48 coaches online • Server time: 12:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Mar 17, 2016 - 04:33 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
The bottom line is how much could the community do of the difficult jobs to the required standard?

I agree, that IS the bottom line. Let's find out. It'll be a lot easier for WhatBall to do quality control on an actual product than on nothing.

Worst case scenario is a bunch of people go off half-cocked and produce shit and it all gets scrapped and we're right back to where we started. Oh well.

On the other hand, just maybe, once we have a team to work with we can produce, at the very least, rought drafts of the fluff, roster, icons and portraits. And THEN there's something tangible WhatBall can sink his teeth into and the whole process won't look quite so daunting.

What MUST happen first is a decision on which team. And although I've tried some fun posts to guage the communities interest/ preferences (the 2014 Stunty Wish was the most recent one) we know it's not a democratic process and ultimately WhatBall has to settle on a team.

Once that's done it's conceivable he could just come in for clean up and final coordination with Christer and Kalimar.

I was around for the PFlings. I know it's a long journey. It begins with one step.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2016 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Sad to say, I don't think this will go anywhere. I joined FUMBBL in 2012 and I was around when ProFlings were created too, it was a totally different thing four years ago. I also remember the first FUMBBL birthday for me, it was amazing to have special players with the features of the admins. The year after we had zombies for the birthday, then nothing, then nobody was even speaking of the birthday or expecting something funny. It seems that FUMBBL will not change anymore, probably due to the lack of time of the guys that were previously involved in this stuff. This can be understood. Everyone has his own life and such changes require a lot of time and efforts.

I have been hoping for the secret league teams and new stunty teams for a long time, until I realized that, given the current situation, this simply won't happen. But is still nice to have FUMBBL, guess we should be content with what we have.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2016 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Crook666 wrote:
Sad to say, I don't think this will go anywhere. I joined FUMBBL in 2012 and I was around when ProFlings were created too, it was a totally different thing four years ago.

It will, if anything as long as I have the motivation I'll get one done in the next couple of years if I have to do everything myself.

Crook666 wrote:
I also remember the first FUMBBL birthday for me, it was amazing to have special players with the features of the admins. The year after we had zombies for the birthday, then nothing.

That was me with some help from Whatball. It was an incredible lot of work in a short time, as much as working. Especially the second year where I had a high pressure job and produced what was needed on my only 3 day holiday. I had ideas for the next 2 years, but received no incentives. I no longer suggest my ideas. That's up to the top bods on whether they want to do something else.

Crook666 wrote:
It seems that FUMBBL will not change anymore, probably due to the lack of time of the guys that were previously involved in this stuff.

Yes and no. If I had the help, the backing and the community were forthcoming in helping I'd take on many more projects. Hell I just worked on a new player for Stunty and the first time I requested help I received no replies. The second I received some but none from the coaches that the new player applied too. Usually if I do something now, I don't want anybody to know it was me. Feedback is just nothing or negative, the community just gives no incentive.

Crook666 wrote:
I have been hoping for the secret league teams and new stunty teams for a long time, until I realized that, given the current situation, this simply won't happen. But is still nice to have FUMBBL, guess we should be content with what we have.

That's just it. 'Hoping'. When I started I didn't know how to do anything. Now, the position is there are half a dozen people who can only something. I taught myself to do icons, as did the other icon makers. If you want something done, you did it yourself it'd be much easier. However it's always relying on those few who get burnt out. It's ok Saying 'let's make it a community project' but the reality is there are only a few that can/do do the 'grind' work.

If somebody came to me and said 'Look, I want to make a team, what do you think about this project. Help me, teach me.' I wouldn't turn my back on such a person.
Crook666

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2016 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you explained it all very well Harvestmouse and, on a personal level, I am sorry that nobody gave you feedbacks or help. I don't know why this community turned the back on you but has been long time that you seem very disappointed and this is a little sad because I know you were one of the guys who started all this.

Personally, I think it's better to leave FUMBBL as it is and not even talking about changes. For Stunty, all I ask is some little improvement in the managing of tournaments, and maybe we are on the right path.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2016 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Whatball is the man. When everything is in line with him, the troops will rally and it'll get done. However his life is stupidly busy.........so it will get done when he is ready.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2016 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Howdy all. I missed this when it restarted. I will try and give a full update later tonight or tomorrow.

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2016 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

And go read points one through three in the first post. Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2016 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, here we go.

First, tournaments were mentioned. The Stunty tournaments are still Shadow's domain, he runs them and does everything for them. I help with prizes and had a big say in the four majors. That is not say I transferring blame to him, it was my fault for not getting things handed over properly and up and running. There is now a very active tournament committee and easilyamused and Shadow are working closely on the Stunty tournies, so they should be much more regular now.

Onto the "new" team in question. After all the discussion the Chaos Familiars presented the most interesting choice, based on skills, team dynamic, fluff, etc. There was a lot of work behind the scenes looking into adding some new skill(s) to the client to make the Chaos See-saw and other ideas work. There was a lot of PMs on fluff, rosters, etc. Unfortunately a number of factors lead to the prolonged delay.

Kalimar has understandably been unable to spend time on the client, at work I lost access to FUMBBL due to a switch to (F#$K'n) BlueCoat and have not been able to keep up on discussions for the past 1+ year. (If you can all send submissions to BlueCoat to get the site classified as a forum and not a gaming site I will be more active.) I am also busy in real life, which has not all been the best. There are all kinds of other little set backs as well.

This is not really an apology, just an explanation. I would love a new team as well, but I refuse to just rush one out for the sake of it. You can ultimately blame me for it not being done yet.

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2016 - 17:38
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Would it be easier to produce a team that doesn't require new mechanics?

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2016 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, so I went back and reread the Chaos Familiars thread TWICE. With all of the quality, nearly out-of-the-box team designs to choose from (Bray Herd, Wizards, Clan Moulder, Effigies, Bogeys, etc.) I just can't fathom why the Familiars was the one that got settled on. Just for the HMP TTM?? That's the reason? The rest of the list as it exists in the thread seems fairly humdrum.

That said, if that's to be the next team, I'm offering to help. I know there's an icon set around for the Familiars, but if the other players need icons that's something I can at least get rolling. Clearly I'm not as talented as...(crap, I can't remember who made the Nurgling and Horror icons) <--- that guy, but I can at least get started on a framework to expand on.

Or, if there are other things you'd like help with, let us know.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2016 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
Clearly I'm not as talented as...(crap, I can't remember who made the Nurgling and Horror icons) <--- that guy, but I can at least get started on a framework to expand on.

That was me and thanks!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2016 - 09:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:
Alright, so I went back and reread the Chaos Familiars thread TWICE. With all of the quality, nearly out-of-the-box team designs to choose from (Bray Herd, Wizards, Clan Moulder, Effigies, Bogeys, etc.) I just can't fathom why the Familiars was the one that got settled on.

I was a bit surprised too. Firstly of course, as I have a vested interest in Familiars, it's difficult for me not to have a bias. Bray might have been my choice. However a couple of points.

The first one is the 'out of the box' team design.

This was one of Shadow's rules for coming up with new rosters (if anybody hasn't read Shadow's post on new rosters, you should). However of all Shadow's rules, this is the one I disagree with as Stunty is currently. In Shadow (and admins before) day, the division commissioner wasn't as hands on doing the new team projects as Whatball.

Now we have the ability to have a group design a roster. So my personal opinion is that how things are now, this is the opposite of what we want. We want good creative design ideas that we can make a balanced team that fits well with the other teams. Rather than taking rosters from here there and everywhere. The main rules suffer from that.

Secondly, one of the better aspects of Familiars is that the roster is an open book. There's a couple of ways we could go with the roster. I'd like to add some new things to the division and this roster has the potential to be truly unique.

Thirdly aesthetically this roster has the potential to be the best. There's so many really nicely designed players to fit in to this roster that I'm sure it will go down well when finished.

Personally, I think the way we worked with Pro Halflings showed that a group effort is much better. It got it's own niche (professional esque positions, ag4/no G access, great TTM potential) so that it has it's own feel. A team that plays the way the big boys do, in Stunty. I mean if it wasn't an open resource for ideas, I doubt we'd ever have come up with the borrower idea.

As well as all this, as this roster is an open book. It has the potential to bring in some of the aspects of Wizards and Bogarts, if they fit.

Lastly, I think now how the division has formed it's important to respect the design criteria from the past. Everything has distinctly come from Warhammer. This isn't to say that new rosters couldn't be totally new, but they'd have to fit the world the division is trying to portray. Familiars are a missing stunty from the already established world. On top of that, with some truly unique big guys/weapon that will look fantastic.

MisterFurious wrote:
Sigmar1 wrote:
Clearly I'm not as talented as...(crap, I can't remember who made the Nurgling and Horror icons) <--- that guy, but I can at least get started on a framework to expand on.

That was me and thanks!

I totally agree. For me MisterFurious is the best. Technically not as good as Whatball, but there's something about his icons that I adore. I think Furious has been my favourite from the day I saw his Max Spleenripper.

I've learnt a lot from him too. I now use smudging and brushes for almost all of my armour now. I've taken apart some of his Nurgle icons to work with and the shading/highlighting is so beautifully complex in a subtle way.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2016 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Rereading the notes on the seesaw, I think there were 2 parts to the special rule.

1. Being able to TTM/HMP.
2. Being able to launch involuntary players. I.e. if an opposing player was placed in the TZ of a seesaw the 'bouncer' could the seesaw under his feet and TTM him into next week.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2016 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe this is the intent, but TTM the opposing team's players would make it awfully easy to toss them out of bounds by aiming for a pitch corner.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2016 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Max Spleenripper was one of my icons from the ST4 icon project. That said, love Mr. F's style. Different approach than mine. I went with a more advanced version of what was done previously. His are done at double size and reduced. I wish we had a new client where large sprites were possible so we could have a go at a new set.

And yes, the seesaw was going to introduce throwing opposing players.