52 coaches online • Server time: 15:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, all

I think it would be good for newer coaches if we made that yellow preview box that you get in the Gamefinder fishbowl more intuitive, and good for all if we included a couple things that aren't there right now.

As-is, the top section of the team preview (record, form, treasury, Journeymen, MNG players, Apothecary, Re-Rolls, and players by position) is fine in my book.

The place I really think the preview could be included is where skills and stats are listed. Is there a way to, instead of listing the total number of skills on a team, list the total number of improvements? Then after stats, maybe a line for injuries would be helpful. One more thing that might be good to add here is the number of Legends and Super Stars on the team. This could go at the top section instead, or opposite the player positions.

As for skill summary, I think Piling On should be swapped out for Stand Firm, as Piling On is unpopular in the current meta. Also, it might be nice to order them in a way that makes more sense: it seems kind of random now. Like Block, Wrestle, Dodge, Side Step, Stand Firm, and Leap, in the left column, with Guard, Mighty Blow, Tackle, Claw, Strip Ball and Dirty Player in the right?

I know this seems frivolous, but really, it's not. FUMBBL is not particularly accessible, and any little thing that makes it easier for new coaches is a good thing.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 15:22 Reply with quote Back to top

One format suggestion:

Team Name

Left Column: Record, CR, Form, Treasury.
Right Column: #Players, MNG Players, Apothecary, Rerolls.

Left Column: [Position]: (repeat as necessary).
Right Column: Legends, Super Stars ... Rookies (each only if there are any), Journeymen (if any). (Potentially 8 lines, comparable to Goblins or Chaos Renegades.)

Improvements, Stats, Injuries

Left Column: Block, Wrestle, Dodge, Leap, Stand Firm, Side Step.
Right Column: Guard, Mighty Blow, Tackle, Claw, Strip Ball, Dirty Player.

This increases the total bulk of the whole thing by one less than the number of player positions or star player ranks on the team. It saves two lines by putting the top block into columns, but burns one on injuries. I don't think that would be unwieldy.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Probably more legible if you make a sketch of it.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I looked it over, and I saw that there's probably room for three columns if the third one is short, and that the third column is probably the lesser sin compared to having a slightly taller box.

Here's a screenshot of an Excel mockup for a mid-high TV team.

Here's an example showing how Journeymen would be represented. It also shows the maximum number of positionals for a Chaos Renegades team (8), which incidentally is the number of star player ranks, including Journeymen.

EDIT: I didn't mod the Stats and Inj for the second one from the first. Oops. Still, you see how it would look.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

The league and ruleset would be very useful.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Though... hmmm. If we include only skills the team has (so, say, we don't spend a line telling you the Orcs have no Claw), we could include 4 more skills without increasing the maximum size. Like, Frenzy, Diving Tackle, Fend, and maybe Sure Hands or Leader.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
The league and ruleset would be very useful.
Hmmm. Even better, can we have the text color-coded for [R] vs [L] teams? Like, the League matchups are in dark blue text and the Ranked in dark red?

Then we could add one row at the top for Race/TV (in case you forgot and the box covers it), and if [L], League and Ruleset.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 20:23 Reply with quote Back to top

ideally, i'd have text color indicate whether you could play them (ie, if matching rulesets, blue, if rulesets don't match, red).
super ideally, this could then extend to the ranked rules on playing, although that's potentially too difficult
stowelly

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Id prefer less info! It's already a standoff that results in no games while opponents wait for the guy with less tackle or less mighty blow etc
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 06:34 Reply with quote Back to top

stowelly wrote:
Id prefer less info! It's already a standoff that results in no games while opponents wait for the guy with less tackle or less mighty blow etc

Thats what Black Box is for Wink
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I like stowelly would prefer less info: Form, treasury, journeymen is enough imo - the rest is already getting to the point which I'd consider "pre-match" info for a a game you are already locked into playing absolutely anywhere else. To this extent the more info you have about teams pre-game the more confusing it is.

Agree with Koadah that league ruleset is the sort of thing much more pertinent. The rest you can just click on the team for, if you want to be picky, do some extra work.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
I like stowelly would prefer less info: Form, treasury, journeymen is enough imo - the rest is already getting to the point which I'd consider "pre-match" info for a a game you are already locked into playing absolutely anywhere else. To this extent the more info you have about teams pre-game the more confusing it is.

But this is the Gamefinder info when you're looking for a game? I dont get your italic reference?
stowelly

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I dunno man, I kind of feel that the game finder list is a lot better when treating it as "ah cool, i like that guy, and would like to try orcs against my khemri, and they are close enough tv". everything else is either just noise. or is used to gain advantage.
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

What I mean clay is that if I am playing Bloodbowl in any other format I don't have extensive info on my opponent until I'm already actually scheduled against them and my options are play/concede (the latter of which isn't really an option on tabletop). I might know vaguely what someone has on their team at the start of the season, or week to week updated, but by the time I know the exact teams we'd be using against each other, I'm already past the rubicon - we're playing.

You can achieve all the info JR requests simply by clicking on the team in the gamefinder. Or some extra clicks for things like exact coach decimal CR, which frankly the vast majority of users on this site have absolutely no need to be basing their games on.

This doesn't make a new user's time any easier at all - it swamps them with information they're not used to getting, and simply makes more available to experienced users who already know the ins and outs of the jungle and know what they're looking for.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:

Agree with Koadah that league ruleset is the sort of thing much more pertinent. The rest you can just click on the team for, if you want to be picky, do some extra work.

It would be really cool to have that info on the team page too. Mr. Green

Jump to: