30 coaches online • Server time: 09:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Marasai

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

So I've come to realize I'm really bad at this game. From my many losses I see that although I get the rules I just play really badly. The culmination is the knockout round league game I threw away by deciding to hand off the ball to a player I thought needed the SPP instead of just walking in and winning with my SP hog.

How does one mentally rally? I love this game but it leaves me hating myself.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

identify the silly move

vow never to do it again

end up doing it again anyway

repeat

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Cope with it. It's a dice game, not everything is your fault.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 00:44 Reply with quote Back to top

You're not going to master it by playing 'here' for just one month. The top level here is extremely competitive and of course that filters down. I think you need to accept that this is something that's going to take a long time to master.

I think you also need above average..........not intelligence as such, but nouse maybe.

So, the game needs patience to win, and patience to get better. I think to be healthy for you, you also need to learn to let go a bit. It's a loss, nothing serious like a shirt getting ruined in the wash, so let it go.
Tesifonte

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 00:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever you do, do as Pythrr says.

Halfling sacrifices also help, keep that in mind.

TaChIkOmA! \o/
DeathJester74

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

CLAWPOMB...it will solve everything and bring you the Fumbbl happiness you seek!
zhraia

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Play a thousand games or more against a large pool of coaches, that usually helps. Or five hundred and try to actively learn. Or you can min/max, cherry pick and play cheesy, and it will look like you can play, but in reality you are an empty shell that just presses buttons in the right order *sobs*
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If you care to point out a specific game you feel like you should've done better but don't know how exactly, I can have a look at it and make an assessment.

With your current record and browsing through your games I don't really share your observation that you suck. You're well within what can be expected, perhaps even a little above average. Of course if you want to improve, there are always faster ways than the much suggested try and error.

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %28, %2015 - %01:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

You'll be fine.

What helped me early was finding a race or races that I liked playing and building a backstory for a team. Build a bio, get a logo and create some history and an identity for the team. It will help keep you invested.

Also, trying different races will help. You will end up finding some that suit you for different reasons and results should come. We mostly all start from the bottom. Chin up! You'll get there. You might even consider particular styles like akaRenton's Dirty Cranberries or Rabe's Agility Monsters. Maybe something like that is what you want. Or join a league. Leagues are where it's at.

And I wouldn't say you are really bad going by your record. I started 13/15/72 for instance.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 01:36 Reply with quote Back to top

try the 145 club

https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=2922&op=view

for beginners and learners.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 01:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Marasai is currently in:

Leagues and Tournaments
145 Rookie/Open League
LOL (Lineman Only League)Everybody dies
Necromisers Nightmare
O[L]C - Free For All
happygrue

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It helps to role play "being the coach". Your players fall down, and they fail. You told them where to go, and they just slipped and fell down. You told them to block, and they used their teeth...

When you chat with your opponent, talk about the stupid things your *players* do. Don't whine about dice. Fail a GFI? Talk about how that ball must be heavy, because your ballcarrier can't seem to take that extra step. Two players die in a turn? Talk about having stern words with the team armorer.

Your opponent will appreciate your taking things in stride, and even if you don't win it can (sometimes) still at least be fun. Don't give up too early, some games can end with a tie because this is a CRAZY game and a lot can happen, even if it doesn't seem likely.

On a coaching note, try to save your rerolls. Learn when you can just fail and when you really NEED to use that RR (which might still fail).

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I know this is a tough game. I think recently i've been hitting my head againt the wall with teams i don't get how to do well with.

@happygrue you are totally right on both parts. Adding more rp fun into the game should perk up my attitude win or lose.

@Wreckage thank you for offering to take a look at some of my games. I may take you up on it sometime. My last loss was one very clear error on my part.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 02:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Here you go.

Basically, you got too cocky kid. It could be worse.

Ya gotta look after the ball. if you really desperately wanted that skill up you could at least have caged up around the guy you were handing to to make the recovery a bit more difficult. You have to be thinking "how could Nuffle screw me here?" "What could possibly go wrong?"
Considering that he still had a leaping strip baller on the field, pretty much anything could go wrong.

Don't be so cautious as to be deathly boring. But sometimes you just have to take the points. Especially in a semi final.

Bring on the next one. Mr. Green

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2015 - 02:45 Reply with quote Back to top

On the order of doing things that help you win.

1: Win.
2: Everything else.

You see new coaches taking a couple of good 2d blocks because they've got a RR before the t8 TD. Then they get better and only take good 3d blocks with RR before the t8 TD. You can spot the coaches who've been around longer, on turn 8, they just score, not a die is rolled. You can sit a double-niggle, -av stunty on their B&T POMBer and they just walk it in like a pro.

Be a pro. Stop rolling dice and win. The games you turn it over and go up 2-0, or at least 1-0 and dominating late in the game, them you can mess around and skill newbs. Just not against Elves or anyone else that can 2+, 2+, 2+ and score from the wrong end.