37 coaches online • Server time: 16:53
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should we change it?
Yes
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
An option for TO select either
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 31

Fuel

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

in our home league we have a certain OT rule. that if defender doesnt allow to score for attacking player he wins the match. it removes the totaly luck dependent shoot out. And still ofcourse if either side score they win.
I though this was BB2016 rule and i was wondering why doesnt fumbbl have it but it seems i was wrong its not in BB2016.

Like i said we have it in our home league and players kinda like it. Atleast i didnt get any complains, lol.

As i think OT gives huge advantage to Attacking player this should even things out.

Lets discuss Smile
DrDeath

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting rule! It depends in my opinion - for leagues and cups at low to moderate TV, I agree the defending team should be given credit for holding out. However for high TV competitions (e.g. Fumbbl Majors with nasty bash sides well over 2000tv) I think without moderation it would be biased towards bash teams, and they are strong enough already.

For example an agility side will probably be badly down on numbers against a heavy bash side at the start of OT. Say they receive with a few players and survive without any score against 11 killers - well in that scenario the attackers deserve the win. So I'd qualify it:

1) Did the attacking side have 5 or more fewer players at the start of OT?
2) Answer yes - attacking side wins (rewarded for keeping the ball away against overwhelming numbers)
3) Answer no - defending side wins (rewarded for defensive skill in preventing the score)

I think you are right to suggest some kind of rule to resolve it on how well the side played. A straight dice roll off will always be somewhat unsatisfactory, although remember you add the number of team rerolls you managed to retain - all things considered this means the side which played better is more likely to win (although few/no remaining team rerolls may just have been caused by terrible dice, or being badly outnumbered - not necessarily a result of coaching skill...but probably?!)
garyt1

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting idea Walgis.

Dd, I guess it is rare to get to the end of overtime with rerolls?

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I think allowing the kicker to set up second (Perfect Defense) would go some way towards balancing overtime
Cloggy

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 19:08 Reply with quote Back to top

stowelly wrote:
I think allowing the kicker to set up second (Perfect Defense) would go some way towards balancing overtime

That would REALLY make Blitz! too powerful I think.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
stowelly wrote:

That would REALLY make Blitz! too powerful I think.

I mean forcing PD to be the kick off event. so no chance of a blitz
mattwakeman

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Plasmoid has had a variant of these rules for ages,

'Draws & Overtime: In the cup half of the tournament games must have a winner. All tied matches proceed to overtime. Dice off to see who gets to choose between being the offensive and the kicking team.
Offensive team sets up first, then Kicking team! Resolve kick-off as normal. The offensive team must score before the end of their 5th overtime turn in order to win. If the kicking team scores, or prevents the offensive team from scoring, then the kicking team wins.'

Best overtime rules that I have seen for Bloodbowl; something for both sides and it is not a guaranteed win for either dash or bash.

source: https://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/Ctr.htm
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there should be 100% blitz in overtime, and no additional kick off event rolled.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

There should be Blitz! on all kick-offs.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually like the idea of a 100% blitz chance in OT.
It makes genuine sense from a fluff perspective too, as the kicking team would be extra motivated to get a jump off the ball on the kick
Arktoris

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

OT is suppose to suck. That's an incentive to finish the game in regular time.

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
OT is suppose to suck. That's an incentive to finish the game in regular time.

That is an interesting point. Would a "fair" overtime cause the stronger team to take less risks knowing they would have a big edge in overtime?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

mattwakeman wrote:
Plasmoid has had a variant of these rules for ages,

'Draws & Overtime: In the cup half of the tournament games must have a winner. All tied matches proceed to overtime. Dice off to see who gets to choose between being the offensive and the kicking team.
Offensive team sets up first, then Kicking team! Resolve kick-off as normal. The offensive team must score before the end of their 5th overtime turn in order to win. If the kicking team scores, or prevents the offensive team from scoring, then the kicking team wins.'

Best overtime rules that I have seen for Bloodbowl; something for both sides and it is not a guaranteed win for either dash or bash.

source: https://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/Ctr.htm

How is that better than the OP's suggestion? For some teams scoring in 5 turns are'nt great odds.

I like the use of rerolls though. Adds a tactical yet unrealistic element.
mattwakeman

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Because it reduces the impact of the coin toss. A whole additional half favours bash teams way too much if they win the toss.

Hard to come up with a system which is fair given the disparity in playing styles that exist. Out of all of the ideas that I have read and played I have found Plasmoids to be the most interesting as winning the toss is no longer an automatic 'I will receive'.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 29, 2019 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

mattwakeman wrote:
Out of all of the ideas that I have read and played I have found Plasmoids to be the most interesting as winning the toss is no longer an automatic 'I will receive'.

Yeah but I think it depends on the roster. For elves or skaven it's a no brainer. Also if you are facing them. Dwarf/khemri you go the other way surely. I guess though most teams can score in 6.

Thinking more on this in overtime you are most likely not going to have your best line up so that'll weight things one way or the other.

I guess as it is ; if you win the toss, have a rr advantage and a personnel advantage it's pretty unfair.
 Jump to: