48 coaches online • Server time: 20:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I am really enjoying these
It highlights interesting games that I would otherwise miss from the early stages

One request
Could you give games a ranking (out of 5 stars) of how interesting you think the replays are?

Or maybe ranking on the coaching quality displayed
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
It highlights interesting games that I would otherwise miss from the early stages

One request
Could you give games a ranking (out of 5 stars) of how interesting you think the replays are?

TLDR.

mrt1212 - great work and initiative. Can you chew it up and spit it in my mouth, and then massage my neck so I don't have to exert myself swallowing? K-thanks-bye.
Gary_Gygax

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4000362 Intellects Never Die (Mattius) did the ole Deadite Mamba on Galaga (Gary_Gygax). Again, we see one team score before turn 8, in this case Galaga and a counter score by Intellects Never Die that evens it up before half.

Now quickly into 2nd half Galaga did something that I really did not like. The deadites were in a spot where Galaga could have isolated the ball carrier and his 2 mates screening from the rest of the team and then changed the focus of the deadites into overcoming that. Instead he played passively and searched for a golden shot with his ST5 Leap Wrestler. I get it, I really do, but letting the deadites come back together and cage and advance into his territory when it was a 1-1 tie really put the impetus on them to hit their golden shot if and when it arose.

Which it kinda did but to no avail since the scatter bounced right to Setekh. Despite being in two TZs with the elves he deftly used his break tackle and ST4 to escape and get into scoring range and then brought home the bacon to advance.

I'll say it again, in that situation I'd really have like to see the elves cut the head off from the body and increase the cognitive load of the undead to figure out what to do rather than give up a square at a time while also sacrificing elf after elf. Such is life though.

I totally agree, that were my same thoughts at the end of the game. It's also true I didnt roll pow or pow/skull on late blitz with the monster st5 leaper/wrestler even after a reroll, but again I agree I really didnt play as I should with probably my strongest team in years (or at least compared to my other teams). I'm indeed relying too much on that ST5 lineelf.
I'll try to adjust my darkies strategy for the next tourneys for sure! Wink
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

these are cool

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:

One request

FWIW, bar the last stunty game, these are all games I've caught in real time.

And I don't know if I can put a ranking in because I have a natural bias towards elves being interesting. I would probably rate all the bash as 2 or 3 with 3 being their ceiling.

As for coaching quality - I'm not in a great position to determine that given my own quality and the aforementioned predilection towards elves.
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok fair enough

It's been something I've thought about for a while, some way of building a library of expert coaching replays for people to learn from.

Tournament games are a natural starting point but it's impossible to filter the ones where it's just decided by dice or roster, away from the ones where there's genius play at work

There could be the possibility of letting people comment on replays or rate them, to link them to commentary video, etc

Anyway never mind that, please continue with your excellent reviews
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love for there to be a rating for matches but defining a rubric would be hard and keeping cranks from 1 voting stuff would also be hard.

I too have thought about how awesome it would be to have a database to pull matches from based on some of that criteria though.
huff

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

If even you could bookmark/categorize replays yourself, then be able to ‘pinch’ other coaches like a gallery.

But yep, would definitely be nice if there were a ‘catalogue’ of sorts.

Being able to leave comments 3rd part comments would be pretty neat as well, I too have thought of this.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 20, 2018 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=4000484 Nehekhara Liches (Bazakastine) faced off against a relatively battered and green (in all ways) squad, Croakerz (Mickey_Goldmill). Croakerz received first and tried to wind their way down the field eventually making a break for open space and getting into scoring position. Unfortunately for them, the Liches were having none of it and converged and shook the ball loose. Then it was a mad scramble to get the ball and get on the move again for the froggies culiminating in a dicey proposition to score on Turn 8 - 3+ 3+ and 2 GFIs to secure the go ahead before the half. But alas the dice said no to that and it was a 0-0 tie at half. The Liches took the ball directly on the kick and then carved their way up the pitch with sublime patience while Croakerz tried to make a ruckus happen with several -2d6 blitzes on the Thro-Ra carrying to no avail.

Keep an eye out on these Nehekhara Liches, they've got a chip on their shoulder being forlorn.

1-0 Nehekhara Liches.
morehouse

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Grats to tonight's winners and thanks to everybody who listened to the commentary, was a fun time.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4000531: No words.

2-1 BB Small Men
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4000531: No words.

2-1 BB Small Men

Despite the loss, I have never seen High Elves played any better.
Scarlak

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

And BB Small Men prize is not the expected match v Malmirs Lizards (All Greek to Me) as he crashes out in the first round. Non-Fury Animals (coached by Joost) had their knuckle dusters on and sliced through what must have been paper armour. Nuffle continued to slap Malmir into submission into the second half and eventually the Non-Fury Animals got the ball and strolled down the field for an easy score.

My advice don't play Malmir for a while. He deserves some luck and if he gets it you're in trouble.

Match

Last edited by Scarlak on Jul 21, 2018 - 19:40; edited 1 time in total
morehouse

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... lots of really good players out in round one. Very interesting tournament so far...
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 21, 2018 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Scarlak, here's the game link:

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=4000631

Malmir, I'm buying as many pints as you can drink, my man.
 Jump to: