MB, Tackle, and Guard. She's 2 SPP from PO, and really honestly doesn't need anything but what she's got. Which is best for her?
a) keep her and deal with the 40k bloat (unless the +ST/Guard/MB Blitzer is on the board)
b) cut her and replace with a Mighty Blow Blitzer
c) cut her and replace with a Guard Blitzer
d) cut her and draft a Blitzer with Tackle and POMB, forgoing a +ST player

Oh, and my division is: Relezite with Norse; The_Provocateur with Vampires; and OTS with Wood Elves. Low-AV, but some superb coaches.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Cut cut cut!
Khor_Varik

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 19:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Burn the Witch!
Hmm, the... 'zone!
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 19:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep in mind, drafting her replacement means I forgo a shot at another superstar-type. Would I rather have a TPOMB Blitzer than a +ST/Block/Guard Catcher and a MB Blitzer, when I already have two TPOMBs?

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Keep in mind, drafting her replacement means...

Keep in mind, most coaches reading this thread won't know how the NBFL draft works.

Here's how any coach should normally* look at this question...

(* outside the NBFL, which is an unusual environment, and can allow instant pre-season replacements of high-skilled players)

1st) Ignoring the +/- stat, are there any OTHER rare skills - other +stats, any doubles?

2nd) Does this play support others (short-term?) while THEY get some skills (like on a new-ish team)?

3rd) How long would it take to replace this player from scratch?

This player has ZERO double-skills - Zon Blitzers are [G,S] access on normals, so - nuthin' there. It would only take 31 spp to replace. She adds nothing to the team that a rookie Blitzer can't do almost as well, or soon enough.

So - the clear answer is FIRE.

Now, in the NBFL, what to replace her with? Your team has only 3 Tacklers, and the NBFL has doubles-freaks and blodgers to spare - you need more Tacklers, but you can build those w/ normal rolls.

I'd draft +stat if you can. But an instant 3rd Tackle/POMB'er is not a bad thing.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but what skill am I forgoing? A shot at Jump Up? Juggernaut? Another Grab? Pro? Nothing screams at me as a 5th skill for the Zon Blitzer.

With the 3rd Tackle/POMBer, it's a question of, is that so good a thing it's better than a special player? I mean, it is the 8th freakin' pick, I'm probably looking at a +ST/Block Lina, a +ST/Block/Guard Catcher, or a Block/POMB Catcher.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeat wrote:
1st) Ignoring the +/- stat, are there any OTHER rare skills - other +stats, any doubles?

2nd) Does this play support others (short-term?) while THEY get some skills (like on a new-ish team)?

3rd) How long would it take to replace this player from scratch?

1st: There aren't any I want. The whole point of Blitzers is that you can load them up with S skills. Specifically, MB, PO, and Guard (and Tackle). She's got all but PO and only needs 1 Cas to get that.
2nd: Sort of. She's 2 points from PO, and then she'll be clearing the field so my linas and Thrower can score. She also has Guard.
3rd: 1 season with MB, until I draft a new one if I take Guard.

Those who voted D, if that's not an option, would you keep, replace with MB, or replace with Guard?

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Yeah, but what skill am I forgoing?

Blodgestepping Guard on 2 skills, 1 normal + 1 double?

And, yeah, as pointed out elsewhere, a JU killer is awesome sauce on Ag 3+. Surprise POMB blocks, MA 6 from prone, all gravy.

Is it worth giving/losing 40k of inducements (80% of a Dirty Tricks card!) so you don't have to draft/build her clone?

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, thats the real question. I'm really tempted by a Skill player named E. Rhett, with Block, POMB, and 46 SPP. As a Catcher, that would mean I could take Tackle and Jump Up on normals, and I could either keep Robinson or replace her with a one-skill.

SS on Zon blitzers isn't as good as advertised. AV7 in a Tackle-heavy environment, need multiple POMBers to win the numbers game. Every SS is one less MB, Guard, Tackle, or PO. Really with Zons you're hoping the normals fall on the Blitzers and the special stuff falls on everyone else.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2014 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Tough call. My own instinct says keep but use as bait/assistance and use her for the risky stuff. So if she dies, nothing "lost". You can use her as a distraction, move her to the backfield in anticipation of a pass, then go do other things while two opposing players will go after her to knock her down, and you hope Nuffle laughs at the other coach as the doubleskull comes up.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2014 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

This is the only reason I fear bloat. Otherwise I'd keep her and load up to 15 players with 2 Catchers, and still be an underdog all the time. But that team with inducements (they'll get a draft pick too) is exceptionally tricksy.

For MattDakka, Smeat, and those of you who voted D, if I don't draft a Blitzer (there are only 2 on my board, they might both be gone), which of A-C should I consider?

A) Keep, cope with bloat
B) Dump for MB
C) Dump for Guard

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2014 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh... I share ATH's approach, "A". In the NBFL, there are enough killers looking for something to do - let them drool over a fat "+Ag" target, and when she dies instead of someone else you can celebrate.

GronxWild

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2014 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Bake a cripled zone pie, and share it!
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2014 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Argument for Keep: Have 4 Guards and 4 hitters, keep draft pick, for 40k in bloat
Argument for MB: Save bloat, rebuild 4th hitter as fast as possible, keep draft pick, only 3 Guards
Argument for Guard: Save bloat, have 4 Guard, keep draft pick, but only 3 hitters
Argument for Draft: Save bloat, have 4 hitters, but no draft pick and only 3 Guards

Honestly, unless the +ST/G/MB Blitzer is on the board or my whole top 5 is gone when I pick, I'm leaning to either keeping her or taking a Guard Blitzer and not sweating her development. Rebuilding a Blitzer doesn't sound like fun. A Guard-only Blitzer will be 100k cheaper than Robinson once Robinson gets her PO (1 more Cas). So it's really down to, unless the draft goes exactly the right way, save 100k (that is, have an extra bribe, or probably not give up a Wizard vs NYG) or have a third TPOMBer (with 4 Tackle and 4 POMB).

Post   Posted: Dec 31, 2014 - 11:18 Reply with quote Back to top

K, I drafted a +ST/Block Linewoman: couldn't pass up the third +ST on an Amazon team. Option D (our poll winner) is officially off the table.

If I keep the Blitzer I'm at a TV of about 2200k, probably giving up a Wizard to the Vamps, but getting small inducements (read: Bribes, Babes, and the occasional Trick or Wizard) in a lot of games. If I rebuild her, I'll be around 2100k, probably not giving up any Wizards, and getting inducements in most games.

If you voted D, please pipe up: Keep, Guard, or MB, given that.

Note also that 4x POMB (what I'd get for keeping the Blitzer) is more useful vs Vamps than just about anything elseā€¦ get them Thralls out early, watch the Vamps go bye-bye later on.