37 coaches online • Server time: 17:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2019 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

After a game where I kept getting wiped off the pitch, I pondered what I can do to even things up a bit, especially against reliable teams like dwarfs and chaos dwarfs.

I like playing goblins and underworld because they're high variance. Unfortunately, that means against a solid team with lots of tackle and block, a bit of bad luck early on can spiral into utter disaster quickly. So I got to thinking - can I inflict a bit more unreliability on the opponent?

So: foul appearance on both blitzers and the troll as their next skills? Screech is a pretty reliable killer with that Mighty Blow/Claw/Tackle combo, and while Scrunch could probably take dodge next so really make best use of his AG4, if I gave them and The Professor Foul Appearance then my opponent is going to have to start burning rerolls, or miss blocks.

If they're based every turn then that's 16 2D blocks they're getting in a game, and cutting out a sixth of them feels like it should help (at this TV, I suspect there's too much Tackle for Dodge to make a difference). Plus, there's an appeal to Foul Appearance on Trolls, because it's similar to making the players that block him equally stupid.

What do you think?

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2019 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Try it if you think it's fun. If you want to be effective, take a proper skill. Wink
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I think taking 40 blocks from CD is more the problem than lack of FA. In truth though, it's not a great match up for you.

Would 2 heads limit the damage more? This also has ball stealing benefits too, and ball stealing is a big part of Underworlds game.

I have a feeling though, that Underworld is just plain hard in box.
fidius

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

There are only two satisfying ways to deal with Dorf and CDorf coaches:
1) hit them with Claw
2) shame them in the forums
awambawamb

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

the trick is to leave the dorfs/chorfs with only one block per turn: the blitz.

Roto

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually like building a linerat to be a nuisance like that. Wrestle, Tents, Shadowing, DP.. I'll plop him near a catcher or thrower to basically make him a headache to deal with.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 04:30 Reply with quote Back to top

unless the player is a prime target, FA is a complete waste. Your stunty players are much more likely to be targeted.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 05:31 Reply with quote Back to top

2heads or horns. Make people reluctant to base you or easier for you to escape.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 06:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Main problem for underworld is, that ag3 is not good enough to reliably get out of harms way. So, 2 heads should help you better a) avoiding blocks and b) improve positioning.
neilwat

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 07:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I think that this will be a tough line up anyway. I love playing underworld and I think they are one of the teams where I will be really focused on keeping their TV about 1500. So taking FA might be too bloaty.

Hit and run with your claw+mb blitzers would be the way to go IMO and good positioning to limit how they can base you. So I agree with the others that two heads might be better.

In my last World Cup warm up game with “Hubba world” I was starting to take a beating with my UW vs dwarfs so I just ran away which split his guys. Then just tried to cause damage while not getting hit. I got a win in the end after a tough start. Could be worth watching the replay.
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Remember, for every +FA you take, opponent will have an extra +MB. You are already struggling skill-wise since the opponent, in this case, had six anti-skills (tackle) against your five dodgers.

As mentioned before, your best anti-skill against his 9AV is claw.
lautrehamon

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 12:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Underworld in box need to stay quite low on TV, or at least really effective to compete. When you're doing that they can work really well. I think the best thing for your team would be to cut 2 RR now, then a third when one our your thrower can take leader. That's 7 less skills in the opponent team ! You need more than 12 players obviously, I like 14/15 cause goblins tend to disappear quickly, and you need them to foul Smile
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't take Foul Appearance.
Take either Two Heads, Horns or Claw (according to your playstyle).
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2019 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul Appearance is useful in 2 cases

Case 1: It's a player you expect will get hit regularly. Ideally, the only player on your team that opponents will be trying to hit every turn is your ball carrier, who should ideally have blodge, sure hands, and any other skill to keep him from taking the hard hits. You should also be caging him or screening him to make hits on him harder, or impossible. IF you take Foul Appearance on a ball carrier, it's a later skill, usually after block, dodge, sure hands, side step, and fend. So yeah, if you want to waste a skill slot on a super star or legend to force an opponent to roll a 2+ to block him, it's not the worst thing you could do, but it's usually not the best either.

Case 2: If you can spam it over your entire roster. This isn't a winning strategy, but it can be a fun option for a theme team that you play more for fun than winning. It may eat up some RRs over the course of the game, and it may prevent 2 or 3 blocks, but it won't increase your win rate.

Foul Appearance is a better freebie skill than something you'd want to waste a skill roll on. But depending on your playstyle, it has some application.
 Jump to: