41 coaches online • Server time: 17:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 12:46 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
What I mean clay is that if I am playing Bloodbowl in any other format I don't have extensive info on my opponent until I'm already actually scheduled against them and my options are play/concede (the latter of which isn't really an option on tabletop). I might know vaguely what someone has on their team at the start of the season, or week to week updated, but by the time I know the exact teams we'd be using against each other, I'm already past the rubicon - we're playing.

You can achieve all the info JR requests simply by clicking on the team in the gamefinder. Or some extra clicks for things like exact coach decimal CR, which frankly the vast majority of users on this site have absolutely no need to be basing their games on.

This doesn't make a new user's time any easier at all - it swamps them with information they're not used to getting, and simply makes more available to experienced users who already know the ins and outs of the jungle and know what they're looking for.

Ah i get you, and totally agree... and yes, if the Gamefinder just had Coach Name Team Name Race TV, then yes, we could still look at the roster and make a call to offer or accept a game.

But at present we have this "cherrypickers quick menu" available to us and I guess the OP wants to make it more comprehensive/flexible...

My personal view is I tend to go by racial matchups at low TV and will get more picky at TV2000+ as I want to avoid fouling death merchants as much as possible... but thats just my personal approached to ranked gamefinder
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 18:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I want it to be more accessible to newer coaches, by cleaning it up and providing a summary of what genuinely counts. Yes, pickers will get to look this over, but it's not as good as just clicking on the team if you're a veteran coach. For a newcomer, however, this box could provide a summary of what one should look at when evaluating a team.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 21:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Counts? Truly new coaches are not actually able to evaluate a team based on skills anyway, even if you present them a full summary. And as I said, you're only really summarising things that will overwhelm people who are new but have some experience with the game.

As said, league ruleset would be a good addition. The rest is more like a request to turn the gamefinder into even more of an à la carte menu for pickers, especially the addition of decimal CR to overview - is this really something to waste time on? Making things simpler, more efficient and faster for an element of the site best described as undesirable at best, and parasitic at worst? In addition, you also upgrade the expectancy and social acceptance of such practices.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2020 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

How bout reducing the summary to a single number: the average CR differential of the coach's last 10 Ranked games. Then "WARNING: CHERRYPICKER" appears in flashing red letters if the Index is < -100.

(I'm joking. Sort of.)
 Jump to: