66 coaches online • Server time: 21:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ravensaursrex

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been thinking about this for a while, partly because I have a fondness of odd units and strange rules and teams full of them appeal to me. Being drawn to the gobos and their cheating ways I read up on their abilities and found it a tad annoying that half their units can't gain SPP normally, through murder and maiming. The chainsaw is the poster-child for this so that's what I will focus on. It's not hard to see why, with a lucky role or two you could rack up the points amazingly fast. However, currently it has a really hard time getting anywhere useful and tends to be either forgotten or only used for fun most of the time. The original fix for the possible abuse was to strip it of any SPP chance it had and while it did take it down a peg it makes it rather frustrating. So the problem becomes do you allow it to gain SPP normally and possibly ramp up too quickly or keep it as it is now and remain an uphill battle?

Well thinking about this I thought of two options that would go a long ways to helping out. The first one is simply half the SPP it gets from causing a wound, meaning it only gets one point per maiming/death and while this slows it down the blasted thing can allow your loony to rank up some time next year without having him fight all your other players for the MVP spot. The second method would be to simply cap it, meaning it only gains SPP from the first wounding blow it deals but not the ones after it so it can only gain two points per match. This could easily be expanded to the bombardier and other tricky units but again for the sake of simplicity lets keep things to the chainsaw.

I have no idea how balanced either of these two ideas are but the current stranglehold is clearly not something that working out and while I know that changing the rules and skills is not likely to happen I feel like it should at least be discussed.

Happy to hear everyone's opinion on my crazed ranting.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I like it and can't see a problem with it being overpowered, even awarding 2 spp each cas, for gobbos. Stunty league would be different.

Also: Garion please make a Secret League team with a saw that has M access. Thanks in advance.

Smile
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

The main problem here is that you've bypassed his main criteria. Does he need extra skills to do his job? The answer is no. Skills in fact can make him too expensive. Obviously, rolling a double is good, you can give him block. However on regulars, you can give him side step, which is.........okish. Any other regular skills start to add to his price and his worth.

The bottom line, I think most coaches with a chainsaw player are moderately happy not skilling him at all.
Cavetroll

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse, what would you think of Sneaky Git on the chainsaw for those times he doesn't break armor (yeah, it happens)?

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that's using him as a fouler instead of a blitzer. As a blitzer you cannot turnover. My view is dedicated foulers are only worth it if they're dirt cheap now, I think he's too expensive unless it's a juicy target. I actually can't remember the last time I fouled with a saw, just seems a bad trade.

I wouldn't sack one if it skilled, it's against my morals. I think I'd go side step, jump up and sure feet. However how much better has he got with those skills? Very little.
jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Goblin chainsaws don't start with dodge so that is a good skill choice...sidestep or diving tackle are other goodies. I would argue that wrestle may be a better doubles choice than block but either is nice, as is dirty player. My current favourite skill choice (in theory... never actually got one to skill) is leap.

Blitzing with them can cause a turnover... kickback failure. Since they're going to be sent off after a drive anyway, I do foul with them, a lot... I'll block if someone is next to me, blitz if I can hit a blodger or ballcarrier (preferably ticking both boxes) but otherwise, keeping it properly goblin-style, fouling is the way to go.

Back on topic... yeah, they need SPPs. But they can carry the ball now (they used to have No Hands) so touchdowns and even completions/interceptions are possibilities.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I did not notice they lost that nega-trait, not that it makes a ton of difference as they were walking targets before and fairly easy to take down. As for your claim that they do not need extra skills Harvestmouse, in general I would agree with you, but as stated above they are very easy to knock out since they wound themselves if tapped lightly so it's a very careful game to play with them. So they need some form of defense at least to make your day easier and even thin if you throw enough blocks no defensive will last and all you need is one half decent hit to get them out.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, I forgot that CRP saws don't come with dodge. That makes a difference in 1 in 6 hits (if it's a 1 die, less if more, nothing if a tackle) on him. Also I guess it'll make a difference when blitzing. Costwise is it worth it? Maybe yes, but yeah you shouldn't worry too much about cost.

However the bottom line is, there aren't any skills you can add, that'll make him much better at his job. Dirty player and sneaky git maybe on fouls. Sure feet and sprint for long range blitzing, but still the bottom line is this:

If he skills, yeah that's cool (for me, not if you want to keep your TV low). If he doesn't meh no worries it won't make a major difference to his game and that is a fact.

I know it's difficult to protect saws, however replacing them if you have the money isn't a bother. They'll get sent off anyway. Sure s/s and dodge could help in keeping them for the drive. blodge/wrodge s/s is a fair amount of protection. However against an st 3 blockle blitzer his days are numbered.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I have found the easiest way to skill up the chainsaw is for him to score TOUCHDOWNS until 16+SPP. Yes, he can carry the ball. 2 Chances for him to blodge up OR 2 skill ups to make him more reliable to get the chain were it needs to go, Dodge and Sure Feet.

Skilling up the bomber is pointless inless you roll doubles. So, just live and die with bombs randomly falling from the skies.

The ball and chain is the only reliable skill up guy.

So in the end only the bomber has a issue with skilling up and skilling up with useful skills.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

You want to buff anything related to Goblins/Flings you need to address the sneaky git skill and buff it with my idea.

Sneaky git is only sent off if he rolls doubles on the INJURY roll. So in essence Git reduces send off chances to 1 in 6 on a successful foul and no send off chances on a failed foul.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Chainsaws are for regen people actually!
Uedder

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2015 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys i think a chainsaw suffers an av roll any time he hits the ground.

Wrestle? Rolls av

DT? Rolls av
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 00:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Uedder wrote:
Guys i think a chainsaw suffers an av roll any time he hits the ground.

Wrestle? Rolls av

DT? Rolls av

Nope. Chainsaw only rolls when he is Knocked Down, rather than Placed Prone. So neither of those skills triggers an AV roll.

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be more interested in skilling up a bombardier. Hail Mary Pass artillery fun!

Oscar Wilde
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2015 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
I would be more interested in skilling up a bombardier. Hail Mary Pass artillery fun!

It's the most fun!
 Jump to: