33 coaches online • Server time: 17:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tussock

Post   Posted: May 08, 2020 - 03:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Not every roster has a representative in the finals, for all sorts of reasons, so you can't do that. The swiss pools are needed because you can't predict numbers ahead of time, and without 3 rounds you can't get a result.

Like, a single big knockout could work, but that still favours the huge bash squads like overtime knockouts do. Could also just run 5 games swiss, so teams have more chance to come back from a loss. But that specific change couldn't work, Pirigin. Can't predict teams appearing.

Post   Posted: May 09, 2020 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

If teams don't appear their opponents within the fixed groups simply get an auto-win. This is no different from getting a bye vs a filler in the fumbbl cup or such. Except that in my suggested format a coach actually have chosen to give up a spot.

With my suggested groups coaches with lower tier teams are encouraged to join since their groups are easier...

In the current swiss format CAS-diiference is an important tie-breaking criteria which means that non-bash teams rarely win on tie-breaks. After three rounds of swiss among 10-12 teams the probability for two or more teams to have the same points is huge. And the bashier team always go through by tie-breaking in those cases. But the greater problem is that the teams face hugely different strength of opposition in the 3-round swiss. In magic the gathering the suggested number of rounds for 10-12 players are 4-5. With 4-5 rounds the difference in opposition gets smaller and the probabilities for ending on the same amount of points too.

If the swiss format shall be kept it really needs to be 4-5 rounds and the first tie-breaking criteria at every round should be opponents win-percentage (strength of opposition) in the tourney. As it is in any other serious competitive swiss environment (Chess or magic the gathering)... This means that if you have faced opponents that have scored more points throughout the tourney you are ranked higher...

All thins aside I really like the fluff feel of my suggested format...

First you beat every one in your race... then you have to beet your closest rivals in your division... then you face everyone else...
Cloggy

Post   Posted: May 27, 2020 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to say I like the concept Pirigin. Certainly worth discussing when we have to rethink XFL after this season anyway. I will run it by Cyrus and Bazakastine.

Post   Posted: May 27, 2020 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Anyway, I was in the thread for a more immediate reason: Here we go coaches! The XFL XIV tournaments for Halfling, Nurgle and Orc are now accepting applications.

All coaches with a Ranked or Blackbox team of any TV from any of these races are invited to APPLY on the group page. The tournaments will be drawn on June 3rd, so you have until then to get ready!

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2020 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Last chance to win your tickets to the Masters people!

Elf Union, Norse and Skaven teams are now invited to apply for their qualifiers!

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 16:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I have to say I like the concept Pirigin. Certainly worth discussing when we have to rethink XFL after this season anyway. I will run it by Cyrus and Bazakastine.

I keep my hopes up! Smile
Id really welcome any change even if it wont be like my suggestion.

Another thing that could be implemented is a more structured and clear application process for the masters.

It is not quite clear if a winner in one XFL can sit out with that team and join with the runner-ups from another XFL where the winners declined or took another team in.
Kam

Post   Posted: Jun 30, 2020 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

TBH, if, by chance, I had a stunty team winning an XFL (*cough*), playing the masters in any format but a straight KO tourney would be a major PITA.

But that's a small if, and there are plenty of other teams who would like it better. Thanks for organizing this and doing your best.

Jump to: