56 coaches online • Server time: 17:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CoachBuck

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 17:50 Reply with quote Back to top

The rule says: "A blitz allows the player to move and make a block. The block may be made at any point during the move, but costs one square of movement for the player to make. The player may carry on moving after the effects of the block have been worked out if he has any squares of movement left."

The issue I'm having is getting charged for GFIs when blitzing, and not really knowing how to predict it. If I have a M4 player, I use my blitz, and throw a block after moving 4 squares, will I get charged a GFI for the "one square of movement cost"? If I follow up will I get charged a GFI?

I understand that if I were to move 5 with that M4 player I'd have to make a GFI, but would it also require another GFI to throw the block?

Basically I've been getting these suprise GFIs, and it would really help to know when they're coming.

34 games in, so still pretty new. Thanks!
Timetis

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 17:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hiya,

A good way to think about it is that the player blitzing steps in the square of his target before landing a hit. If that step goes over his M allowance, he has to succeed a gfi or fall flat.

So if a M4 player is 4 squares away from its target, it moves 4 steps to cover the distance, and one more to block the player.

Depending on the result of the blockdice, the player can follow up for free (having already spent that movement point with a gfi roll before the block dice happened).
Endzone

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The block in your blitz action as counts as a square of movement. If you get a push back or POW result you may then follow up for free as usual without it counting as a second square of movement.
Endzone

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

So in your example, if there are 4 squares between you and your opponent and you choose to blitz, you move your 4 squares of movement and then will have to go for it to then make the block. If you get a push back or POW you may move in for free and whether you move in or not, you may then GFI a second time.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Just to add a detail to the explanations above: if you need a GFI before making the block, and the GFI fails (and you don't rr it or you still fail the GFI after rr) then your turn ends and the block doesn't take place.

Now, specific answers to your questions:

CoachBuck wrote:

If I have a M4 player, I use my blitz, and throw a block after moving 4 squares, will I get charged a GFI for the "one square of movement cost"?

Yes, basically you must pay in advance for the square you could occupy in case you decided to follow up after a push back or push/pow result, no matter if after the block you follow up or not, you must pay first for that extra square you could use.

CoachBuck wrote:

If I follow up will I get charged a GFI?

No, because you already paid in advance for that follow-up square by rolling the GFI BEFORE actually throwing the block.

CoachBuck wrote:

I understand that if I were to move 5 with that M4 player I'd have to make a GFI, but would it also require another GFI to throw the block?

Yes. If the MA 4 player is away 5 squares from the opponent: 4 MA + 1 GFI just to get adjacent to the target of the block, then another GFI before actually throwing the block: if that GFI succeeds then you can throw the block and even follow up if you roll either push or push pow.

Last edited by MattDakka on Mar 29, 2020 - 18:27; edited 1 time in total
CoachBuck

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I see, that all makes sense now. Yeah, the situation: Black Orc, Moves 4 to make the blitz, fails the GFI, falls, and the turn ends. I thought I had an easy 2d block on the blitz lol. It also makes more sense why you can't blitz after your 2 normal GFIs.

Just one further question dealing with the same issue:

Will a frenzy player ever have to make additional GFIs in it's follow up blocks? Say you had a M5 Frenzy player. He uses the blitz, moves 5, passes the first GFI, and gets a push. Will the player ever need to make another GFI in the following blocks?

Thanks for all the responses!
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, Frenzy players are forced by the Frenzy skill to always follow up if they can (if they rolled Both Down results they would stop, so Juggernaut is nice on them to turn the Both Down into a Push Back during a Blitz action), rolling the GFI if required to do it, unless they have no further MA and GFIs left to try (i.e. GFIs are limited as usual, not infinite).

Last edited by MattDakka on Mar 29, 2020 - 19:08; edited 1 time in total
CoachBuck

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

So, say that M5 frenzy played moved 6 on their blitz. They would roll a GFI to move the extra, and another GFI to throw the block. Since they technically don't have any GFIs left, would they no longer be able to take the extra block from their frenzy?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2020 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Correct.
That player would need Sprint to be able to GFI again and throw the second Frenzy Block.
 Jump to: