51 coaches online • Server time: 21:04
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I know that the general consensus is that Diving Catch STINKS and that no one should ever take it as a skill ever. So... that has been covered thoroughly. And I know the general opinion is that no one should ever Pass the ball EVER.

What does Diving Catch actually do?

I've been kicking around playing Slann a bit more for the past few weeks and of course the Slann Catcher has Diving Catch. Plus I like to play teams that Throw the Ball sometimes. So it would be good to know exactly what this skill does.

Does Diving Catch give a player extra potential movement? If my Rookie Slann Catcher is standing 10 squares from the End Zone... Can I throw the ball 1 square in front of him (towards the end zone) and would DC him 1 square closer to the End Zone? Then he would be 9 squares from the End Zone and now able to potentially move 7 squares + 2 GFIs to score a Touchdown?

Can I attempt to Handoff to a player with DC from 1 square away? Will he be able to receive the Handoff this way?

If he is marked by 1 player that is between him and the end zone. Can I throw the ball to a square in front of him and get him out of that players TZ? What if that player marking him has Shadowing or Diving Tackle or Tentacles?

Are there any cool little things you can do with DC that I have not mentioned?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 05:23 Reply with quote Back to top

poorly

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 05:31
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

You should re-read the rulebook, diving catch was completely changed from the LRB4 version.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 05:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody have a LINK to the Rule Book?
fidius

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 05:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Player can catch balls that land in his empty TZs as if they were accurate (no +1 bonus) but he doesn't actually move. Also he gets an additional +1 to accurate passes targeted to his square. If you're throwing to a DC player with AG4 and want to shorten your range you can target an empty square between thrower and him, and it will still be 2+ because it's an accurate pass (ie you get the bonus +1 for accurate but not for DC, so 3+ becomes 2+). An AG4 Slann Catcher is 2+ to catch an accurate pass if he's in 1 TZ, and 3+ in 2 TZs.

But yeah. RTFM. Smile

Last edited by fidius on %b %26, %2015 - %05:%Mar; edited 1 time in total
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 05:43 Reply with quote Back to top

http://wwww.googleisfree/lazy/seriously.com
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

BillBrasky wrote:
http://wwww.googleisfree/lazy/seriously.com

That LINK doesn't work Brasky.

And the last time I tried Google it led me to a Rules Book that would not open (but that may have been due to the computer I was on).
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

It'll probably be a pdf file. Get Acrobat Reader.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 06:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm at work and without ADMIN privileges.

So anyway... DC probably SHOULD be able to add 1 additional movement to a player. It would at least make it a better skill.
The only negative I can see to that would be the BUFF it would give to 1-turning. It would mostly be used by 1 Turner types and of course Slann Catchers. But cheese is part of the game anyway even without being able to use DC for cheesing.
coombz

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 06:22 Reply with quote Back to top

wow

just wow

That's Trailer Park Life.
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 13:04 Reply with quote Back to top

If you google "LRB6 PDF" it comes up straight away.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Billbrasky +1

Search Google:

bloodbowl crp filetype:pdf

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 13:52 Reply with quote Back to top

There's also a link to the rules on the NAF website.

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 14:07 Reply with quote Back to top

DC is a quite useful skill. It has ample amounts of uses with slann. I'd not really recommend paying for it tho.

1. You can not actually use it to move somewhere. You'll be stuck standing whereever your are. The ball comes to you. Also it doesn't work on hand-offs. The ball isn't flying there, you need to have the ball actually flying rather than bouncing. Also you can't hand off to an empty square.

2. The most common use for me has been during blitzes. The catcher usually has to move up to the square where the ball is. If you have DC you can choose an adjacent square, allowing you to choose from a total of 9 different squares to position your catcher in. The ball will also bounce from the new position. This allows you to reach the ball with reduced speed capabilities. Note that the square where the ball lands must be unoccupied.

3. One use that is a bit obscure is to utilize a kicker. In the unlikely event the ball scatters to the frontline and there is a perfect defense, you can snatch it from the other side of the pitch. Mind you if you drop the ball it will likely result in a touchback.

4. Recieving in tacklezones is a very viable option now. You don't have to worry about having somebody stand next to your catcher when you pass.
It's sometimes more benefitial now to pass instead to hand off tho. 2+2+ > 3+...

5. If you have an ag5 catcher you don't have to pass the full distance and can save GFI by passing behind him. With actions like that you can also better bypass potential intercept attempts.

6. When you set up for recieving, take care to have empty spaces around your various passers, this allows them to cover 9 squares each instead of 1 from where they potentially can catch the ball and save you the one or other pick up roll.

7. There is a hyptothetical very strong synergy with pass block in the way that you may not only be able to swoop in to profit from VLL with the catcher but also can pick off inaccurate passes directly when that fails. However, I haven't ever tested the efficiency or usefulness of that combo, due to need for different skills. It would be very interesting to see tho. I don't think I have ever caught an actual indirect pass from the other team.

8. Almost forgot: before the ball goes out of bounds there is mostly a decent enough overview to get a rough idea on what squares it may end up in. It is usually any of the closer squares and then in straight lines from the point of exit. So you can position recievers at potential weak spots to snatch the ball in case of an out of bounds... this way you can cover even squares close to the opponent where the ball might bounce right back on an opponent player and you don't have to stand in an actual zone. It did help me a couple of times.
Xeterog

Post   Posted: Mar 26, 2015 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

#3 shouldn't work, as once you catch it, it's over the mid-field line and thus a touchback.