67 coaches online • Server time: 21:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Chaos Draft League R...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What is best way to chat to an opponent on wrong side of dice?
Mention their bad dice as the reason for the current state of the match.
34%
 34%  [ 34 ]
Stay silent in subject of dice. Make minimal messages.
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Try to be funny: e.g. “come on, lets see if you can top those quad skulls on your next turn... ”
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
Start fouling their best players to give them something different to think about.
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
Something else entirely (reply below).
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Offer your opponent some Pie
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 98

Grod

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

How do you handle those awkward games where your opponent is clearly unhappy.
He/she is losing badly and suffering some poor dice. You want them to feel better about the match. What should you say or do while avoiding being patronising, condescending, annoying or rude?

Oscar Wilde
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 02:04
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

You forgot Pie
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

PIIIIIIIIIIIE!

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 02:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Too late for yummy pie now, unless an admin can out it in.

Oscar Wilde
thoralf

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Fluff all menz.
Uedder

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Everyone is different and takes things differently.

I sometimes whine myself when i get diced, and there the best reaction to me, is when my opponent acknowledges that and shows sympathy.

So that's what I do.

I give some short sympathetic messages like "Aw man, that's unlucky!" or something along those lines. Then everything depends on the reaction i get.

I don't try to be smart or funny unless the atmosphere goes that way. Trying to do that may be percieved as trolling imo.

I do not make smileys either for the same reason.

Getting diced can be very frustrating and there's no saying how people will react in those circumstances. Some will shrug it off, others will laugh others will complain or get angry.
Best you can do, i think, is offer them a pat on the shoulder.
It's just a game anyway.
Beanchilla

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 05:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with Uedder. If the opponent makes a joke about things then I feel it's safe to goof around but for the most part I just acknowledge the bad dice. We've all been there and being sympathetic to bad luck is a great way to make the game more enjoyable for the opponent while you can reap the benefit of having, hopefully, better dice.

Here's a great resource for all sorts of Fumbbl images!
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

keep going. Eventually the rng gives you a good turn. If that's the turn you sack the ballcarrier you might pull an upset.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 06:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I never make jokes. I generally choose option one, if the opponent is silent I will assume he wants me to stfu and get on with the game, so I will stop. But usually acknowledging things makes it better.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

The will of Nuffle is ineffable and incomprehensible, We can but stand strong in our devotion and play for his glory.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Always #1, just as Uedder said.

I've recently had to give up my expectation of the same in return as it was driving me mad that luckers couldn't acknowledge their own fortune. Turns out, as soon as I let it go, my game improved. This won't surprise anyone who has played this game successfully to any degree.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 08:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Uedder wrote:
Everyone is different and takes things differently.

This.
Personally I'd like if people just emphatically joked about it but I think with the greatest number of people the right approach will be to indeed just acknowledge the reality of the dicing.

Several things I don't like about this is:
Whether you have good dice or not can be measured objectively. That is a matter of reviewing and assessing the results correctly.
What on the other hand is somewhat subjective tho, is what I think about it, what my opponent thinks about it, what terminology is attached to what type of event and so on. It all can be a bit of a matter of semantics and what you consider improbable, relevant, where you set your margin of error and other aspects that are rather out there.
It can't be really seriously discussed unless you discuss something more specific like: 'That third quad skill in a row is kinda unusual to happen like this. It's a bit troublesome this interferes with the game so much.' rather than 'Oh man, nuffle is having a field day with you.'
So that's why I think joking about it is better. It's not a super serious topic.

If I feel like I'm playing against a very good coach I'll be more open and sometimes just joke about it acknowledging that my opponent might understand. (They do on a certain level and most of them don't whine either.)

With most people this should be absolutely avoided since they do not understand, think luck is something suuuper relevant and perceive it as elitary or even patronizing when you're joking around over their misfortune. I think joking over somebodies player loss is in somewhat bad taste because it can be a very emotional thing, but jeez if you drop the ball or whatever, this happens to my opponents almost every game... To enjoy BB you have to be somewhat of a masochist, you can't be like super sensitive all the time.

Really I have probably done all the poll options plenty of times. Usually I just don't talk about it to avoid any tension. But sometimes when I feel my opponent really is very very unlucky I might just point that out. Just when he pushes me to respond and I wasn't paying any attention to his situation I'll probably still end up responding with a sarcastic remark. Because well, if it was really that bad I probably would've noticed, right?
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I try to note and celebrate good dice and poor ones, on both teams, in a non-agressive fashion.

A good foul is a good foul, it's a great way for a superstar to go. A player that makes a 4+, 4+, 3+, 1d pow, they're having a great game, good on them. Some killer quad skulls on a rookie, what a slap in the face, what a wakeup call, whole team is shocked. GFI snakes in the end zone, that's what happens when you go showboating. AG 5 died on a failed dodge, that's a badge!

Also, badges, if you aren't earning one, the dice probably aren't really all that bad or good. I've got a few on teams, but those are special games.

Mostly, I'm trying to make myself more objective about the dice, and have some fun along the way.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

It all depends on the people involved. Extrem case:
- My opponent was whining
- I acknowledged his bad dice
- My opponent took it out of context, and was fired up about my comment
In such case i may put oil onto the fire

Another extreme case
- We started to talk about something totally different and had some fun doing so.

Another extreme case
- We started to ridicule those suckers (players) that cant dodge/block/foul, etc.
- Then went to full sergeant mode and were shouting at players before actions, especially before those players action that did some mistake previously. like: CAN YOU DO THIS SIMPLE BLOCK THIS TIME??!

So it all depends what works, how is it interpreted.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2016 - 09:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Nuffle only responds to bad poetry.

Jeffro
 Jump to: