62 coaches online • Server time: 21:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
D_Arquebus

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2017 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Seconded!

Love your work Karnov! Thanks mate! Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2017 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

From the desk of the Commissioner…

Sometimes in life, hard decisions must be made. Long ago in the times before the Great War, one such decision was made by those steering the mighty ship that is the Southern Wastes League. They made their choice, chose a direction, and kept SWL on an even keel for the future.

Now, 30 seasons later, the time for decisions is upon us once again…

SWL Administration would like to announce that Season 70 will be the last under the current hybrid ruleset.

There are many reasons for this, but principal among them is the need to move away from the current rules situation and towards fully embracing the BB2016 ruleset. The SWL admin team has kept a close eye on the impact of the staggered implementation of BB16 on FUMBBL and SWL, and have ultimately decided that resetting the league under the new rules is the best choice moving forward.

What does this mean for You?
Season 71 will be the first under BB16 rules. There will be a league-wide redraft for all coaches prior to this.
This is a big step, and not one we have taken lightly. Over the course of 70 seasons, SWL has striven to align as closely as possible to the Official Rules; this is but another step along that path.
While it may be a shame to put some long-serving teams to pasture, we hope that coaches will embrace the opportunity to level the playing field and create new legends, grudges and legacies.

When will this happen?
Due to some uncertainty over full FUMBBL implementation, there will be a change in our regular schedule for 2018. We are planning on final Hurrah for the existing teams to see out the CRP era. This will be announced in the near future.

A message from our sponsors…

The SWL admin team has been searching for a solution to allow for full introduction of the BB16 ruleset for some time now. Happily, Christer has recently taken time out of his busy schedule to expedite implementation of these rules for the League division, allowing SWL to make a shift.

How can we repay this generosity? By supplying some of our own and donating to FUMBBL (which can now be done via direct donation and/or Patreon subscription) to support this great platform for our community and hobby.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2017 - 13:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh ho ho ho!

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2017 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Like that the league is embracing the new rules.
Hate that there is a league wide redraft. Can't you just make existing teams abide by the buyback rules?

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2017 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think they can because the group (Group #647) is currently set as a "Meta Group" in the League division, which defaults to ruleset #6 (https://fumbbl.com/p/ruleset?id=6).

With custom leagues, they need to change the settings from "Meta Group" to "League", which will allow them to pick a custom ruleset which they can manage themselves. From there they can set Spiraling or/and Expensive Mistakes to whatever levels they want, allow/disallow skills, and choose how skills work, and create custom rosters. For example Ruleset 10 (https://fumbbl.com/p/ruleset?id=10), is a ruleset that Tomay is managing. You will notice all the options and that the Simyin race is not available for selection.

The problem (I think, and I'm sure people that know more than I will correct me if I'm wrong) is that teams remember which ruleset they were created and locks them to that ruleset, with teams cunable to play outside it. So when the SWL moves to ruleset 10 (or whatever ruleset it moves to) then the teams will only be able to play other teams that were created in releset 10.

There are some ramifications for this I can see.
-It will mean that for Trial of Blood, existing teams under ruleset 6 will not be able to trial anymore. People will need to create new teams in the ruleset for this purpose.
-The same goes for filler teams.
-Once "new" teams retire, they will not be able to play in the fringe. The will have their own fringe. We'll possibly see 2 groups, like a Classic Fringe, and a Modern Fringe.
-This will probably be the last URN.
-SWL players will be excluded from the site's "Top Lists"

So does this mean that all my fringe teams are dying as well? Assuming I'm right, yes and no. It will mean they likely won't be part of any SWL side tournaments, but there's no reason that they can't play by themselves, or in existing League tournaments like "[L] FUMBBL Cup" or in Metagroup Sprints like "ELF". If there's interest, then I'm more than happy to run a Legacy League with old SWL teams - it will give a chance to play Disco Dan again!!!

That said I could be completely wrong Smile

Regardless though, I'm really looking forward to the new rules to come in, and can't wait for more information to be released.

Post   Posted: Nov 25, 2017 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

This is very exciting.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone know the dates for next season?

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 02:10 Reply with quote Back to top

@Foad & @D_Arquebus - no worries guys - glad you like Smile

Looking forward to returning for the reboot *thumbs-up*

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 04:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mind the changeover but I think the timing and lack of forewarning absolutely stinks. I believe that a notice of at least one season that things will be changing is important to keep the coaches of the league aware and on board because right now I for one am certainly not in agreement.

I've been saying for a year and a half that my goal has been to reach 500 SWL games with the skinks and you're cutting them off 6 games short without even a prior notice. Just so long fellas, been great having you. That might be selfish of me and not looking at the best interest of the league but that's how I personally feel anyway. For the rest of the league, all the conference teams that have been competing to get to Premier this season or premier and conference teams trying to avoid relegation. Why? Feels like a large part of the season just became absolutely meaningless.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 05:36
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

OK, here's a compromise. Run both.

With so little info, there is much speculation.
I feel the likely plan for S71 is similar to S40. i.e. no Prem, plenty of conferences. S71 would exist on a new SWL group page using custom ruleset.

So the ramchop compromise:

S71 runs in both this new custom rules SWL group page, and the old standard League SWL group.

Top down:

Prem 71. In the old SWL group.

Conf 71. In the old SWL group

Reggies 71. In the new custom rules SWL group.

Advantages.
- There is a S71 Prem champion
- Legacy teams get one last shot to knock off some awesome milestones. Skink 500, Wongas 200, PSA 150, Clark 100. Alltime fouling record.
- All Sorts may still get that meaningful play off and a first visit to Prem
- We still get to enjoy Daudy complaining about being demoted to conf from 4th place
- Teams that choose to embrace the new get a slight advantage of less competition in the draft for their chosen team.

Problems.
- Numbers in S71 conf are unlikely to be divisible by 8 (they need to be). As now, coaches can not run teams both in Reggies and the higher divs. We may even struggle to get 8 players for Conf.
- Competition in S72 is not the best of the best as some of the best coaches will be doing their redraft one season later.
- I might be completely wrong. Maybe Christer will simply transfer the current group page to custom ruleset. i.e. there may not be an old group page to run S71 Prem&Conf in.

Last edited by ramchop on Nov 26, 2017 - 10:16; edited 1 time in total
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The only way really to make a prize out of it all is your finish order for s70 is your draft order? With those teams that would have promoted follwoing immediately after the remainders?

So theres no way to pull a Faulcon CRP style sack and rebuy? Thats not an option? Cause im sitting on 990K and love my Horrors but Faulcon is on 1.5 million banked so could do a rebuy ?

Id love to see the Skinks make their 500 games guys thats like got to be some sort of major achievement surely is there any league team anywhere that has made 500 games of league play? 1 season short? Thats like the skipper declaring when one of his batsmen is on 199 runs. Come on guys can we find a way please

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 07:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Now i might need to go and actually buy BB2016 and death zone season 2.

Poop, I just spent all my monies on Necromunda2017...

If you're interested join the Fringe
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 07:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Ramchop's idea is a good one. People can have a choice whether they want to re-draft now (get a season foot up on the big boyz), or try knock of some milestones. It might be 50-50. In which case it might look something like this: Prem (Old Rules) 2 Conferences (Old Rules) 2-3 Reggies (New Rules). After that some new coaches might get a taste of the prem (new Rules) while the big boys re-draft (new Rules). Then things will balance out and balance will be restored in Southern Wastes.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't even particularly mind the whole redraft thing (though I agree it's seriously twisted denying Faulc with no notice given he has been declaring for yonks he'd redraft anyway after 500). The last hurrah has obviously been left open ended specifically to maybe adress any blowback, so that could still happen. Obviously a calculated move not announcing just yet, for good reason.

I just pray seasons as written in the new rules are not implemented, although with this whole 'stick as close to the rules' mentality I am not hopeful. I absolutely despise this whole new seasons buy back rule.

If people want to go play low-mid tv being reset continuously, there are so many other existing options including resurrection (like literally every comp ever). Bland, zero personality, recycled. There will be even less personality in terms of players because even if you want to, you may not be able to keep them. There is absolutely nothing legendary about teams at 1500ktv with 0 personality beating up other 1500ktv teams. It also disproportionally affects a massive amount of races and naturally encourages min-maxing just to stay competitive with the few races that are much better out of the box.

Furthermore, more games as friendlies or longer seasons don't seem like feasible options either as seasons are already 8 weeks + breaks. Remembering this seasonal reset was a thing really ruined any excitement I had about the transition, so hopefully there is a good solution or it's not used at all.

Post   Posted: Nov 26, 2017 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
Top down:

Prem 71. In the old SWL group.

Conf 71. In the old SWL group

Reggies 71. In the new custom rules SWL group.

What if we want to play in both?

I like the idea of a fresh start the BB16 ruleset if largely focused on budgeted team building, which calls for tough decisions & CRP is the land of legends roaming free. Both great rulesets, but they are almost completely different games.

It suck horribly to be told I can't draft because I'm in Prem, I mean who turns Prem down? Maybe I do, it'd a tough choice but if people do to get the extra season of BB16, then the remaining legacy teams that reach goals, do so in a Mickey Mouse Cup situation.

And what about SWL 72? The Glee Club want 100 games too. It's just the nature of pulling the plug, someone is always going to miss out.

We have SWL, DIBBL, Waikika, SSL, CBBA, Stunty League, Secret League, Box and Ranked tournaments... There's plenty of BB for everyone.

I fail to see why we can't play with old fat teams full of legends *and* embrace BB16.

That way the achievements will be against real competitive teams and still mean something.

And it's a new year, it's the perfect time for a fresh start. Another season as is and reggies and conference will be playing for nothing.

Jump to: