20 coaches online • Server time: 07:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gnoblar

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Human Mages

Roster
0-1 Golem 3/6/1/10 bonehead, loner, mighty blow, standfirm, thickskull, S/AGP 140K
0-4 Wizard 6/2/3/7 bombadier, stab, hypnotic gaze, leap, animosity, Throw team mate, GP/AS 120k
* (Raised positional) Frog 5/1/4/4 - Dodge, Leap, No Hands, Stunty, Titchy, Very Long Legs, Disposable, Swarming A/GSP 10k
0-16 Apprentice 6/3/3/7 right stuff, G/ASP 40k

Rerolls - 70k
Apo - Yes
Necromancer - Yes (Raised positional is Frog)
Star Players - Humans + Hubris Rakarth replaces Frank N Stein, + our own Coermitte 'Prince' Grenouille
Inducement - wizard 100k instead of 150k (this is optional and mainly if you want to to try this out on TT because it's hard to implement on fumbbl.)

*Frogs cannot be bought, but any human sized mortal opposing killed player is transmogrified into a frog

If you would like to try this roster out please create a team and join the group here: https://fumbbl.com/p/group?op=view&group=12266

Player pics
ImageImageImage Image

Icons
Golem
Wizard
Frog
Apprentice

Coermitte 'Prince' Grenouille - Star Player

6/2/4/5 Loner, Dauntless, Regeneration, Dodge, Leap, No Hands, Stunty, Titchy, Very Long Legs, 60k

Coermitte Grenouille was a star Bretonnian Blitzer and heir to a large dukedom before he insulted a powerful Arch Mage who promptly turned the arrogant Prince into a regenerating frog. He is unable to return to his native home to take up his rightful place as Duke due to his legs now being a delicacy and which, thanks to his regenerative powers, could be exploited in endless supply! As such he now travels and plays for the Mages teams in the hope that one day a wizard will take pity on him and return him to his former glory.

Race logos
192 px
128 px
96 px
64 px
48 px
32 px

Team design, rationale and background by GnoblarBezer
Pics, Icons and artwork by Frylen

Famous Teams
Mirkheim Mages - First appeared 2nd Ed., 1988
Timelords - First appeared Death Zone 1st Ed., 1986
Altdorf Academicals - My team!

Background
Human mage teams have been mentioned in the lore of Blood Bowl twice:

* "The sorcerous owner of the now-disbanded Mirkheim Mages was the unfortunate victim of a cross-time misunderstanding. He attempted to summon a new coach for his team through a timewarp into the future, but was unluckily crushed when a single-decker bus fell on him."

* "That the shortest ever game on record was won by a team of students from the High Archmage's College of Temporal Magic, though they were later disqualified. After all, what was the point of their opponents turning up for the match, if all the wizards were going to do was hop back in time three days and win the game before the fixture was even decided?"

And so it would make sense to make a team for them. I know that they were banned at some point but maybe the new NAF has brought them back but with severe restrictions (humans only, limited number, no temporal magic).

Background Proper (Need help with this).

The Colleges of Magic are an important and powerful institution charged with the training of all individuals who are capable of manipulating the Winds of Magic. In the time before Blood Bowl, wizards were used in the service of the Empire. After Blood Bowl became the normal venue for the settlement of disputes, the wizards trained by the Colleges found work as staff on Blood Bowl teams.

During the early days of Blood Bowl magic use was unregulated and uncontrolled. This had the consequence of many games being saturated with magic. In 2472, the famous 'Quagmire Incident' caused the entire Bright Crusaders' stadium to sink into the earth due to the unregulated use of magic. This incident led to the NAF banning on-pitch magic use and mages teams from Blood Bowl.

In 2473, the Colleges of Magic developed Dungeonbowl in response to the NAF ruling that they could not participate in the NAF league due to the magic ban. Dungeonbowl was run under the Magicians Armorial Dungeonbowl Federation (MAD) and featured each college putting forward a team. Since MAD was established, the relationship between NAF and MAD improved as finances boomed.

This led to the NAF recently unbanning the use of on pitch-magic but severe restrictions were brought into place and it is now solely regulated by the Colleges of Magic with only licensed spellcasters being allowed to play and use magic in games. Following this the Colleges put forward a request to allow mages teams to play in NAF games and this has recently been approved.

Rationale
I think this would make for a crazy team which is super wimpy but could pull off some amazing plays and came from a thread I made a while ago which then lead to a great thread on a stunty mage team by Aflo which provided the base. The team is unique as it has many extrodinary skills on the wizards and because of the ability to throw st3 non-stunty players. Str and Ag skill access is restricted to doubles on wizards and apprentices to represent that they aren't physically powerful or athletic and so the main damage dealing comes from the 'spell' skills.

The wizards had to be the stars of this team and as such I wanted to make them with a number of spells. I have tried in previous attempts to split them into separate wizards of different schools but this became too much and so I just wanted to simplify them into a single posistional. Fireball (bomb), Lightning (stab), Illusion (Hypno Gaze), Teleport (Leap) and Levitate (TTM). They also have animosity to show that they want to be the stars of the show as opposed to the Apprentices.

They are strength 2 to represent that they are completely unarmoured as opposed to the Apprentices as in line with wizard fluff but have av7 due to protective mage armour but due to this lack of equipment don't have the same melee potential.

I wanted to make sure that the wizards did not become insanely good from the off and represent recent graduates as opposed to age old wizards. As such they have GP access to represent that they played as apprentices before but now are furthering their magical training with P access (Safe throw, pass, HMP). I am aware this might make them into monsters and I may remove it from them. I also considered adding secret weapon to them representing the ref kicking them out meaning you would have to balance your wizard usage but this seemed to be too limiting to the team.

Another option, and my personal favourite if we go down the negatrait route, is to give them Take Root to represent a miscast and them being locked in place by vines sprouting from the ground. This would encourage clever movement and activation.

I also considered Always Hungry to represent a poor apprentice being sucked into the void but I decided that the move was risky enough as it is. I am also watching to make sure that the General, Passing skill access is appropriate and I may cut the MV down to 5.

The golem is the main big guy and is made of a collection of furniture and rocks brought to life by a magic ritual. They are slow and dimwitted but don't feel pain and are literally made of rocks. I didn't give them TTM because I wanted that role to go to the wizards. This position is basically a gnomish contraption but with loner and thick skill added.

Apprentices are the human linemen of the team and are the same as Vampire thralls except that they have right stuff to allow the wizards to catapult them around. They represent students at the Colleges of Magic and are drafted into the team to make up the numbers and to protect the wizards. As they are still students they also aren't proficient or licensed in magic so have no spells.

The frogs were added later after I found out about the Zap! spell for wizard inducements which turns players into frogs for a drive. I just used the stat line from the spell and also (thanks Frylen for the suggestion) made it so that the team have a 'necromancer' who raises a frog when an opponent gets killed. This is fluffed as the wizards turn them into a frog as opposed to kill them which I think is a super cool idea, fits the theme so well and is based on something in the core game! The only difference is that the frogs on this team get disposable to stop people simple cutting them as soon as they get them.

The frog players are the worst players in the whole of blood bowl, even worse than an Ogre gnoblar with 1 less AV, no side step and no hands for a 2+ leap!

Rerolls were made 70k to show that this team isn't a sports team first, it's more an academic team who happen to play blood bowl and as the positions are students and/or scholars they don't have much time to practice together.

Star Players - Humans
Hubris Rakarth has been mentioned in fluff as a previous magic user and so he could feature as a star player.

'Hubris was infamous for using his self-taught arcane magical powers during a match. In one game he managed to turn the entire front line of the Lowdown Rats into giant frogs. Sadly this plan backfired when it turned out that the frogs were better at Blood Bowl than the players they had replaced. In another game Hubris cast what he though was a temporary growth spell upon himself, that made him grow to almost eight foot tall. Hubris had one of his best games ever, but at the end of the match found that the counter-spell he had learnt didn’t work. Hubris remains eight foot tall to this day, and now no longer uses magical spells on the pitch.'

I put him down to replace Frank N Stein because of the well cemented fact that the colleges despise necromancy and have banned it. I even considered giving the wizards stakes as as turn undead spell but decided they already had enough! Through test playing I found that the roster could do with a 50/60k star player (who isn't a bomber) and so I created Coermitte to fit that role.

However, in reality this team will just have the Human roster Star Players just for ease and to be compliant.

But yea feedback and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Gnoblar on Sep 19, 2020 - 01:53; edited 57 times in total
Apus

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

An interesting roster. 120K and strength 2 / AV 7 is an interesting idea. Might be over priced though. Ag 4 might be worth considering. And Dodge as well.

I’ve written a whole bunch of rosters recently for an experimental BB7s College of Magic.

I’ve taken the view that certain magic is banned on the blood bowl pitch and therefore I’ve treated some magic items as secret weapons.

https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=12232&op=view

The 12 magic rosters under the tab, College of Magic experimental.
garyt1

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 08:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like fun. It may fit the fluff though usually S3 can't get right stuff. I suppose it means wizard should have ttm?

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 08:57 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
Looks like fun. It may fit the fluff though usually S3 can't get right stuff. I suppose it means wizard should have ttm?

Yea I thought it would make them unique roster! And yes they have throw team mate (TTM), I will expand the abbreviation in the first post.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 09:16 Reply with quote Back to top

You cant have ag4 bombadiers, they would be broken.

I dont remember that 2nd ed fluff. Do you know which book and page number?

I really like the concept and rationale. I think this is a good shout for an additional roster.

I think originally we might have thought about it. However, it's the type of roster that would work best with additional special rules that would suit TT or extra coding.

I really like the work you have put in here. Well done.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:

They're not physically throwing players though. He has looked at the skills we have and how they can be portrayed as spells.

It's why l think this roster would work best with new skills. However I really like how the OP has used what we have to create the roster.
Gnoblar

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 09:51 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:

I dont remember that 2nd ed fluff. Do you know which book and page number?

2nd edition rules, page 14, left hand side.

"Did you know
The sorcerous owner of the now-disbanded Mirkheim Mages was the unfortunate victim of a cross-time misunderstanding. He attempted to summon a new coach for his team through a timewarp into the future, but was unluckily crushed when a single-decker bus fell on him."

harvestmouse wrote:

I think originally we might have thought about it. However, it's the type of roster that would work best with additional special rules that would suit TT or extra coding.

This is true and would be great but I'm aware that takes a lot of time and effort!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Well time and effort yes, but also it's not possible. Extra coding = coding the client and that isn't viable for add on teams. The only way to handle magic is the way you have. It would be cool if this roster had a cheaper wizard.....but I don't think you can set that for individual rosters.
Gnoblar

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Well time and effort yes, but also it's not possible. Extra coding = coding the client and that isn't viable for add on teams. The only way to handle magic is the way you have. It would be cool if this roster had a cheaper wizard.....but I don't think you can set that for individual rosters.

I considered the exact same thing. Cheap wizard inducement but as you said that's going to be hard to implement and so I left it out. I would include it though if people want to play this in their own local TT leagues.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I think put it as an 'option' on the roster page. Something like:

League option

Pity of the gods

The gods take pity on the mage and grant him extra magical power.

For Human Mage teams that have a losing record in the current season. The commissioner of the league can add 2/3rds of the funds necessary to purchase a wizard for the next game. These added funds can ONLY be spent on hiring a wizard for the next fixture.
Gnoblar

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I think put it as an 'option' on the roster page. Something like:

League option

Pity of the gods

The gods take pity on the mage and grant him extra magical power.

For Human Mage teams that have a losing record in the current season. The commissioner of the league can add 2/3rds of the funds necessary to purchase a wizard for the next game. These added funds can ONLY be spent on hiring a wizard for the next fixture.

Done and done. I've added it similar to goblin bribes just for simplicity sake. 100k wiz instead of 150k.

I really appreciate the input mate, thank you Smile
Gnoblar

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Background Updated.
Sigmar1

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
I really like the concept and rationale. I think this is a good shout for an additional roster.

Who are you and what have you done with the real harvestmouse?

harvestmouse wrote:
I really like the work you have put in here. Well done.

Seriously? This is literally Aflo's stunty roster with Apprentices in place of the Homunculi. Well, he also dropped the Mephits as well.

I mean, the roster is decent, but let's give credit where it's due.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2020 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Sigmar1 wrote:

I mean, the roster is decent, but let's give credit where it's due.

As I said in the OP credit is given to Aflo for the base roster and the thread with the ideas on combined with those of my Wizards College thread with the main push being for the ttm, str 3's and the simplified roster and if you go through the rationale there is a list of further suggestions to get this moving forward and which feedback would be greatly appreciated on!
Gnoblar

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2020 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

If anyone is willing to make some icons and pics for this roster I'd be very grateful and will happily donate some cash to the site as payment. Smile
 Jump to: