40 coaches online • Server time: 10:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 11:48
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As a part of the league changes I'm working on, I'm going to need to do some chages to the group pages.

Now, instead of just adding the necessary links, I want to do a bit of a face-lift of the group pages. The current visual style is pretty much awful (in terms of the site part, not the bbcode works of art some people do).

In addition to this, there are a couple of things that are technically not too hard to add (ie, the data model already supports it):

- Group blogs (essentially a news feed for groups)
- Group notes (would replace the need of "support groups" that are there only for the info box)

My initial thought is to make some form of "overview"-like layout with an identification / link banner on top and have a couple of "blocks" of content below. Perhaps with a quickinfo bbcode block, a news(ie blog) block, maybe some score block (if this can be done well enough.. lots of tournaments and types make this hard). It's possible that I'd end up doing a dymanic interface much like the one on the overview page (so group staff could change things around, but "outsiders" wouldn't be able to change their view of it). No promises though as that's a bit of a pain to implement.

Either way, what do you guys think of something like this? Are there things that you'd want to be able to do with your groups that you can't, or is hard to do right now? It'd be good with some form of feedback on things that you'd like to see before I go ahead and implement things you'd never use Smile
Roland

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds awesome!
Roland

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Some way of keeping track of deadline easier. Now I use notes to know which one is next.
Suggestion: some kind of calendar for scheduling.
zakatan wrote:
A calendar would be awesome. Where admins can add tourney deadlines and accessible to all participants.

For players that would mean having all their deadlines from all their tournaments in a single calendar.

2. A) Double Round Robin option, just like regular Round Robin, but each team meet each other twice in a season. (Swedish League came up with it in a workshop).
B) If not possible, make tournament tables fully editable, not just the "Score".

3. Make the sorting of tournament tables editable, i.e. editable tie-breakers, today it's hard coded. I'd like to change it in Swedish League, because we have other tie breakers. Also make it possible to sort by "head to head" (inbördes möte).

4. Group match feed (for the specific league only, not all leagues) in group page. (just like Group blogs/notes you suggest).

5. Some way of "watermarking" (or tagging) matches so it's possible to see which group/lague/tourney it has been played in. This would be useful for admins of exclusive leagues to see inif a team has played outside of the league. It would also be easier for coaches to track in which tournaments/leagues they have been playing from the team page. (I hope this makes sense)

6. Some way of telling if a group is a league, tournament, metagroup or something else...

Last edited by Roland on %b %21, %2015 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 12:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Larger open round robin tournaments with a better display. It would be good if it was easier to see who you have already played and who you have not.

An expand button to see a team's matches maybe?

Roland wrote:
1. Some way of keeping track of deadline easier. Now I use notes to know which one is next.
Suggestion: some kind of calendar for scheduling.
zakatan wrote:
A calendar would be awesome. Where admins can add tourney deadlines and accessible to all participants.

For players that would mean having all their deadlines from all their tournaments in a single calendar.

2. A) Double Round Robin option, just like regular Round Robin, but each team meet each other twice in a season. (Swedish League came up with it in a workshop).
B) If not possible, make tournament tables fully editable, not just the "Score".

3. Make the sorting of tournament tables editable, i.e. editable tie-breakers, today it's hard coded. I'd like to change it in Swedish League, because we have other tie breakers. Also make it possible to sort by "head to head" (inbördes möte).

4. Group match feed (for the specific league only, not all leagues) in group page. (just like Group blogs/notes you suggest).

5. Some way of "watermarking" (or tagging) matches so it's possible to see which group/lague/tourney it has been played in. This would be useful for admins of explusive leagues to see inif a team has played outside of the league. It would also be easier for coaches to track in which tournaments/leagues they have been playing from the team page. (I hope this makes sense)

All good suggestions.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ooh sounds good, other than that pretty much what Roland said.

[quote=Christer]Are there things that you'd want to be able to do with your groups that you can't, or is hard to do right now?[/quote]
Make them bow. Some of them just won't budge.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Group blogs seem like a fun idea. Right now many groups PM their members that "new stuff is available on in the forum thread", but don't actually want to converse back and forth in PMs because it spams everyone's mailbox (which for a large group is a problem). So basically, PMs are great for getting attention but poor for talking (new members need to be back added to the PM for example), but many users end up not making forum posts for some reason. A group blog might work well? I don't know, but it seems like it could be a hot ticket!

Last edited by happygrue on %b %21, %2015 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 13:18
FUMBBL Staff

I think that'd be an awesome addition. Group Blogs replacing endless group PMs would be fantastic.

One thing that is hard currently is finding a good way to arrange games for large open groups. Group PMs are annoying for people not looking for a game, IRC isn't used by many and Gamefinder isn't really appropriate.

If you're looking at group pages and tabs then a 'looking for game' page or something similar, maybe with tickboxes or green lights would be ace. The boxes don't even have to do anything beyond let both players know they're available and looking for a match.

An in-group chat would be fantastic but probably too difficult.

@Koadah: I agree about the larger ORR things but having the group rulesets (the first big thing in the L changes) will negate the need for ORRs entirely so I wouldn't worry about it for now Very Happy
zakatan

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I like specially Suggestion 1 Razz

The other suggestions are good too

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 13:27 Reply with quote Back to top

@Josh: good idea with some kind of in-group gamefinder!
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 13:30 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:

@Koadah: I agree about the larger ORR things but having the group rulesets (the first big thing in the L changes) will negate the need for ORRs entirely so I wouldn't worry about it for now Very Happy

Really? Are you sure?

I haven't heard anything about this.

Do you mean that we would also have automatic group scoring? What happens if two teams are both in another group? Do they choose which ruleset/group the game counts for?

This would all be very cool. I had assumed that rulesets would be attached to leagues/tournaments.

Edit: you would still have the issue of who you have played. Unless the 'gamefinder' handles that for you.

Last edited by koadah on %b %21, %2015 - %13:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Roland wrote:
@Josh: good idea with some kind of in-group gamefinder!

If you were searching across multiple leagues/groups it would be better to see all potential matches on the same gamefinder.

Edit: May as well have a scheduler for each group as well. Don't want people saying that Cyanide are ahead of us. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 13:43
FUMBBL Staff

mister__joshua wrote:
will negate the need for ORRs entirely

This is not the case. Open Round Robin enforces "one match against a specific opponent", which group-wide client settings won't do.

That being said, I'm sure a number of people use ORRs only as a workaround to get specific settings into matches, which is a use-case where the tournament won't be needed at all once the league changes are implemented on the site.
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
mister__joshua wrote:
will negate the need for ORRs entirely

This is not the case. Open Round Robin enforces "one match against a specific opponent", which group-wide client settings won't do.

That being said, I'm sure a number of people use ORRs only as a workaround to get specific settings into matches, which is a use-case where the tournament won't be needed at all once the league changes are implemented on the site.

Cool. So does a group function as an open league or do we get a new 'open league' tournament type? If so could we restrict the number of times that teams could play each other within a season.

What happens in the teams in multiple groups scenario?

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2015 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Great! Thx Christer!

My 2 cents:

1.New Competition formats:

A) Ko tournament double header. Home/away games. Overtime default On.
B) ko tournament series. Best of 3, 5 and so On. Overtime default On.
C) All the others already mentioned.

2.Options,options,options

A) At TEAM/LEAGUE creation, the following may be customised:
TEAM trasuary set by comish
Extra TEAM apo/igor On/off
TEAM Wizzard On/off

B) if possible more options like:
TEAM bribes, máster chef and babes On/off

C) what else? More options like:
STAR PLAYERS can be added to rosters.
LONER removed On/off

3.Prizes