38 coaches online • Server time: 18:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

The Warpstone Open is currently running and it sure is fun to watch all those great teams cracking skulls and throwing long bombs.

But as I see it, the game isn't very well balanced at team rating levels over 225. The teams that tend to dominate are the soild orc/dwarf teams and the super highly skilled elf teams. This means that there are a lot of factors far more important than coach skill if you want to make it in an official tourney.

The most important factor of all is that you need a very strong team, which takes a lot of time (and some fine cherrypicking...) to develop. Time that many of us don't really have. Also, the draw is a big thing since your whole team can be destroyed in one game if you are unlucky to play vs that claw chaos team.

This is why i propose that one official tourney has a TR cap on, lets say 175:

* You can build a team for the tourney much quicker

* Every race has a better shot - teams like Amazons, Humans and Lizardmen is just as strong as for instance Orcs at this TR. This means more fun and wacky matchups

* The rooster itself with skill rolls etc are less important. Sure you can have a lot of stat increases, but at this TR, you will miss a lot of "nessecary" skills instead.

* Handicaps will have little impact of the game

* Hiring stars and such will have less impact of the game

* The draw will have less impact on the coming games

* It's more fun to gangfoul a really good player since the opponent probably just have one or two, not ten as it is today...

To sum it up, I think the coaching skill will have MUCH more impact over the outcome of the tourney - and IMHO, Blood Bowl is the most fun playing between 175-200 TR.

Flame on!

Last edited by SideshowBob on Mar 02, 2006 - 22:45; edited 1 time in total
heinz

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

You said it Bob! Great idea. I know the smacks are an option, but these instant tourneys are hard to make time for at least for me.

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 22:05 Reply with quote Back to top

When the hell are +200TR non-elven teams going to get games if not in tournaments? If anything teams should be above 175TR to enter the official major ranked tournaments, it's supposed to be about the best of the best.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as I'm understanding you correctly as AN official tournament, rather than ALL (as Wallace seems to think Wink ) I'm all for it!

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 22:22 Reply with quote Back to top

There are enough inofficial tournaments of that kind in unranked groups all over Fumbbl. Ok, some ranked teams may never get a chance to play in a Warpstone Open with its profitable prizes, but ranked is made for casual matches anyway, isn't it? Unranked is the arena featuring tournaments for every taste.

Meech

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Only thing that doesn't make sense is why you think Stars won't have as big an impact.

edit: Oops, I think it is a good idea as well!
celas

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Bob on this one. Having a cap would also stop teams from coming into an official tourney with not only a high tr/ts team but also a treasury of 200+ Gold crowns. Hiring a star and/or wizard every game when you already have a TS adv gets old.

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
As long as I'm understanding you correctly as AN official tournament, rather than ALL (as Wallace seems to think Wink ) I'm all for it!

Only one official tourney yes.

Vangorn wrote:
There are enough inofficial tournaments of that kind in unranked groups all over Fumbbl. Ok, some ranked teams may never get a chance to play in a Warpstone Open with its profitable prizes, but ranked is made for casual matches anyway, isn't it? Unranked is the arena featuring tournaments for every taste.

Well, the official tourneys have quite a big inpact on the CR, and it would be fun to have a official tourney where "everyone" could join. As it is now, a lot of fine coaches don't enter the offical tourneys since they don't have the time to develop a kick ass team
Webbe

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

This would be a very very nice addition to me. Finally I could enter an official tourney.
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Fine idea.

TR175 seems a good choice too.

Post   Posted: Mar 02, 2006 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well as it is now some races dominates at turnements. But making a TR cap wont change that. it will just change the type of race that dominates. as different races are good at different TR. TR 175 and you will see a lot of Dwarf teams as they are quite strong at that TR.

No I say leave it as it is lets see the best of the best fight it out. We wana see truly legendary teams.

on second thought. lets make it tr 100. HA HA come fight my amazons or dwarfs with your Dark elfs now!

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent idea. Might produce several most interesting games (from my experience with OCCS-tourneys that's almost the ideal TR).
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to see a tourney without any of the "qualifier" crap, where people get to re-apply with the same team like 5 times until they win. All the qualifiers do is give the teams who finish first the chance to load up their bank with 200-500k gold. When you get morg + ripper + wizard on your side every other match, it isn't really that much a test of skill as who played the most soft games to give them a guaranteed victory Sad
Optihut

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Having a TR cap in one of the four official tournaments is a good idea, imho, ymmv.
Erazz

Post   Posted: Mar 03, 2006 - 00:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I think, that the "fumbbl majors" sould be open! That is, that they sould be open for any team with any TR.
 Jump to: