21 coaches online • Server time: 04:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What skill should Tuzerg take?
Block
68%
 68%  [ 22 ]
Sure hands
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Dodge
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Other (please comment suggestions below)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Tuzerg, my ball-handling, TD scoring Ogre (member of the B0neheadz) just rolled doubles... Now the question becomes what to take? Block? Sure hands? Dodge?

His current skill rolls are:
Break tackle, +Ma, +Ag, Juggernaut

Arguments for each...

Block: Often times he'll get 1 BD hit and the lack of block brings him down... Even though he has Juggernaut.

Sure Hands: The use is two-fold... It defends against strip ball and also helps with ball pick-ups. With 3 Ag, that isn't so bad... But it saves RRs and gives him an edge in bad weather or nasty in-TZ pick-ups

Dodge: Dodge can give some protection against being hit but also lets him dodge reliably using either breaktackle or this 3 AG, which allows him to dodge more reliably multiple times in a turn (e.g., using breaktackle for a tough dodge, then dodging away with a 3+ auto RR).

There are good arguments for each of them... I'm probably leaning towards sure hands... But giving him Block certainly helps with longevity and really helps defend against those pesky blocks while he has the ball. That being said, it doesn't really help vs. wrestle/strip ball, etc.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 04:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Just thinking out loud... Sure hands helps every time he picks up the ball (+side bonus for when he needs to defend vs. strip).

Lately, I've found him on the turf A LOT due to lack of block... So, taking block really seems to make sense too... That being said, if I can keep him safe and reduce the amount of hits he takes both on offence/defence, sure hands could be used more frequently... But Block may keep him alive long enough to get sure hands on his legendary skill Wink
CastleMan

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

sure hands would be my first choice, but as he is your primary ball carrier block all the way.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

At first, I was thinking between Block and Sure Hands... After some thought, I think Block is the way to go... Adds longevity, makes him a more reliable blocker (off/def), and it keeps him safer with the ball... Worst case he gets wrestled down (no Av roll) or strip balled (still standing).

Not having block results in both loss of ball and Av rolls which hurts the team because then he gets injured more often and the team is better when he's out there.

Sure hands is a luxury... It helps vs. strip ball and saves some RRs picking up balls (also helps in heavier traffic), but I think with his +Ag, I just need to deal with the fact that sometimes he'll need an extra turn to pick up the ball, knowing that when he does get it, he'll keep it safer.

So, assuming I go block... If he rolls doubles for legendary skill, I think I'd go dodge over sure hands even then! Blodge would just be so hard to turn down... Dodge helps with BT and reliable 3 Ag dodging and also provides better ball/player security when getting hit. Certainly tough/fun choices! Smile
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Dodge for me. Getting hit it's just as effective as Block unless the attacker has tackle. Hitting others you can use the blitz to trigger the juggernaut safety net. But the mobility it adds is golden.

Join the Human League Premiership!
The_Provocateur

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 04:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Block because block will always be useful on every turn he isn't prone or dead.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:
Dodge for me. Getting hit it's just as effective as Block unless the attacker has tackle. Hitting others you can use the blitz to trigger the juggernaut safety net. But the mobility it adds is golden.

Great points... But it always seems that those 1 BD hits seem to bring him down with block. I'm concerned that if I only have dodge that it just means those 1 BD hits will come from someone with tackle and be just as effective.

The_Provocateur wrote:
Block because block will always be useful on every turn he isn't prone or dead.

Hard to argue with that point. Even if opponent has wrestle, it still provides protection... Also, even harder to argue with the #1 ranked coach on fumbbl Wink.
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, a side-note, that will be my 4th ogre with block Very Happy
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 05:48 Reply with quote Back to top

THAT is a nice skill post! Truely,quite the tough choice. You got 4 rerolls so 1- picking the ball should be ok and 2- jugg so blitzing away should be doable too .

really a very good question. I'd be scratching my head a lot on this one but out of mydrunk head i'd say dodge. Multitask-protection and scoring. Wich complements well with your jugg, 3 agi , 4 rerolls...
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 05:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunenzed wrote:

there, he isyour ball handler, not anyrandom LOS ogre, Razz
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

For me the choice is between pro and block. Lean towards pro cos he already has juggernaut.

Oscar Wilde
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 06:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
For me the choice is between pro and block. Lean towards pro cos he already has juggernaut.

But it's an ogre team so, if necessary, I can just use a team RR (no loner)... Pro is great for players that want to re-roll pushed block dice, etc... But as your ball carrier only a 50% chance to RR something usually means a turnover/disaster.

I do agree that pro gives some variability, lets you RR a bonehead or pickup or dodge, etc.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I have always been an advocate of Pro.
Pro - for Bonehead fails
Pro = 1/2 Dodge (-blocking results), 1/2 Sure Hands (-strip ball protection)
Pro = 1/2 Sure Feet, 1/2 Catch, 1/2 Pass

Pro can be very useful in so many ways.
But I think this time on this player I would want Block.

Block is boring and reliable from turn 0/0 to turn 16/16.
But Block may be the single most powerful skill in the game.
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 06:27 Reply with quote Back to top

All I know is that if he'd had block, I wouldn't have won our last game.

It's the best skill in blood bowl, it's really hard to go wrong. Dodge is pretty tempting, but I think the whole 1D/-2D block thing is the deciding factor.

Sure hands is good if you're going to be picking a lot of elves. As an elf player I'll take an ogre game any day, but maybe other elf coaches are scared off?
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 19, 2015 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

footballolb16 wrote:
Grod wrote:

But it's an ogre team so, if necessary, I can just use a team RR (no loner)... Pro is great for players that want to re-roll pushed block dice, etc... But as your ball carrier only a 50% chance to RR something usually means a turnover/disaster.

I do agree that pro gives some variability, lets you RR a bonehead or pickup or dodge, etc.

Ogre teams are always short of rerolls, as there lack of skills mean that you get lots of fail every turn.

Oscar Wilde
 Jump to: