38 coaches online • Server time: 10:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Slanncandance

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys.
I just joined a local tabletop league and picked up Slann. Im looking for skill up and future purchace advice. Its not going to be a long league 8-10 matches max pending on placement. There are 8 teams total and its mostly Bashy using LRB 6
My line-up is
Krox
1x Blitz
3x Catcher
6x Linefrogs
3x Re-rolls
1x Fan Factor
20k bank
TV 1080k
I won my first game 3-1 vs Lizards skilled up my Blitzer and gave him Block(very casual league I may be able to change prior to next match before its perm)

Opposing teams are
Khorne(next match), Ogres, Halflings, Lizardmen, Necromantic, Amazon and Dwarves

Thanks for any advice!
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

An 11-man roster seems optimistic in such a meta, and with so few games I would not have bought the blitzer. But too late to do anything about that now. Get another lineman ASAP (you don't want to field three catchers on defense, if nothing else), and a reroll if you can. Linefrogs are surprisingly good players, and should het Wrestle to threaten the leaping sack. Other than that, good luck!
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there, nice team! The Krox is a great support for frogs, as he can take quite a few hits. If you skill him give him guard or break tackle. Linefrogs are basically human linemen that can also leap. Block or wrestle are good first skills. The catchers are handling the ball as runners/throwers/catchers give them dodge and block as fast as possible! The blitzers are really expensive, but they get quite good once they skill: wrestle, block, dodge and mb are all good skills!
Mattius

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

They are quite an interesting team and i think people here could write a few pages for you. One tip i would give (similar for Vamps), don't feel that you have to try to sack the ball with leap, just because you can. The great thing with Slaan is leap and wrestle/strip ball etc. But it's risky and can often be an 'all in' strategy. Frogs are not much worse than Humans and can win without leaping. Hence leaping should be more your 'Ace card' rather than your plan A. Use it carefully else your team can evaporate very quickly.
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Lucky that the other teams are also AG 3. This means you can hold your leap attack on the ball until very late in a drive, maybe Turn 6 or 7, and even if you can't get to the ball to pick it up after you wrestle their carrier down, you can make such a mess of things that they might not be able to recover, pick it up, and still score on their drive.

So like Mattius said, don't leap as soon as you get the chance early, unless you can see a very decent chance for a good bounce AND have a catcher who might be able to pick it up AND get to protection, so he might score a turn or so later.

Just the threat of your Wrestle leap attack on the ball will make most coaches play differently than they normally would.

Keep a catcher safe at all times, you need one alive to finish off your ball stealing play. A good opposing coach will hunt your catchers with a vengeance.

Keep the expensive, Diving Tackle blitzer out of harm's way until his Diving Tackle can really mess with the enemy's plans.

And enjoy the fact that, no matter what happens, you opponents will always be dreading that fact that the frogs WILL be attacking that ball, sooner or later.

On offense? Get it to a catcher, then safely pass it to another protected catcher to leap-score whenever you can. Get back on defense, where you can steal, stall, leap, and threaten. Stalling for an 8-Turn drive is harder to do than with a bash team, especially if your first 4 blocks yield no KO's. Possible.. but harder.

Have fun.. and don't forget they can all leap! Instead of a 3+ dodge out of a tackle zone, always leap to, and expect to crash in, the square that will most annoy your opponent. He can't move where a stunned slann clutz is having a nap.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2020 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice so far! I was pun intended wrestling with taking wrestle or block for the blitzer.
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Block for blitzers in my opinion.. wrestle for linos

Proud Member of the SWL
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 01:42
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I’d recommend reading this discussion involving some very good Slann coaches. And me.

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=27825&highlight=starting+slann

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Fingard

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2020 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Normally block is good on blitzers and wrestle on linos, but you have few matches so I really would consider to take wrestle now.

You will face a lot of dodge in your league (after Khorne) so consider tacking tackle sooner than you would.

I would try to rush for a wrestle-tackle and unfortunately your blitzer seems the best (and only) candidate (you know that diving tackle doesn't stack well with wrestle).

Rerolls: save a reroll for the last turns, at all costs. You will need it both on offence and on defence.

Easy prediction: you have no strength and no skills. Matches against amazons and especially dwarves will be very hard (unless coaches are very bad). Other matches are manageable, and you are even in advantage vs st2 ball-carriers teams (if they don't bash your team down)
CatsLaughing

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2020 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
I’d recommend reading this discussion involving some very good Slann coaches. And me.

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=27825&highlight=starting+slann

That was a great thread. Very informative.

Really enjoying Slaan in my local gaming group's covid-enforced FUMBBL league.
neilwat

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2020 - 08:33
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Agree on block for blitzers and wrestle for lino's ASAP.

Catchers are block/dodge

You will need an apothecary as soon as possible.

If you have used humans before they play very much like them but you lack the core skills but that the leap in the bag to pull off some elf like BS when needed.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2020 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never ever taken break tackle on slann krox before. So Guard, StandFirm before any dodgy stuff. All linemen get Wrestle on my teams, except those that rolled double, and took Mb or Guard. I am personally a big fan of Wrestle+Dauntless catchers, so i tend not to take Dodge lately.