41 coaches online • Server time: 17:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Best Rob Reiner films?
Stand By Me
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Princess Bride
53%
 53%  [ 35 ]
Misery
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
This is Spinal Tap
18%
 18%  [ 12 ]
A Few Good Men
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
When Harry Met Sallly
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 65

Garion

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2019 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Lord_Bromhidrosis wrote:
Dominik wrote:

Lets assume the majority will play on 1920*1080 displays and in future many more will even play on 4k displays.

By chance, on Tuesday I tried to run it on my interactive whiteboard in school. The client took up a tiny little corner of the display.

I support what Dominik says!

even using a 4k display each square on the pitch will only be around about this size a tiny bit bigger but pretty much this size -

the pixels look pretty horrible at this size, but for sure it could still be an option, just like we have abstract icons now. But as you can see, with squares this big as the maximum we cannot have too much detail.

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2019 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

You also need to remember that the players need to fit in small squares. Which really rules out realistic art work, because you need to make the icons square ish

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2019 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure how far we should move away from 'cartoony'.

I spent a considerable amount of time in my car giving the great Pete Knifton a lift too and from a tournament in November.

One of the original artists involved in the development. His view was this when I asked him about inspiration.

He said this (paraphrasing here)

It's Orcs and Elves playing american football. I wanted it to be comical and less serious. It's meant to be fun.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 07:57
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

A bit on the practicalities of moving away from "cartoony" towards "realistic"

How do things sit now? Adult male humans are apparently 7.5 heads high. Where does our human lineman live on the "real" to "chibi" scale?

2.2x that's getting close to full chibi!

Given the limitations of the field layout, what if we went more "real"? (Orc blitzer height, pixel detail 4x curent):

Far left is 6 head heights, stepping one head at a time down to 2.
Mattius

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Throweck wrote:
Not sure how far we should move away from 'cartoony'.

I spent a considerable amount of time in my car giving the great Pete Knifton a lift too and from a tournament in November.

One of the original artists involved in the development. His view was this when I asked him about inspiration.

He said this (paraphrasing here)

It's Orcs and Elves playing american football. I wanted it to be comical and less serious. It's meant to be fun.

I'm of the same thought, they are quite funny and fit the nature of the game. One of the things I didn't like about bb2 is the graphics ironically. Realistic looking zombies and rotters (who don't look like they should be able to move at all)etc just doesn't feel right to me. Just my opinion of course.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The option for alternative graphics would be cool and maybe already catered for.

If anyone is able to do 'realistic' graphics they could then be slotted in.

Clear, functional, unambiguous, usable by people with vision issues, etc are probably more important than 'realistic'.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Ramchop, now I want The Full Chibi thanks to you.
fidius

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2019 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Dibs on the team name.
misterlonestar

Post   Posted: Apr 01, 2019 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Fully behind this project.

Order of operations:
1) Decide on Style (keeping in mind the resources available, meaning no money and volunteer talent)

2) Decide on Sizing Criteria to maintain consistency across races.

There are several styles that would work, including Chibi, "Darkest Dungeon" paper doll style, to fully 3-d rendered images. I'd say the best way to go about it would be to see which talented artists here at the site would be willing to volunteer their time. Then allow them to make some mock-ups from which Big C could decide the direction he would like to go.

On a side-note inkscape is fairly intuitive to use and over the weekend I was able to piece together these monstrosities which I'd be happy to play with.
misterlonestar

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought maybe a direct image may be better.

I particularly like the elf.

Garion

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 09:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I love that style. It reminds me of guacamelee. I suspect they will be too tall. Have you tried shrinking them and putting them on to the pitch?

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 22:46
FUMBBL Staff

With the picon expansion project reaching an end point (hoping, waiting, for admin approval and implemenation) discussions on the discord channel have moved on to svg and scalability.

If you are interested and have something to add to the discussion feel free to join in:

https://discord.gg/QPWwCg
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2019 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2019 - 01:16 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:

If you are interested and have something PRODUCTIVE to add to the discussion

Fixed that for you.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2019 - 02:24
FUMBBL Staff

Jim_Fear wrote:
ramchop wrote:

If you are interested and have something PRODUCTIVE to add to the discussion

Fixed that for you.

Yeah, nah. The open invite has always been there. And though there has been some heated discussion (RIP shorty), I think it's all been pretty good, so all welcome. Of course this view can change...
 Jump to: