43 coaches online • Server time: 15:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Best Rob Reiner films?
Stand By Me
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Princess Bride
53%
 53%  [ 35 ]
Misery
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
This is Spinal Tap
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
A Few Good Men
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
When Harry Met Sallly
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 65

Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

So for those that do not have their finger on the pulse, Christer is going to work on a scalable client so that when finished we will no longer have to play with a tiny little window on our screen that makes our eyes bleed. Though this development work is still in its infancy and will take quite some time to complete.

I have already completed one of the two new pitches the site will use (the blackbox one). it is big enough to fit a 4k monitor full screen, I have also done the new dug outs. I just need to complete the grass pitch and new blood stains pack.

That stuff aside ^ we will also need new SVG icons for a scalable client. The pixels we are using will still be usable and any custom leagues will be able to keep any pixel art they have done. The SVG icons will be needed for the sites main divisions though, as a scalable client is of paramount importance, and SVG is the best method for icon creation because you do not lose clarity when images are make bigger and smaller.

I have created a new Wiki help page with instructions on how to create SVG characters -

https://fumbbl.com/help:InkscapeIcons

Please have a look through all the pages I have added, so you can see how this stuff works. Any budding artists that want to help out please contact me on Discord -
https://fumbbl.com/p/discord

In the long run we will be creating character cards of sorts, a bit like this - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/437815923949174796/559764051337674792/Skeleton_character_sheet.png

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I am a dork and have always used the abstract icons. So I would be fine with scaleable dots. Razz

The skeleton looks lovely though. Smile
Subs

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I play around with inkscape for a while so if i could help... That says i'm far for being a pro! :]
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It is inconceivable that you people can't handle the truth. This thread goes to 11!
fidius

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll have what ^^he's^^ having.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Why are critics dissatisfied with the performance of James Caan in Misery?

To the true content of this topic:
I wished for a very realistic display of the figures on the client. No comic look please.
Mattius

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent news, can't help artistically. But msg me if donations might help
Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:

I wished for a very realistic display of the figures on the client. No comic look please.

Thats not possible for the player icons. Because they have to be scalable, so that they work on tiny screens and giant monitors alike.

Mattius wrote:
Excellent news, can't help artistically. But msg me if donations might help

Donations always help Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 20:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Dominik wrote:

Thats not possible for the player icons. Because they have to be scalable, so that they work on tiny screens and giant monitors alike.

Lets assume the majority will play on 1920*1080 displays and in future many more will even play on 4k displays. Most of these players will have the client scaled to full size. Realistic player icons should be technically possible in that case and in case the player reduce the size of the client or someone plays on his 1366*768 laptop, you could still offer the comic icons.

I am just saying, that it could be more rewarding to support the players with larger screens than those with smaller screens especially in view of the future.
Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

If you can make usable "realistic icons" please do, and send me your work so we can test it.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
Garion wrote:
Dominik wrote:

Lets assume the majority will play on 1920*1080 displays and in future many more will even play on 4k displays. Most of these players will have the client scaled to full size. Realistic player icons should be technically possible in that case and in case the player reduce the size of the client or someone plays on his 1366*768 laptop, you could still offer the comic icons.

I am just saying, that it could be more rewarding to support the players with larger screens than those with smaller screens especially in view of the future.

Options for alternative icons would be cool. But I think that it would be better to get a full set of the base sets first.

As for "more rewarding", I think that supporting tablets is likely to be more "rewarding" than people who want to run full screen on massive screens.

There is also the matter of who will create these "very realistic" figures.

I assume that we are still talking 2D sprites so I still wouldn't expect "very realistic" to compete much with Cyanide.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

My knowledge of digital graphics consists of 10 hours GIMP 15 years ago. Unfortunately I cannot help you out.
I was just trying to give some input from a players perspective. Since all the arts of Blood Bowl are realistic I had suggested that the client resembles to that as much as possible. After all tabletop is all we came from.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 22:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
Why are critics dissatisfied with the performance of James Caan in Misery?

I want to stop you right here, dead in your tracks.

What exactly about the current icons could be qualified as 'realistic'.

Or are you really fishing for 'figurine resemblance' here.

FWIW, the only thing that matters is product in hand. The aesthetics are important but with function first - my only request to you Garion is that you ensure that in mirror matches, the possibility of confusion between teams could be dampened.

Oh, and in certain scenarios it's hard to tell who has and hasn't moved when playing in the rain.

Visually, those are two hangups with the status quo that frustrate me.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2019 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Imo the current icons try to "resemble" the figures of BB as much as possible given the litte space of size for each model.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2019 - 03:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Imo the current pixel art icons are "cartoony". Relatively large heads. I think it adds to the charm of the graphics.

We haven't seen a proposed svg icon yet. Whether it swings towards cartoony, or realistic, or stays in a happy middle ground, I'm very interested to find out.

It's a huge project both on the art side and Christer programming hours.
 Jump to: