41 coaches online • Server time: 13:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 04:41 Reply with quote Back to top

As a new coach of an Ogre Team I have come to realize my team sucks and I suck at coaching them. I have also noticed the advice on Ogre teams is decidedly absent from the sticky in the Tactics & Strategy section.

How do you set up with them on Offense and Defense? How do you move the ball down the field? How do you stop the ball? Should you even bother with the ball?

How do you train them? If they aren't gifted (+AG, +ST, +MA Doubles, etc.)? How would you go about training them if they were gifted? Which skills and in which order?

Any tips, tricks, tall tales or tell-all's would be appreciated. Perhaps this thread could even be attached to the sticky were the Ogres section should be.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 04:47 Reply with quote Back to top

While its not a winning move, Piling on all Ogres at least allows you the satisfaction of blasting your opponent every time they score. Oh, and getting skills.

Last edited by mrt1212 on Jun 01, 2016 - 05:12; edited 1 time in total
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Break Tackle all Ogres.
Seriously, the mobility it gives you is amazing.

Top 3 normal skill rolls are Guard, Stand Firm, Break Tackle.
Grab has some utility on one Ogre.
Piling on 2 or 3

Doubles open new approaches, so do stats.

Diving tackle or sneaky git on snots, fire at 16spp if no doubles.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
While its not a winning move, Piling on all Ogres at least allows you the satisfaction of blasting your opponent every time they score.

Hehe... there is that.

I have often seen the ball getting away and realized all I had left to play for was that I might score a CAS and try to survive the game.

So... I am assuming Guard Spam is 1 key. BUT... then I see that bunching up means my Snots go SPLATT and the ball goes away from me. Not that I am worried about the Snots... they are on their own mainly. But Guard does help them hide from predators in lots of armor.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
While its not a winning move, Piling on all Ogres at least allows you the satisfaction of blasting your opponent every time they score.

Hehe... there is that.

I have often seen the ball getting away and realized all I had left to play for was that I might score a CAS and try to survive the game.

So... I am assuming Guard Spam is 1 key. BUT... then I see that bunching up means my Snots go SPLATT and the ball goes away from me. Not that I am worried about the Snots... they are on their own mainly. But Guard does help them hide from predators in lots of armor.

Guard not only helps the snots, it helps the other ogres from not getting picked off by high ST/Guard teams as well as set up blocks you might not otherwise get. The thing that really throws everything to crap though is the blitz bonehead fails where your guard ogre is now naked against to whatever baddie plus his bestie.

I need more guard.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 06:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is an existing Ogre tactics thread from 2013. I recommend that is stickied for the missing Ogres advice section. A lot of what you could hope for is there. No sure fire strategies or much on defence and offence starting setup. Hale has some good comments on page 1. I had a long post on page 2. At that time I didn't ttm much but as I developed an ag4 snotling I used it a lot more. Otherwise it is fun to drive with an ogre carrier. Though that is one less Ogre to put on a cage corner and your carrier can bonehead. Bonehead on its own loses games. Snots with s1 and titchy make awful corners.
Block is of course crucial if you can get it. Ideally one Ogre with tackle too. Break tackle is great for the normal rolls, and some piling on and Guard. Juggernaut is fine for one Ogre that doesn't double for a couple of skills when your team lacks block.
A snotling fouler or two is worthwhile along with diving tacklers and a TTM subject. Though skills on snotlings are way overpriced. I still had 4 statup snotlings at one time but it for sure didn't help win rate. Low TV is generally where you have a chance.
https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=23463&highlight=ogre+tactics

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 15:46 Reply with quote Back to top

My tactic against low AV teams.

Surround ball with ogres. Pile on opposing players. Foul with snotlings. Hopefully remove at least one player from the pitch each turn. around turn 6 think about either running the ball with a snotling or wait till turn 7 and TTM with the ball. End 1st half 1-0 if you're lucky. 2nd half, opponent should start with about half his team and three of them will be on LoS with your ogres. Drive forward as quick as possible to pressure the ball. If you can steal it with a snotling you may get a second TD if you're lucky. Pray for no 1s.

Against higher AV teams it is much more difficult. You might have to come up with some tactics which aren't smashing the opponent into the ground. Ogres are not good at anything which isn't smashing their opponents into the ground.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

play LRB4 ogres and enjoy the feeling

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Might as well give you my 2¢ worth. I'll keep it brief as a lot of ogre strategy comes from just playing lots of games with them to find your style and what you're willing to risk.

1. Starting build - if you're risk averse, I'd suggest 5 ogre, 2 rerolls. Slightly more willing to go on the dice - 6 ogres and apoth.

2. Rerolls - 70k is a crazy tv sink. If you're not willing to run with 0 then I'd take 2, 3 if you really want to, but I like leader as first double on a snot. I only reroll failed blocks on ball carriers or essentials plays involving your own ball carrier. Anything else should be left to fail tbh. Av9 and thick skull are quite forgiving. I'm also not a fan of choosing both down over a push as I think you really need your big guys to be standing

3. Skills - there's a few different combos for starting skills but ogres all tend to look quite similar after 3 or 4 skills (apart from a sprinkling of doubles).
a) Guard first to maximise ogres main advantage, their strength.
b) Piling on first to try and thin the opposing numbers.
These are the only skills I'd recommend spamming for first skill choice. A sprinkling of break tackle is great but not essential on every player.

Later I like to give my guard players stand firm (and then grab combos well with that as either road block players or as very useful cage corners).

Skills I avoid: Multi Block, Strong Arm, Juggernaut (might take this once).
Strong Arm looks great for a TTM thrower but in reality you're likely to roll +ag eventually on an ogre and strong arm has no real use aside from TTM or a desperate pass. You're better taking a different skill and using a reroll for the risky play.
Multi Block could be great on a +st ogre (I'm considering it for this guy for example). But in reality I think break tackle is more useful on a +st ogre.

Snotlings - lot of love for diving tackle. Aside from that, you're looking at a hefty tv increase for not much use. Building a TTM snot with catch, sure feet, sprint is useful too. Doubles - dirty player, leader. Sure hands (if you carry with snotling) is a personal fave

4. Set up. I always like to kick in the first half. This means you get to focus on thinning the opposing numbers and can dedicate everyone to it as you don't have to worry about ball security. My current fave kicking setup is 4 ogres on the front LOS (none in the sideline), in alternating squares. Then the other two ogres go 3 square behind the two side ogres

....O.O.O.O.... <-LOS
.....sssss.....
....O.....O....

this leaves a nice little box that you can sit your snotlings in (O=ogres, S=snots). This denys your opponent any tasty blocks turn 1 (especially if LOS ogres have guard and/or stand firm) and means you don't want to spend first turn just moving forward.

5. Playstyle. Against st3 teams I like to force them to dodge away so try and make sure every opposing player is tied up with an ogre and they can't make any 2 dice blocks. This is where guard and stand firm really help. And try and keep the snotlings in the way but in a position where they have to be blitzed, not blocked. It also helps to think before activating every ogre "what would happen if they went bonehead". Maximising blocks is great and is something you should do as much as possible, but sometimes when you're receiving you may not want to activate every ogre.

Ogres aren't a bad team. But they usually will lose the game rather than your opponent winning it. Hope that makes sense. But if you get a good run of dice anything is possible.

Post   Posted: Jun 01, 2016 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

Guard not only helps the snots, it helps the other ogres from not getting picked off by high ST/Guard teams as well as set up blocks you might not otherwise get. The thing that really throws everything to crap though is the blitz bonehead fails where your guard ogre is now naked against to whatever baddie plus his bestie.

I need more guard.

Moreover, Guard spam allows to get more easily 3d blocks, way more reliable than 2d blocks and this helps a lot because Ogres generally lack Block.
 Jump to: