35 coaches online • Server time: 18:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Again with the doubles!?
Pro
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
Shadowing
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Sidestep
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Treat as a normal roll
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Pie
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

Sinnyil

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

So The Rock just scored his 6th touchdown, putting him at the Super Star mark. Since he is who he is, he once again rolled doubles. Nothing fancy this time (not double 5 or 6), so I present to you again, this poll. Mostly copy and pasted from the last one:

You may all remember Rocksteady VI, the prize of the Necromiser's Nightmare VI (2015). A proud member now of Biter Squad. I haven't played nearly as much since that tournament, and just now got his fifth skill.

The Rock came with block and tentacles when I got him. Then his first skill (third total) on the Squad was doubles, so obviously tackle. His fourth skill was presented to a poll on the forums after it also came up doubles...after that poll, and some Goldschalger, his fourth skill became dodge. Apparently with his new lease on life, doubles is what he wants to roll, so currently his Fifth! skill (currently pending) is also a double roll, and I'm completely flabbergasted at what to do with that.

Pro? Shadowing or Sidestep for a really annoying piece? Ignore it and get claw, stand firm, or guard, like I was planning originally?

What do?

(Probably Pro)
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 07:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro
Sinnyil

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it'll probably be pro and I sort of feel like I'm just bragging at this point =\
paradocks

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably pro. Multiblock can be interesting too when wanting to deactivate his frenzy
m0gw41

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty Player. Because rolling that many doubles is just filthy.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Now, just because he used to be mine doesn't give me any more right to pick his skill than anyone else... but: I absolutely forbid Pro.

Fend, DT, JU, SS, even Pass for TTM, are all better options.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Definitely not fend or DT. With tentacles I *want* things next to him. Not JU because I just don't see his last skill being PO. So he'll never get PO or Claw at this point. He's not a killer, he's a roadblock. The team is already full of killers anyway.

Given that he has one skill left after this, that skill will probably be stand firm. While I have thrown one teammate once with him, the majority of the time any TTM will be done with the Lord, so I don't see any of the passing skills really being worthwhile. The original plan before this was a doubles roll was to have the last two skills be guard and stand firm. Now I'm pretty sure I'm eschewing guard (or maybe SF, I haven't 100% decided), and almost certainly taking pro. I have pro on a lot of my ghouls and it serves me very well. Strigs eat up rerolls like candy, so changing gambling one of my precious rerolls on loner rolls to just gambling with pro is an excellent use of a double, in my opinion. Why do you forbid it?
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, to paraphrase Jim Jeffries: Pro has a 50% fail rate. If I sold anything with a 50% failure rate, no-one would buy it. Would you buy a parachute if someone said "Eh, it's a 50/50 chance"? It's just a bad skill.

Fend isn't to avoid having things next to him, it's to avoid getting POed by bigger badder things/help with positioning. And DT doesn't stop him having anyone next to him. Just the opposite in fact: it makes it even harder for them to get away.

Last edited by xnoelx on Feb 24, 2017 - 14:24; edited 1 time in total
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw.

xnoelx wrote:
Well, to paraphrase Jim Jeffries: Pro has a 50% fail rate. If I sold anything with a 50% failure rate, no-one would buy it. Would you buy a parachute if someone said "Eh, it's a 50/50 chance"? It's just a bad skill.

If the failure is not critical, like Blood Lust, Hypnotic Gaze or rerolling a 2 dice block, Pro is not so bad.
For Vampires Pro is not a bad skill.

Last edited by MattDakka on Feb 24, 2017 - 14:29; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 14:28 Reply with quote Back to top

That's kind of the point though. If it is critical, use a team reroll. If it isn't, you don't need Pro, so get a better skill instead.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:
That's kind of the point though. If it is critical, use a team reroll. If it isn't, you don't need Pro, so get a better skill instead.

Nice, then, consider this: you are leaping with a Slann Linefrog trying to sack an opponent ball carrier: you fail the leap roll, and use a team reroll, manage to leap, then you roll a skull for the 1 d block on the ball.
If you have Pro you can try to reroll the block, without Pro you can't because you have already used your reroll for the turn.
In this scenario Pro is not a bad skill either.
Anyway, I suggested Claw, so I'm not endorsing Pro for the Chaos Spawn.

Last edited by MattDakka on Feb 24, 2017 - 14:34; edited 1 time in total
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Fine. He can take Pro, but only after Leap.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

xnoelx wrote:

This is kinda nonsense. Being that he is a Loner, pro is actually better than a TRR... Same odds, can use every turn and it doesn't take a TRR from his teammates.

It is great to reduce the WA fails by 40%, and then try and RR some other stuff if needed, such as triple push blocks. And for critical failures you're better off using pro anyway so you're not wasting TRR.

I'd definitely go pro, although i see merit in options like guard, claw or SF.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 15:24 Reply with quote Back to top

OK. Pro is slightly better than Loner. But guess what? I would never choose to give Loner to a player either.

It's a difference in approach. You want Pro to reduce the chance of WA, etc. I want a skill that gives him a new ability or adds to his use, rather than mitigating his failures.

Your spawn fails WA, you use Pro. 50% of the time that works.

Mine fails WA, but has DT instead of Pro, which still works. Always.

And yes, I realise there's a chance my DT won't be in the right place because I failed WA. But your DT will never be in the right place, because you don't have one.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2017 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think I'd ever take DT on a wild animal with tentacles and mutation access. Why put your own guy on the ground basically making you use your blitz to get him back up when you can just take prehensile tail, if making dodges harder is your goal? You're basically taking a skill that makes everything about what that piece is doing more difficult, possibly taking tentacles out of contention for multiple turns, even if you waste your blitz trying to stand him back up there's still the chance he will go wild and stay down. This coupled with his low move means your tentacles (and for this team, only possible tentacles) could be in the wrong place for the rest of the half. Plus there's already a ton of DT on the team.

Fend... I'm not terribly worried about something big enough to hit him, that already has block, tackle, claw, and piling on. The only times that would even be a semi-plausible issue is against other strigoyan teams. Maybe skyre if I position poorly or the match has already gone pear-shaped. Taking a skill that I might use one game out of a dozen didn't strike me as a good option, which is why it wasn't listed.

Pro, on the other hand, gives me the option of basically another reroll each turn just for him. The luxury of actually rerolling his block dice if they're unfavorable, and frees up the teams rerolls for the bloodsuckers who chew through them like candy every match. With five(!) bloodlust pieces currently, only two of which have pro (due to stat ups and going a different direction with my current Lord), taking that pressure off my RRs is huge.

Yeah I've basically talked myself into Pro at this point.

Last edited by Sinnyil on Feb 24, 2017 - 16:08; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: