16 coaches online • Server time: 07:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dolphinandrew

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2020 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Blood Bowl (3rd ed onwards at the very least) was always GW's most boardgame-y minis game. From what I've seen so far, the rules strike me as shifting this slightly back in a miniatures game direction. By which I mean, more details to make it more 'realistic', but less clean.

It's a change, but I think playing it online won't be that different. My feeling so far is that it's pushed real life play into the realms of too much bookwork for me now. At least league play. But I haven't played in a real world league for quite a long time, so it's somewhat irrelevant on that score.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2020 - 22:27
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Funny story. When I came back to Bloodbowl after a few years away and played CRP for the first time I had no idea what Wrestle or Grab did and thought they were silly skills that didn’t really add anything. I’ll give 2020 a fair chance to prove itself Wink

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Nohistor

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2020 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I played BB from 89-94 , took a loooong brake, started by a coincidence again 2014, and got a really long face in my first game. Block dices?? Turnovers?? No toughness or coolness ?? Bonehead ogres??? etc.
Now I have learned the game again and they change it again , lol xD
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2020 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
Human and Orc blitzers and numerous other players.

Yeah, that was my point.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Aug 11, 2020 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

No poll? ;0

No you're not an idiot, it's the biggest change for a very long time and it's bewlidering and will take some effort to learn. It's a new era. My instinct is that it will improve the game, and personally, i'm starting to love GW again and what they are doing right now on all fronts. This after years of ambivalence. So, I can make the effort, but if you don't, it doesn't make you an idiot.
almic85

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2020 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

You’re not n idiot but the with the number of changes to the rulebook it may as well be a new game system to learn. I play Necromunda (and 40k occasionally) as well and when the rule book gets updated the bits that catch you often aren’t the big changes but rather the smaller changes that have become old habits (change to niggle) or the ones where they have redefined a common term (leap comes to mind here).

There are a few changes in there that are targeted at making the game more “modern” and “accessible” such as the change of stats to x+ rather than needing to refer to a table to establish the required roll (which is easier for new players but harder for people who have a table stick in their head) and the change to SPP to give the coach more control over skill progression (which makes the coach feel more in control but exponentially increases the league admin burden).

I guess though the big thing you have to remember is the CRP is an incredibly complex game that you are able to casually play because you have already been a hardcore player. This new version of bloodbowl is going to be the same. If you want to be able to casually remember what every skill does you are going to have to play it for as long as it took you to do it in CRP.

If you're interested join the Fringe
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2020 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I am also one of the old Grognards and am 48 in a few months. Started in 1988 with the Styrofoam pitch and 2d6 tables. Loved the game then.

I have seen every change and for every change there are people who rage quit or moan but there has always been a strong supporter base for the game and the game keeps on keeping on.

I look at all the new rosters and I can see reasons for pretty much everything and am very excited for a new meta.

Winning tournaments at 1500TV is going to be a bigger challenge vs the current build to 2300TV and crush all before you until you meet other similar teams.

Everyone is going to be on a fairly level playing field and I think coach skill will weigh heavier than stat freak accumulation.

And yes part of my excitement is the feeling of nostalgia as we take a slight step back to 2nd ed feel.
 Jump to: