28 coaches online • Server time: 13:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2019 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Background:

This will be my twelfth season in the NBFL: I played Amazons in seasons 10-13 (Flashington Redheads) and 15 (Femver Blonde Co.), and Orcs in seasons 16-21 (Denvork Bronkorks). I’ve had mental health issues that have caused me to drop out and rejoin twice, most recently costing me last season and a long-awaited move into a really awesome division. Oh well.

So rather than jumping right back in with my Orcs, I’m putting them on hiatus for a season or two, while I find my feet with a fresh team. My new franchise is the New England Patriots, not exactly my favorite squad, but at least they have a nice history to draw from. This being a super high-TV league, I thought about the various elf races, but that’s just not my speed. I didn’t want to go super-heavy again: I can kick butt with Orcs near 3M gold and everybody knows it, nothing to prove there. So I decided on Humans.

May I present: ye Olde Reikland Paid Rioters!

I'll be posting match reports here, and undoubtedly the various nabobs of the NBFL will say what they will as well.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2019 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Preseason:

I started with four Blitzers, three Catchers, a Thrower, and seven Linemen, with one space for a star player, as I saw that my TV would be pretty low for the league. I took six re-rolls, an Assistant Coach, a Cheerleader, an Apothecary, and the standard FF 6 for new teams. I let Bazakastine talk me into taking three Catchers and only seven Linemen, but honestly, I should have grabbed a second Thrower and only two Catchers. C’est la vie. I’ve been roundly criticized for not starting with an Ogre, but honestly I don’t like them, and I’d rather not have to put up with a Bonehead Loner with no Block.

The draft went swimmingly, in my eyes, but I’ve taken some criticism for my selections.

I drew the second overall pick in the Compensation Draft (three rounds for new teams, with some picks mixed in for badly damaged teams), with the sixth pick in the second pool and the seventh in the third. (The Compensation Draft is actually three separate drafts with progressively less-desirable players.) In the main draft, I was slotted in with my last earned VP, but since I didn’t play last season I didn’t have playoff seeding: this got me picks #21 and #53 out of 55 picks.

I picked:
Comp Pool I: Stephone Attacker, a Lineman with +ST, Guard, Mighty Blow, and Tackle, with 62 SPP.
Comp Pool II: Doug Fruity, a Thrower with Kickoff Return, +AG, and a skill roll, which turned out to be a normal (I took Block). 34 SPP.
Comp Pool III: Andre Reed, a Lineman with Block, Guard, Tackle, and 47 SPP.
Main #21: Terminator Tim, a Blitzer with Dodge, Guard, Mighty Blow, and Tackle, plus 52 SPP.
Main #53: Charles Omenihu, a Blitzer with Mighty Blow, Tackle, Pro, and 45 SPP.

Everyone jumped on the first pick, because he doesn’t have Block. But I have played a lot of Humans, and let me tell you that one of the best players you can have is a Lineman who can function as a fifth Blitzer, and that the needed 14 SPP isn’t so bad for a player with Mighty Blow and Tackle. I pretty much knew I was going to get him, as I had the #2 pick in Pool I, and there was a Blitzer with +ST, MB, T, G, +AG on the board.

The others were all pleasant surprises. Fruity was my top choice in Pool II, Reed was my second choice in Pool III, Terminator Tim was my 4th choice in the main draft, and Omenihu was my fourth choice after I picked Terminator Tim (32 picks earlier). I was tickled pink. All the other players got six SPP and a free skill roll: my rolls were kind of meh, but I did get a +MA Blitzer, a +AG Lineman, and a third Guard Lineman.

Post   Posted: Aug 28, 2019 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Week 1 vs the D’Callous Heartthrobs (Wood Elves, Antithesisoftime):

The season opener was a cross-conference game. Anti was starting fresh too, with a Wood Elf squad. Wood Elves, like Humans, are rather precarious at this value, but when it all goes off, they can be great. She drafted a fascinating pair of Wardancers, one with +2 AG and Dirty Player, the other with +MA, +AG, and Guard. She also got herself a one-turner Catcher, a decent Thrower, and a Block, Juggernaut, [Skill] Lineman who rolled +ST! She also got another +ST Line-elf and a +MA Tree. I was getting 430k in inducements from a brand-new team. My heart just about leapt into my throat.

I needn’t have worried much. Nuffle led the way for me.

I took Zug, a Bribe, and a Dirty Trick (Distract). All three of these earned their keep. I won the coin toss, and elected to receive. Anti set up a right-handed 123 line (that is, players 1-3 squares to the south of the center square on the LOS), and left me room for either of two high-value blitzes, one on a Guard lino who I’d just love to pin down, the other on a Wardancer. Since the Guard lino was more accessible, I set up to go that way. A thrown rock stunned Stephone Attacker, but I got the line down and fouled the Tree into a stun so I could get my players clear on the next turn. I blitzed the Guard lino, and decided to tempt fate by stepping Fruity up to the center of my half, with the ball, so as to give the Heartthrobs’ Wardancers a remote blitz. I was figuring it was just too many rolls, and even a knockdown that didn’t break armor wouldn’t have been all that useful, with just two Dancers, out of move.

I was gambling on “too many 2+ rolls” and it may have worked, but we’ll never know, because the GFI to 2d blitz never came: Anti misclicked to a Move action, and the hit was lost. This turned into a catastrophe, as Omenihu maimed the +2 AG DP Wardancer, and the Apothecary turned it into a MNG. This put Omenihu in skilling range with an MVP. Then Fruity KO’ed the other Dancer, and the drive was all mine. Honestly, I played rather sloppily after that point, even allowing a 2d blitz on the Thrower, but it failed, and both +ST WE Linemen landed in the Badly Hurt bin as I marched downfield and did a 2+ Quick Pass for a score by the MA8 Lineman. A Perfect Defense ruined D’Callous’s OTS attempt.

In the second half, Anti took the ball and set up a deep, conservative defense. Unfortunately for her, I got another PD, reducing her options drastically. Even worse, on her first turn, she set her remaining Wardancer in Stephone Attacker’s blitzing range, resulting in a RIP, and both Dancers out of the game. I did leave an opening, but I had players to cover any breakaways. Anti advanced her Catchers out to maximum range, then punted the ball deep. It wasn’t a terrible play, but it didn’t work. We got one Catcher stunned, and pinned the other with Tackle, then played Distract. Anti’s TD play was foiled when she had to reroll Bonehead: she safely dodged away at 3+/2+, but failed the pickup. While she did manage to scrum a bit, I finally got the ball free in the hands of the speedy Blitzer. I planned to score with him, but Attacker scored his third Casualty, so I handed off to him to get him up to MVP range after he scored in the closing seconds. I must have been blood-drunk, because I was fouling up to turn 15. I probably should have stopped after putting a ST loss on her one-turner in turn 13. She was done.

Outcome: 2-0 win. 8-0 Cas. 24 SPP earned. I nominated Omenihu (45+2 SPP), Attacker (62+9 SPP), and Reed (47 SPP). Omenihu drew the MVP and rolled +ST! This is especially welcome, since he was going to get Dauntless. Now he’s not. Smile

Next up: the New York Genocides, a DoK outfit, also brand-new. They won their first matchup against the Buffalo Psycho Billies. Should be fun.