53 coaches online • Server time: 17:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post War Drums?goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Learning BB in YouTu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you get a High Elf thrower who rolls doubles after getting strong arm?
Guard
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Mighty Blow
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Stand Firm
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Piling On
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Block
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Something Else
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
Pie!
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 40

CanvasBack

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 04:42 Reply with quote Back to top

So what would you get this High Elf thrower Rex Princeps Windthrowe on this team Ambrosial Fodder ?

"When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him." R.A. Lafferty
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

well.. he already has accurate... dodge I suppose would be the next best choice...

Abandoning the path of passing and to go for bash seems to be a bit too late to really make sense at this point...

sure hands if he is a secondary passer and doesnt have to hold on to the ball... but dodge would be the more.. stable choice..
seanh1986

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Hard to turn down Guard on an elvish team, but I'm not sure you want your thrower to be the bystander in the action getting hit a bunch... As a guard, you'd really want Block/Dodge/Side step to come as normal rolls, but that's already quite a ways down the road.

I think your best bet is either Block or Sure Hands... I'd be leaning towards Sure Hands because that makes him a better thrower and I'm guessing he doesn't get involved in the blocking too much... But I wouldn't talk you out of Block.

Nothing wrong with Guard as a choice either, but I would just be willing to accept that he'll likely end up dead sooner rather than later in that case Smile.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 05:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Something that protects him.
licker

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

You want to just make him a passer, then ignore the doubles, there's nothing in S you don't already have.
fidius

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 06:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard is actually pretty useful when your cage is cracked and you need to spring him free. I would go Guard. In fact I have gone Guard in your situation. But my record with HE in the Box is horrible. Picking Guard is probably why!
Smeat

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

There's nothing "doubles" that helps his role as ballhandler.

Guard would help him on rare occasions when multi-marked and you need to blitz someone off him, and after he gets rid of the ball (if there's no immediate score), and when he has to go in on defense. So - not often, but "sometimes" - and a Guard is very nice, no doubt. Not sure if that's worth 30k, but maybe, and you don't ~have~ to use him as a Guard every time it's risky (but you might).

(Thick Skull would keep him in the game if you expect him to get hit often - which I hope you don't.)

If you want to optimize his role as Thrower, Dodge. If you don't think you can avoid using him as a Guard all the time, or you don't even want to think of him being in on defense, skip it, get Dodge, call it a skill and some progress. If you can use it with discretion and he doesn't get in trouble often, Guard.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I would always wants to have blodge + sure hands on this guy. That means that if you take something else now he will not complete that until he reaches legend.

That is why I would simply take dodge here and ignore the double.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 07:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Does he actually CARRY the ball for you at all?
Or does he just RETRIEVE IT and PASS it to someone else that carries it?
If he actually carries it Guard is a good skill to have on a Ball Carrier.
It means they can assist the other players when the cage breaks down a bit and they need to break him free of the scrum. He would be 1 sure assist in those instances.
Plus, he would be there on Defense with Guard and Blodge is probably where you go with him from now on I assume.

If you just use him to retrieve and pass... ignore the doubles and do whatever you were going to do.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I would always wants to have blodge + sure hands on this guy. That means that if you take something else now he will not complete that until he reaches legend.

That is why I would simply take dodge here and ignore the double.

Personally, I think a mistake was made with this player by taking Strong Arm and Accurate this early in his development. Having both LATER ON is a good thing. But early on having just 1 of the 2 is enough and helps keep your options open for things like a Thrower with Guard or Mighty Blow. You can always add a 2nd Thrower if the 1st becomes a Guard with a bonus.
Leilond

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Block or sure hands. Probably block, then sure hands, and then dodge. Ignore doubles

Accurate and Strong arm let you long pass (10 squares) at rerollable 2+ and long bomb (13 squares) at rerollable 3+ and that's very precious for a high elf in a lot of situations. I won't regret it
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

So if he had Mb on his first doubles, this would be good news. If he had guard, it would be skipped. Now that he has strong arm... skip or retire.

I generally find strong arm not to be worth it except for TTM players.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, someone voted "Piling On".

Well, it ~is~ in the poll... Rolling Eyes

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Rat_Salat

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Doubles are pretty pointless on elf throwers. You already have GAP access, which was kind of the point when you decided to use a thrower in the first place.

Sure Hands, Dodge, Block, Leader, Kick gets you to superstar. If you really want another passing skill, accurate gives you the best bang for your buck.

Since this player is designed to pick up the ball and toss it half way across the field on a 2+, the answer to your question is "Sure Hands", so he doesn't roll a 1 on the pickup and burn a reroll, or so he can sit in a cage against wood elves (you'll want blodge for this).

There are better ways to build a high elf thrower. That guy had 63 completions in 39 games, he was a real quarterback, not a leader caddy... and did the job just fine without accurate or strong arm. Remember that 3+ passes with pass are 91% and even 4+ ones are 75%. Elf throwers don't need the help, they chuck it just fine right out of the box.

If you really want to turn 3+ passes into 2+ passes, try:

Sure Hands, Accurate, Dodge, Block, Leader (You can swap in sidestep for Leader if you like).

If you want to turn 4+ passes into 2+ passes, I suggest you work on your positioning, rather than burn a double on strong arm.
CanvasBack

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2015 - 18:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to go with block and here's why. I'm pretty convinced that aside from Strong arm, there isn't much in the Strength category for a dedicated passer of any stripe. So, an embarrassment of riches getting that second double.

Why block and not dodge? Because at the TV this team is rolling at, tackle is an issue. Until I can maintain 12+ players, I have to put this guy out there on defense and OCCASSIONALLY he has to block or he gets blocked or blitzed. Usually one of the blitzers or a catcher get targeted. But, if everything goes sideways on D, (as it frequently has for this team)he needs to be protected at least a little and with the highly groomed teams in ranked, I'm usually facing a few guys with tackle.

Why Block and not guard? I don't use this guy as a runner on offense, so there is no cage to be broken into and consequently no counter punch there. A guard without block or dodge is a dead man walking. He would be of some value on defense, but then he would have to be "in the mix" so to speak and that really isn't where I want this guy.

Other skills on the poll... Probably not worth discussing them.

Sure Hands is tempting, even on D, but the lack of protection will get him killed eventually.

I know many people have abandoned the long passing game on the site, but there isn't much that can be done about this guy if he sits in the backfield beyond the range of being blitzed and waits for an opening. It's called the elven stall and folks might want to look into it.

"When you have shot and killed a man you have in some measure clarified your attitude toward him. You have given a definite answer to a definite problem. For better or worse you have acted decisively. In a way, the next move is up to him." R.A. Lafferty
 Jump to: