48 coaches online • Server time: 14:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:

I do like your idea of show casing the 145 clubs teams on Game finder. This can be personally rectified by simply having 145 at the start of a team name, in the same way secret league has SL at the beginning.

There are teams knocking around that are prefixed with [145] that have not had anything to do with 145 Club for years. Wink
When you want to change a prefix you need to ask an admin to change it.

If teams are not in the same league the game cannot be played and admins need to unschedule it.

Functionality is coming to allow teams to move to different leagues (rulesets?). Displaying league/ruleset would make things clearer.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

kummo wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:

This can be personally rectified by simply having 145 at the start of a team name, in the same way secret league has SL at the beginning.

I see you alot in forums but rarely i agree with what you say or then i just ignore you. But this. This is an actual good idea from you.

Gratz Smile

Well then you caught me on a sober day. I rarely post things that are meant to be serious, so I understand where you are coming from. Smile

mrt1212 wrote:
I hear ya keggie but...

you get snotty PMs absent a chatbox in gamefinder right now. How is saving you the trouble of that while also providing something that could be used in a positive fashion for better negotiations be worse than the status quo? More work for Admins? It's kind of silly that the one venue where more communication and ability to qualify the wants of opponents could be beneficial has no apparatus in place to support that.

Well back in the day, people would send out messages asking for games. If you didn't want to play this person, you say no thank you. Then they would ask why. I always felt obligated to tell them why, and it was a bit controversial. Now a days, if some one wants o ask why, they have to go through various steps, to pm a person. The anonymity is something that should respected. We tease people now in Box for activating only one team, I imagine the game finder being much worse. At least with Box, in the most part, you know of what you are getting into. On Ranked, you can pick and choose without any recourse. Having a chat, opens it up to everyone to critique your choices. Mind you that may be better, because it als outs people for cherry picking. In my mind it becomes kindergarten like.

Jeffro
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:15 Reply with quote Back to top

You're only looking at negative potential Keggie based on you not wanting to hurt fee fees. Everyone walking on egg shells to avoid the elephant in the room while simultaneously inhibiting quick and concise communication isn't my idea of an optimum solution.

The other problem is a lot of people don't check their PMs and there's no tieback to emails so some people aren't even aware of them when they get them.

Also, if people need help in acting like adults and not internalizing what being rejected on gamefinder means, I am more than willing to lend a hand.

Last edited by mrt1212 on Sep 09, 2016 - 20:21; edited 1 time in total
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, but you miss out on lots of opportunities without a chat window. As-is, GF is very user unfriendly, as much as I appreciate the fact that it even exists in the first place.

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I remember I had been a member about three months and was enjoying it, but not sure how long I would have stuck around for. Then, by chance, I stumbled across a tournament game on gamefinder and from there found the tournaments page. It was like a whole new world opened up. Could it be flagged up on the homepage a bit more as an option as there are lots of people out there like me who like a bit of friendly competition?
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 23:02 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
You're only looking at negative potential Keggie based on you not wanting to hurt fee fees. Everyone walking on egg shells to avoid the elephant in the room while simultaneously inhibiting quick and concise communication isn't my idea of an optimum solution.

Fair enough. I remember the old ways of getting games and it was changed for reasons like you explained, but in a negative way.

mrt1212 wrote:

The other problem is a lot of people don't check their PMs and there's no tieback to emails so some people aren't even aware of them when they get them.

Also, if people need help in acting like adults and not internalizing what being rejected on gamefinder means, I am more than willing to lend a hand.

I disagree that all people will act like adults.

Jeffro
licker

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh, the pining for the good old days, which were actually neither.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2016 - 23:26 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:

mrt1212 wrote:

Then I'll 'correct' them.
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2016 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:

mrt1212 wrote:

Then I'll 'correct' them.

Sherriff Mrt1212!

Jeffro
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2016 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Regulators...mount up!
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2016 - 01:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Oh God, it's all so cyclical.

For the record I started when Christer had to hand crank the server for every game. Played my first game ever in R, and learned the hard way. then you had to work out to manually upload results, and it was a massive shark pool. Many still learn this way, and I have recently met several VERY promising new players with <30 games played, I advised them toward the 145, but they didnt really need it and the two i specifically recall plan to just play and learn.

Mostly I am with PG. Some will stay, most wont. Twas ever thus.

We have this thread every summer it seems.

We had an academy.

We rewrote the help pages.

We sent an introductory letter.

We have had personal tutoring.

The academy died as new coaches didnt want to game there and then abandon those teams. Also some of the experiences coaches built killer teams there to 'teach them the real' fumbbl. It just didnt get the traffic.

the help pages are ace, but i still say they need splitting into HELP (i click help for problems with a site) and Advice/Training. No matter how good they are, do people think 'before i start a new team let me go check help for the knowledge of others and to mull their suggested rosters and tactics first? hopefully yes, but not new players. I think this is a learned behavior.

I am not sure what happened to the letter, but i remember it being drafted, and argued over at length.

Mentoring probably produces the best results. But it is massively time intensive, i have done it for 1-2 people a year, most years. and thats still a huge commitment.

None of these are bad ideas, all will help. But Don't kid yourself. You might drop 80% churn rate to 70%. just dont expect miracles.

I said at the time that the death of IRC was needed, and convenient, and modern, but was a huge threat to FUMBBL. To the fabric of the community. It was the hub we now lack. a place where people chatted, offered advice, said hello, even just lurked and found their confidence.

I think the biggest positive for FUMBBL would be some form of lobby. A chat space. Possibly linked to gamefinder.

But even then, BB is a dead game. until GW revive it, expect a falling fan base. Cyanide has FUMBBL outgunned in many ways, especially for the younger, casual gamer. Do not expect miracles.

Yet nor it is Ragnarok.
https://fumbbl.com/p/stats

FUMBBL slows for summer. Always has.

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2016 - 04:22 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:

FUMBBL slows for summer. Always has.

That's because football season starts in the fall... always gets my Blood Bowl juices flowing.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Sep 10, 2016 - 05:28 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
keggiemckill wrote:

I do like your idea of show casing the 145 clubs teams on Game finder. This can be personally rectified by simply having 145 at the start of a team name, in the same way secret league has SL at the beginning.

There are teams knocking around that are prefixed with [145] that have not had anything to do with 145 Club for years. Wink
When you want to change a prefix you need to ask an admin to change it.

If teams are not in the same league the game cannot be played and admins need to unschedule it.

Functionality is coming to allow teams to move to different leagues (rulesets?). Displaying league/ruleset would make things clearer.

wouldn't it be easiest to change the team logos accordingly to their division? l